Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Hello
Hello
Found this place seeking info on cpap issues. Wanted to say hello. When I get better informed I'll bend y'alls ear for advice.  Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Hello
(12-13-2018, 05:34 PM)basscatlildave Wrote: Found this place seeking info on cpap issues. Wanted to say hello. When I get better informed I'll bend y'alls ear for advice.  Thanks

Welcome to the Apnea Forum.

"bend y'alls ear for advice" is how you get better informed.

What are your CPAP issues?

Fred
Post Reply Post Reply
My AHI's are still too high. . My DR. said thats the best he can do so I'm seeking someone else. My average is 15 and he told me 2 years ago that our goal was 5 or less. The sleep study folks said I had central sleep apnea so I'm looking for a new DR.
Post Reply Post Reply
Is There Anybody Out There?...

Hi basscatlildave, and welcome to Apnea Board. Ask away on therapy questions, check out the wiki library full of useful info, and visit the virtual cafeteria for coffee and donuts. There's virtually every coffee and donut possible available...virtually that is.

Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
OK on to the serious stuff:

IMO we need you to identify specifically your CPAP machine and the mask, the pressure(s) you're running helps.

It will be suggested you post your sleep study report and some nightly reports via Sleepyhead and your SD card info. Any personal info needs redacted (AKA blacked out).

Also on the above mentioned sleep study, you should have your own copy of that in detail. If not, get it. And a copy of the titration and script should be in your possession as well. Legally via HIPAA you're allowed this, so don't buy the baloney if the Doc says you can't have it.

lots-o-coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The software Dave mentioned, Sleepyhead, is free. See the links below for where to find it, how to use it, and how to organize and post your data.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
We here at The Apnea Board have been successful with aiding many users with their Central Apnea.
What you need to get are your Sleep Studies.  You want a full copy, not just the summary.  You also want a copy of your prescription.  These will help you navigate to a new Doctor and a new DME.  Also attach them here, with your personal data redacted of course, so we can use them to help educate both yourself and your medical team.

SleepyHead lets you look at very detailed data, down to a breath by breath basis for the entire night if needed.  There is a lot you can tell by looking at the various waveforms.  So if you could post your nightly charts it would help a lot.  We tend to prefer to base advice on data.

Here is a list of types of apnea and the machines that are intended to treat that apnea.  I'd bet that you do NOT have an ASV machine.  
  • To treat obstructive apnea and minor hypopnea and for most initial treatments a standard Auto CPAP such as AirSense AutoSet (or for her) is appropriate.

• To treat obstructive apnea and hypopnea, and a standard Auto CPAP is insufficient the treatment of choice is the Aircurve 10 Vauto (has higher pressure and greater Pressure Support (PS) (similar to EPR) available

• To treat central apnea, the only appropriate therapy would be the Aircurve 10 ASV

• To treat obstructive or pulmonary restriction including hypoventilation, would be the Aircurve 10 ST

Your full sleep study will help us understand your apnea and thus provide better advice.

Here is how Central Apnea is defined.

Central sleep apnea (CSA) is defined as:
  1. An apnea-hypopnea index (AHI) greater than 5, and

2. The sum total of central apneas plus central hypopneas is greater than 50% of the total apneas and hypopneas, and

3. central apnea-central hypopnea index (CAHI) is greater than or equal to 5 per hour, and

4. The presence of at least one of the following: Sleepiness, Awakening short of breath, Difficulty initiating or maintaining sleep, frequent awakenings, or nonrestorative sleep, Snoring, Witnessed apneas

5. There is no evidence of daytime or nocturnal hypoventilation
Complex sleep apnea (CompSA) is a form of central apnea specifically identified by all of the following:
  1. With use of a positive airway pressure device without a backup rate (E0601 (CPAP) or E0470 BiLevel/BiPAP wo Backup), the polysomnogram (PSG) shows a pattern of apneas and hypopneas that demonstrates the persistence or emergence of central apneas or central hypopneas upon exposure to CPAP (E0601) or a bi-level device without backup rate (E0470) device when titrated to the point where obstructive events have been effectively treated (obstructive AHI less than 5 per hour).

2. After resolution of the obstructive events, the sum total of central apneas plus central hypopneas is greater than 50% of the total apneas and hypopneas; and

3. After resolution of the obstructive events, a central apnea-central hypopnea index (CAHI) greater than or equal to 5 per hour.

Central Sleep Apnea (CSA) is the cessation of respiratory effort result in a lack of respiratory movements. During sleep, your breathing is disrupted regularly because of how your brain functions, your brain simply doesn't tell your body to breathe, and therefore you don't try to breathe.

The bottom line is that we can and will help you if you so choose.

Fred
Post Reply Post Reply
I tried to post a pic of a couple of days and it said I have not posted enough to put up a pic.  I'll put up something in the next few days. 
Thanks Dave
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello & welcome! I'm still a new guy myself and have benefited greatly from the advice and tips from the members. 

Great place to be!  Thumbs-up-2
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-19-2018, 02:35 PM)basscatlildave Wrote: I tried to post a pic of a couple of days and it said I have not posted enough to put up a pic.  I'll put up something in the next few days. 
Thanks Dave

First, download #Sleepyhead software.
Use the links below in my signature line to guide you. Follow the directions on organizing your chart,
Then use the attachment feature to post your data here.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.