Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Hello!
Hello!
Hello everyone!  

I've been struggling with my cpap for a few years now and I'm very happy to find this place!

I'm 50 and I'm a very big guy (competitive powerlifter).  Depending on the season I can be 275lbs or more.

I have  Phillips Dream Station and have been using a Simplus RollFit Full Face mask.

I'm a side sleeper and the leaks usually wake me up sometimes more than every hour.

I've ordered a Resmed F20 mask and hope that will help.

Up until now I have never tracked my sleep stats but I will begin today when I get home from work.

In the past few years I go through phases where I use the cpap regularly, then I get so tired of the leaks waking me up that I stop using it completely, then after a little while I am so sleepy all day long that I can't function properly so I go back to fighting with the mask.

I really look forward to learning all I can from you guys and this seems to be a great group!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Hello!
Trying a new mask sounds like exactly the right move for you. When you get it, go on line to find fitting videos.

Give it a fair trial, and if it doesn’t work, try another one. Some people have to try a bunch before they find the one that’s best for them.

Other variables to consider: mask liner, special pillow.

I hope the F20 turns out to be “the one” for you. Good luck!
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you!

I'll take a look at liners and a special pillow as well!
Post Reply Post Reply
Go on top of the main page, go in the ''wiki'', type in ''mask primer''. You'll find a lot of information on mask fitting. 

sb.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, I will do that right now.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you want to learn more about your therapy download free OSCAR software, transfer 1 or 2-night results from your sd card (machine to computer), send in charts & some very knowledgable members will analyze them & guide you in the right direction. 

Start a new thread detailing more on what you want to ask, ex: chart analyzing or mask leak problem, be more precise on your post request. 
You're liable to have more people reading your post & answering you.

BTW welcome to ABF.   Hope this helps a bit! 

sb.
Post Reply Post Reply
You simply HAVE TO get those leaks to disappear pretty much entirely.  Anything that arouses you brings you out of your natural cascade into deeper levels of sleep.  

With that agreed to (?), you will have to make a concerted, and perhaps unpleasant, effort to avoid side-sleeping, or only how you tend to do it.  That might mean getting a different pillow, already suggested, or a different mask, even different headgear, or learning how to orient your head on a pillow such that the mask doesn't get deflected or deformed.

This will be a challenge, and as I have already alluded, it may be nothing like fun for several weeks until perhaps exhaustion compels you to sleep as best suits your equipment and its function.  Please stick with it, even through the awful nights, as you learn what is going to work.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sifuhall, it is worth trying a Resmed Airfit P20 mask unless you KNOW you just can't use nasal therapy and breathing through your mouth. The P20 is one of the smallest masks on the market, and with the large nasal pillows flows a lot of air in a way that keeps congestion away, and rarely leaks. Since the complete mask is about $70, it's worth a try. If you can wean off the big full-face masks I think you will be a lot happier.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.