Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Hello! And some advice please
Hello! And some advice please
Just as an intro, I'm a 54 year old bloke from Scotland who scored highly on both the Epworth and Annoyed Wife scale.

As a result, I got in touch with my Doc. He said it's almost certain OSA so has referrered me to a sleep clinic. Problem is there is a huge waiting list so I bought myself a Viatom Checkme O2 out of interest...fair to say I was a bit shocked at the results...so far:

Night 1 - O2 score=6; Drops>4% 119; Dph=20; Lowest SpO2=79
Night 2 - O2 score= 5.7; Drops>4%=146; Dph=7.4; Lowest SpO2=79
Night 3 - O2 score= 3.0; Drops>4%=39, Dph=4.5; Lowest SpO2=73
Night 4 - O2 score= 4.3; Drops>4%=190;Dph=25.6; Lowest SpO2=76

So I have a few queries if you would be so kind (please remember I an a total newbie!):

1. From these readings, 99.99% chamce I have OSA, right? Looks like mild to moderate?
2. How does one easily convert the data into AHI? I could sift through all the data of course but is there a quicker way?
3. The sleep clinic could take 6 months plus to get me seen - should I just buy a machine and mask (ResMed 10 and Dreamweaver full face fitting kit I think are the most recommended - I'm a mouth breather and sleep on my side... ). Or do I wait for a diagnoisis? For clarity, I do NOT need a prescription in the UK to buy the machine and mask privately.
4. If I do buy all the kit, will the readings I am already taking help determine the settings for the machine?

Sorry if I'm asking a lot - any help appreciated y'all. This is the start of a journey for me that will hopefully imrpove my standard of living and reduce health risks.

Thanks!
Jamie
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Hello! And some advice please
Welcome to Apnea Board!

With oxygen levels dipping that low, it's possible that it points to Sleep Apnea. But it's not 100% to diagnose SA from an oxygen meter.

Are your oxygen levels normal during the daytime?

I would at least schedule the sleep test, and in the meantime, if you're able, go ahead and purchase an APAP. Buy one that is supported by OSCAR. We highly recommend the ResMed AirSense 10 Auto or the newer AirSense 11.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the response!

Yes, O2 levels are fine during the day (except when I fall asleep because of SA (probably!))

I'll certainly go ahead and wait for the letter to come through and get a diagnosis as I appreciate it might be something else...it's just that I'd rather do what I can now as I'm concerned about leaving it too long! I've left it for fat too long already...

I suppose I can try it out and if it's not suitable, can donate or sell on.

I can't see that the 11 is on sale in the UK yet so would go for the 10 - any indication what the setting should be, or just trial an error?

I've had a look at the full mask reviews and it seems the Dreamweaver might do the job. Noise isn't an issue as we both wear earplugs!

Thanks again
Post Reply Post Reply
The low levels of O2 only mean to look deeper. What really matters are the time at or below xx%, it is duration that matters. Often the low spikes are from a disturbance to the sensor. If you could post those numbers it would help.

IMHO get a ResMed AutoSet, either the 10 or 11.

For day 1:
Assuming used, Factory reset to ensure all settings are in default setting.
Mode: Auto
Pressure=4
EPR= off
Ramp = off

Why? This is the minimum this device can be set for. This is as close as you can get to a diagnostic test that you can get. I'm not assuming this will be comfortable but tuff it out. This will either tell us you definitely have sleep apnea or that you are well treated at min pressures. It cannot tell if that you do not have apnea.

Night 2:
Adjust for what was found
Likely to. E something like
Mode: Auto
Min pressure = 7 to allow room for the EPR to fully function plus comfort
Max pressure = 15 not that important but gives room to see what the auto algorithm is doing. Properly adjusted you should never get near the max.
EPR=2, comfort plus treats hypopnoea, flow limitations and RERAs
Ramp= off

Of course post OSCAR charts after both nights
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for this.

Done some xcel number crunching - the below 90% range from a few seconds to more than 20 seconds...often in the low 80s/high 70s.

At least 10 of these per night are for more than 10 secs...

I've ordered at at home private test that is an accepted medical diagnosis - results only take a few days so will let you know.

THanks for all the help so far!
J
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 16 296 6 hours ago
Last Post: Expat31
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 172 Yesterday, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New Here, Been using OSCAR, Need Advice Regarding Adjustments FrankReality 26 868 03-26-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: FrankReality
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 43 1,802 03-25-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: Uzupan
  [Pressure] Looking for advice about ASV settings rosebladepat 7 144 03-15-2024, 07:12 PM
Last Post: rosebladepat
  [Treatment] Looking for Advice jlacassin 0 79 03-15-2024, 03:51 PM
Last Post: jlacassin
  [Treatment] CPAP to Bilevel advice kkjacks 21 800 03-12-2024, 01:33 PM
Last Post: kkjacks

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.