Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Hello-I'm new here and some questions
Hello-I'm new here and some questions
[parts of this thread were copied from the old forum]

ProudDad Wrote:Hi!

First, thank you for having this forum available! It's good to have others to talk with.

Recently I was diagnosed with sleep apnea. I have been to two different tests. The first night they just hooked wires up to me and had a tube run under my nostrils and I slept normally. The second test, conducted over 4 weeks after the first, they hooked the wires up to me and put me on a CPAP with mask that covered my mouth and nose. I haven't actually been able to talk to my doctor yet so I do not know the severity, but the tech that conducted the second test told me not to be surprised if the doctor put me on a machine, that's about all he would/could say... I am waiting for my doctor to get the results of the second test and make his diagnosis.

Background-I talked to my doctor about having myself tested because my wife was STRONGLY suggesting I do so. She wakes me up frequently during the night telling me "BREATH!" or to make me roll over off my back so she can set some sleep.

The day after my second test, the one on the CPAP, I felt better than I have felt in a very long time. I have accepted the fact that a CPAP may be in my future, and actually look forward to it after experiencing the benefit of a night of sleeping with one.

So now I am educating myself on CPAP machines, so I'll be better prepared to select one should my doctor prescribe it. I have some questions:

Questions for other members:
Based on your personal experience, what machine would you recommend? Any machines that should be avoided? What features are most useful? Least useful?

Does anyone have any advice for dealing with my insurance? Things to look out for etc...

Thank you in advance.
Glenn
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Hello-I'm new here and some questions
Hi Glenn and welcome to Apnea Board!

When dealing with your insurance company, keep in mind that they may have certain cost restrictions for covered CPAPs. Also, some insurance companies only cover certain types of machines. Find out first, so you're not wasting your time. Usually more sophisticated machines are not covered unless and until your doctor has determined that you are non-responsive to standard CPAP therapy. Also, some insurance companies may only pay for rental of a CPAP unit, and then agree to pay for one once they are certain CPAP will help solve your problem and you are being compliant with the treatment. Usually, their break even time period is 6-12 months of rental, and then you might have to call them up and suggest that they purchase the machine for you, rather than keep spending the rather expensive monthly fees for rental. If they agree, the machine is yours to keep (which is nice if you ever lose your insurance coverage for any reason).

There are way too numerous types of CPAP machines to list all the various features here, but when you're looking, consider things like: is it durable, does it include a carrying case, the ability to use foreign currents, the capability to adjust for different altitudes, an attached heated humidifier, ramping (allows for a gradual pressure increases), size of machine (for travel), easy to read display, a way to track compliance built into the machine and way to retrieve the data, & DC current operations via a car battery.

On the different types, standard CPAP has continuous pressure at one setting only. Bi-level (BiPAP) devices with two different pressures, one for inhalation and a lower pressure for exhalation. There are also auto-adjusting devices, designed to sense varying pressure needs as you sleep and to change the pressure automatically as needed. Some machines offer "C-Flex", and it is a less expensive way to help reduce the pressure as you exhale.

Some of the common brand names are: DeVilbiss, Fisher & Paykel, Puritan-Benett, ResMed, & Respironics. All of these are pretty reliable with quality equipment, some more expensive than others, however.

I personally use a Respironics Remstar Pro with C-Flex, and it has served me very well for about 5 years now. I like it because it is not too expensive, has Cflex, allowing me to exhale easier, it has an attachable heated humidifier, ramp feature, adjustable for different altitudes, has a DC current feature, and it's built like a rock.

You will notice that if your insurance company allows it, it is usually MUCH cheaper to purchase your machine and masks over the Internet than to go through a DME (Durable Medical Equipment supplier). On my machine, it was something like $900 through the DME and less than $400 over the Internet. My mask was something like $230 using a DME, and only $120 over the Internet.

Also, there are a world of difference in DMEs if that's the route you're going. Some providers have a horrendous reputation, others are relatively good. It would be worth your while to do a Google search on opinions of the various DMEs. Your sleep center may direct you to a specific local DME, but that does not necessarily mean you must use them. Your insurance company may prefer to deal with a specific DME also, so find out. Trust me, do your research and you'll save yourself a lot of headaches in the long run. I personally use Walgreens Home Health care, and have not had any major issues.

Anyway, I hope others chime in with their CPAP experiences.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
ProudDad Wrote:Thanks for the response SuperSleeper, it's the kind of information I am looking for.

Currently I'm still waiting for my Dr. to get the results and contact me. I did call his office yesterday and they had not yet received the results of my last test. After reading up on the subject I do believe my second test was a titration, so I am optimistic about getting a xPAP machine. While the thought of sleeping with a mask does not thrill me, the thought of feeling better, as I did the day after my titration, is exciting.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, if you have to go to your sleep center for two nights, the first night is to determine whether or not you have Sleep Apnea. The second night is used for a "titration" (they hook you up to a CPAP machine and other equipment to determine your optimum pressure setting). Increasingly, sleep centers do these both in one night, the first few hours you sleep to determine if you have Sleep Apnea, and if you do, they wake you up later to put a mask on you for the titration.

So glad you felt better the day after your titration, that's a good indication that CPAP may work well for you. Give it time though, it does take some getting used to. Stay with it.
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
gene Wrote:Glenn,

There are many types of XPAP machines available. Once they are FDA Approved you can be pretty sure that they will last for at least 5 years........usually longer, if not abused.

I believe (after 14 years + on CPAP) that the most important piece of equipment is the mask. If the mask isn't right for you, the type of machine will make no difference......because the treatment just won't work.

I suggest that initially, you find out your titrated pressure, whether you are a nose or mouth breather and then discuss mask options with your supplier. Sort out the mask first, then look at machines.
Post Reply Post Reply
badfrog Wrote:I was started on the respironics Tranquility auto cpap in 2001, it was used with very low hours on it. I used it every night up untill 2 weeks ago when I purchased a respironics Remstar M series Aflex.
It is very, very quiet compared to the older Tranquility.
I got my new one off of Amazon for a good price, brand new with the humidifier unit.

I have no insurance coverage for such purchases or can afford another sleep study to get an updated prescription for the thousand+ dollars that going the "legal" route costs for the new cpap and sleep study.

This is a great cpap and right out of the package it is set to where you do not need to adjust it much!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 163 03-27-2024, 06:45 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  Juniper's questions juniper 12 272 03-21-2024, 07:40 AM
Last Post: juniper
  New - so many questions Matsu1 4 267 02-25-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  A few questions!! Iceracer 2 309 01-19-2024, 07:53 PM
Last Post: Iceracer
  Need Help. Many Questions wkennedy 6 467 12-31-2023, 10:50 AM
Last Post: wkennedy
  My treatment fun. Questions. robbob2112 15 1,602 10-26-2023, 10:19 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Newbie questions - What am I seeing? lmftit 0 358 09-04-2023, 04:44 PM
Last Post: lmftit

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.