Humidifier: ResMed S9 Autoset
CPAP Pressure: 17-20
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Male

RE: Hello, I'm new to this forum.
(04-11-2013 10:53 PM)tekis Wrote:  It's here! Going to try it tonight...Thanks

Yay!

Be sure to post back with how the first night went and any further questions.
04-11-2013 11:24 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
tekis Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: unsure
Humidifier: ResMed
CPAP Pressure: 4-13

Other Comments: Mild Sleep Apnea, Restless Leg Syndrome (severe), and Alpha Intrusion

Well, last night was not very good to say the least. The machine said that I used it for 2.5 hours and my AHI was 7.0. Do I need to tell you that I feel worse today than I did without it? Isn't this thing supposed to help me? This is a similar experience to my last CPAP usage, though not quite as bad. We will see what happens tonight....
04-12-2013 10:18 AM
tekis Offline

Preferred Members

Other Comments: Mild Sleep Apnea, Restless Leg Syndrome (severe), and Alpha Intrusion

Last night (2nd night): 5.8 hours, AHI 5.5--I feel worse than yesterday, but I'm choosing to stay positive and hopeful. I read about 20 "CPAP Success Stories..."

When does one investigate a different type/style of mask? I ordered a chin strap, SD card, card reader, today too. Thanks
(This post was last modified: 04-13-2013 12:54 PM by tekis.)
04-13-2013 12:54 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Sleepster Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: ResMed AirCurve10 VAuto
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: HumidAir and SlimLine Hose
CPAP Pressure: MaxI 13.6 | MinE 5.2 | PS 4.4
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Diagnosed Nov 2011. Conquered aerophagia.

(04-13-2013 12:54 PM)tekis Wrote:  Last night (2nd night): 5.8 hours, AHI 5.5--I feel worse than yesterday, but I'm choosing to stay positive and hopeful. I read about 20 "CPAP Success Stories..."

It takes time. Some of us actually feel worse when we start because the machine interferes with our ability to sleep. But you have work through it to get the pay off. The alternative is a shortened lifespan. You will feel better eventually.

Quote:When does one investigate a different type/style of mask?

When you're having problems with your current mask. Some people find nasal pillows more comfortable than a nasal mask because it allows us to sleep more comfortably.

Sleepster
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
04-13-2013 07:41 PM
vsheline Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: S9 VPAP Adapt (USA Model# 36007, not better 36037 or 36067)
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F10 or SimPlus w/ 2Liners. MirageQuatro & Gecko gel pad
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 15 EPAP, PS 5-10
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments: Marfan Syndrome, chronic bradycardia, occasional Cheyne-Stokes Respiration

(04-12-2013 10:18 AM)tekis Wrote:  Well, last night was not very good to say the least. The machine said that I used it for 2.5 hours and my AHI was 7.0. Do I need to tell you that I feel worse today than I did without it? Isn't this thing supposed to help me? This is a similar experience to my last CPAP usage, though not quite as bad. We will see what happens tonight....

Hi tekis,

What was the breakdown of Central Apnea versus Obstructive Apnea?

Also, I think you will need to look at the time plots of the data using ResScan or SleepyHead, to help us see what (if anything) is not right. This will also show you how long each event is lasting.

I like ResScan.

Perhaps you could post a plot of your data showing Events and pressure and Flow, with the whole night (or session) filling the screen.

Also, I zoom in on my Flow and High Rate Pressure plots and, using a zoomed-in scale of 5 minutes (or even 1 minute) filling the screen, I hold down on the horizontal scroll key and watch the show.

Take care
--- Vaughn

Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment. The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies - not on matters concerning treatment for Sleep Apnea. I think it is now too late to change the name of the group but I think Voting Member group would perhaps have been a more descriptive name for the group.
(This post was last modified: 04-14-2013 12:49 PM by vsheline.)
04-14-2013 07:01 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
tekis Offline

Preferred Members

(04-14-2013 07:01 AM)vsheline Wrote:  
(04-12-2013 10:18 AM)tekis Wrote:  Well, last night was not very good to say the least. The machine said that I used it for 2.5 hours and my AHI was 7.0. Do I need to tell you that I feel worse today than I did without it? Isn't this thing supposed to help me? This is a similar experience to my last CPAP usage, though not quite as bad. We will see what happens tonight....

Hi tekis,

What was the breakdown of Central Apnea versus Obstructive Apnea?

Also, I think you will need to look at the time plots of the data using ResScan or SleepyHead, to help us see what (if anything) is not right. This will also show you how long each event is lasting.

I like ResScan.

Perhaps you could post a plot of your data showing Events and pressure and Flow, with the whole night (or session) filling the screen.

Also, I zoom in on my Flow and High Rate Pressure plots and, using a scale of 5 minutes across the screen, I hold down on the horizontal scroll key and watch the show.

Take care
--- Vaughn

I haven't set all the data stuff up yet. This week...
04-14-2013 11:05 AM
tekis Offline

Preferred Members

Last night was another bad night. I've got a slight headache today and my feet hurt like crazy. I'm going to try a different bed tonight coupled with using a tv at low volume--something I saw on an Alpha Intrusion forum. Thinking-about
04-15-2013 02:20 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
tekis Offline

Preferred Members

RE: Hello, I'm new to this forum - not able to acclimate to CPAP
You know, I didn't use the CPAP last night and I feel MUCH better today--better than any other day this week(used CPAP every night). This week was very unproductive using the CPAP. Just sayin'.
04-20-2013 01:11 PM
tekis Offline

Preferred Members

RE: Hello, I'm new to this forum - not able to acclimate to CPAP
Two nights in a row with about six hours each! While I still don't feel that great, it's good to know that I'm making some progress. Thanks for being here!
04-23-2013 01:17 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Tipiford Offline

Members

Mask Make & Model: Respironics ComfortGel Blue Nasal Mask
Humidifier: ResMed H5i with ClimateLine
CPAP Pressure: 8 - 12
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments:

(03-27-2013 11:38 PM)tekis Wrote:  Alright. Where shall I buy the machine from? Group conscious has convinced me that it's the right thing to do. I saw a price of around $850. Is this against the rules of the forum to ask this? If so, perhaps someone could private message me. Also, I would buy a used one. Thanks for all the kind support. I'm desperate to get better and start living. I feel like the walking dead. I may see my doctor tomorrow and I'll get her to write the prescription.

PS: Could someone please give me a couple of different models/makes. How's "Sleep Style" or the "S9 Escape Auto"? My doctor uses a firm which sells these brands.

I see you've already purchased a machine, but for others who may be looking, here's what I found. My beautiful young wife suggested looking on Craigslist, and I felt that that was not the place to look, as I didn't want to purchase a used machine. But impulse moved me to take a look and I saw two ResMed S9s, one used, one new. I purchased the new one for less than a third of what they're currently selling online--only had to buy a mask and Climateline (and a few extra filters).
05-06-2013 07:18 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Help - Am I on the correct Forum?? Dagswe21 22 823 11-15-2016 07:01 AM
Last Post: Dagswe21
  New to the forum. Question about face sweat Erato05 13 572 09-24-2016 01:54 PM
Last Post: 0rangebear
  New to this forum bugo 4 416 07-14-2016 06:38 AM
Last Post: trish6hundred
  Newbie to forum and Sleep Apnea afwife4 11 971 07-07-2016 07:31 PM
Last Post: Snowleopard28
  New to CPAP and Forum SylviaT 10 770 06-03-2016 10:17 AM
Last Post: AndyB
  New to the forum LordOChaos 13 848 06-02-2016 09:33 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New to forum - Huge AHI numbers! BigMike 22 1,518 05-15-2016 06:23 PM
Last Post: PaytonA