Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Hello, I'm new to this forum - not able to acclimate to CPAP
RE: Hello, I'm new to this forum.
UPDATE: I just bought a Remstar Pro2. It is data capable.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-27-2013, 11:38 PM)tekis Wrote: PS: Could someone please give me a couple of different models/makes. How's "Sleep Style" or the "S9 Escape Auto"? My doctor uses a firm which sells these brands.
You don,t want any ResMed with Escape in the name
ResMed S9 AutoSet and S9 Elite are data capable machines

Phillips Respironcis System one (PRS1) Pro and Auto are data capable machines
older PRS1 (50 series machines) Pro 450, Auto 550
new PRS1 with heated hose option (60 series machines), Pro 460, Auto 560

[Both S9 and PRS1 use SD card and don,t require any special card reader
PRS1 supported by SleepHead software
S9 supported by ResScan and SleepyHead software

PRS1 cheaper than S9 and as 50 series machines been discontinued, you can get a good price on the Auto
Check the supplier list ... Supplier #2

Post Reply Post Reply
Well, wish you had waited for answers. Yes, the Remstar Pro records data. However, I think the SmartCard means it is a proprietary card that needs a proprietary reader. I'm still trying to find out but it looks like that's the case. It is also a discontinued model since '07.

Ah, I found the smart card reader at one of the suppliers for $79. Another had it for $54.

If you can cancel the order, I would. In your case, an autoPAP would be the best choice as it can adjust for you, probably making it easier to tolerate.

Supplier #2 in the Supplier's List has some great deals on autoPAPs as well as regular CPAPs.

PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Okay, I will try and cancel it. What is an "autoPAP"?
Post Reply Post Reply
Same thing as an Automatic CPAP, like the ResMed S9 Autoset or the equivalent from Respironics.
(These medical companies sure do make all this crap complicated!)

Tongue
"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, I'm waiting to hear back whether I can cancel that old machine or not. I acted on impulse. There are so many models, with and without humidifiers, yes it's confusing. Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
In your case, trying to figure out what you need, I think an auto is the way to go. You can use it to figure out what pressure is optimum then either leave it that way or switch it to CPAP mode.

You would want the PRS1 Auto (Philips Respironics System 1 Auto) or the S9 Autoset. The PRS1 goes by the model number found on the bottom. The x60 is the newest but x50 is just as good. Avoid any machine by PR with the word "Plus" in the name, and any Resmed with "Escape" in the name.

Automatic PAPs (APAP, autoPAP, etc) use a range of pressures vs just one. Like mine is set to 12-17. When I first turn it on and go to sleep, my pressure starts out at 12. As I relax in sleep, the pressure increases as it senses the resistance of my throat closing. It does not jump around but rather goes in waves (at least that's how the graph looks). If I were to want to go to CPAP mode, I would look at the data to see what my 95th percentile is (which means the machine was at that number or below 95% of the night) and set that.

CPAPs stay at one set pressure no matter what is happening. Some people prefer this method. As long as the machine is data capable, then you would know if that one pressure is still working for you or if it needs to be tweaked a little.

In regards to "tweaking", the idea is to set the machine (in whatever mode) and leave it be for at least ten days, preferably longer. The idea is to see trends. Each night will be different as each day is different. What we eat, drink, do, think, feel, etc goes into how we sleep.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-28-2013, 10:34 AM)tekis Wrote: There are so many models, with and without humidifiers, yes it's confusing. Thanks.
Respironcis machines are confusing but the name should gives us a clue
Few years ago Phillips bought the company (Respironcis) and added Phillips to the name also launched System One series ... PR System One (PRS1)

[Image: which-remstar.jpg]
All PRS1 Auto are data capable machines and can be used either at fixed pressure (CPAP) or Auto (APAP)
[2 machines in 1 ... More bang for the buck]

Post Reply Post Reply
I slept with the machine last night until the early morning. Then I woke up and took it off. I feel so bad today. So tired and run-down--way more than usual. I want my legs amputated--they hurt so much. My heads feels swollen, and I've had a head-ache for most of the day. This just doesn't feel right. I can't perform my work. I feel like I'm making excuses to my clients--they sense my "lack of enthusiasm." How can I do a month of this? I don't want to do another night!
Post Reply Post Reply
Sorry for the rant. I get to return the first machine. I'll buy something better on Tuesday.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Flow LIMIT data missing tried to search forum Plmnb 16 268 03-10-2024, 01:10 PM
Last Post: Plmnb
  QQ: Looong time BiPAP user, new to ResMed/This forum haemaker 1 187 02-26-2024, 10:10 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New to the Forum Dial222 8 676 12-21-2023, 08:19 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Importing Oximetry Data and A Big Thanks To The Forum S. Manz 22 2,583 09-12-2023, 05:43 AM
Last Post: GordK
  [Admin Note] Forum Rules addition - Artificial Intelligence (AI) SuperSleeper 5 1,740 06-13-2023, 04:28 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  Thank to the forum search and all those you went before. CPAP machine. quiescence at last 1 498 04-13-2023, 11:51 PM
Last Post: SideSleeper
Arrow [Admin Note] MASTER DIRECTORY of Apnea Board forum resources SuperSleeper 0 7,703 11-04-2022, 12:58 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.