Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Hello, I'm new to this forum - not able to acclimate to CPAP
RE: Hello, I'm new to this forum.
(04-11-2013, 10:53 PM)tekis Wrote: It's here! Going to try it tonight...Thanks

Yay!

Be sure to post back with how the first night went and any further questions.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, last night was not very good to say the least. The machine said that I used it for 2.5 hours and my AHI was 7.0. Do I need to tell you that I feel worse today than I did without it? Isn't this thing supposed to help me? This is a similar experience to my last CPAP usage, though not quite as bad. We will see what happens tonight....
Post Reply Post Reply
Last night (2nd night): 5.8 hours, AHI 5.5--I feel worse than yesterday, but I'm choosing to stay positive and hopeful. I read about 20 "CPAP Success Stories..."

When does one investigate a different type/style of mask? I ordered a chin strap, SD card, card reader, today too. Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-13-2013, 12:54 PM)tekis Wrote: Last night (2nd night): 5.8 hours, AHI 5.5--I feel worse than yesterday, but I'm choosing to stay positive and hopeful. I read about 20 "CPAP Success Stories..."

It takes time. Some of us actually feel worse when we start because the machine interferes with our ability to sleep. But you have work through it to get the pay off. The alternative is a shortened lifespan. You will feel better eventually.

Quote:When does one investigate a different type/style of mask?

When you're having problems with your current mask. Some people find nasal pillows more comfortable than a nasal mask because it allows us to sleep more comfortably.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-12-2013, 10:18 AM)tekis Wrote: Well, last night was not very good to say the least. The machine said that I used it for 2.5 hours and my AHI was 7.0. Do I need to tell you that I feel worse today than I did without it? Isn't this thing supposed to help me? This is a similar experience to my last CPAP usage, though not quite as bad. We will see what happens tonight....

Hi tekis,

What was the breakdown of Central Apnea versus Obstructive Apnea?

Also, I think you will need to look at the time plots of the data using ResScan or SleepyHead, to help us see what (if anything) is not right. This will also show you how long each event is lasting.

I like ResScan.

Perhaps you could post a plot of your data showing Events and pressure and Flow, with the whole night (or session) filling the screen.

Also, I zoom in on my Flow and High Rate Pressure plots and, using a zoomed-in scale of 5 minutes (or even 1 minute) filling the screen, I hold down on the horizontal scroll key and watch the show.

Take care
--- Vaughn
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-14-2013, 07:01 AM)vsheline Wrote:
(04-12-2013, 10:18 AM)tekis Wrote: Well, last night was not very good to say the least. The machine said that I used it for 2.5 hours and my AHI was 7.0. Do I need to tell you that I feel worse today than I did without it? Isn't this thing supposed to help me? This is a similar experience to my last CPAP usage, though not quite as bad. We will see what happens tonight....

Hi tekis,

What was the breakdown of Central Apnea versus Obstructive Apnea?

Also, I think you will need to look at the time plots of the data using ResScan or SleepyHead, to help us see what (if anything) is not right. This will also show you how long each event is lasting.

I like ResScan.

Perhaps you could post a plot of your data showing Events and pressure and Flow, with the whole night (or session) filling the screen.

Also, I zoom in on my Flow and High Rate Pressure plots and, using a scale of 5 minutes across the screen, I hold down on the horizontal scroll key and watch the show.

Take care
--- Vaughn

I haven't set all the data stuff up yet. This week...
Post Reply Post Reply
Last night was another bad night. I've got a slight headache today and my feet hurt like crazy. I'm going to try a different bed tonight coupled with using a tv at low volume--something I saw on an Alpha Intrusion forum. Thinking-about
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Hello, I'm new to this forum - not able to acclimate to CPAP
You know, I didn't use the CPAP last night and I feel MUCH better today--better than any other day this week(used CPAP every night). This week was very unproductive using the CPAP. Just sayin'.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Hello, I'm new to this forum - not able to acclimate to CPAP
Two nights in a row with about six hours each! While I still don't feel that great, it's good to know that I'm making some progress. Thanks for being here!
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-27-2013, 11:38 PM)tekis Wrote: Alright. Where shall I buy the machine from? Group conscious has convinced me that it's the right thing to do. I saw a price of around $850. Is this against the rules of the forum to ask this? If so, perhaps someone could private message me. Also, I would buy a used one. Thanks for all the kind support. I'm desperate to get better and start living. I feel like the walking dead. I may see my doctor tomorrow and I'll get her to write the prescription.

PS: Could someone please give me a couple of different models/makes. How's "Sleep Style" or the "S9 Escape Auto"? My doctor uses a firm which sells these brands.

I see you've already purchased a machine, but for others who may be looking, here's what I found. My beautiful young wife suggested looking on Craigslist, and I felt that that was not the place to look, as I didn't want to purchase a used machine. But impulse moved me to take a look and I saw two ResMed S9s, one used, one new. I purchased the new one for less than a third of what they're currently selling online--only had to buy a mask and Climateline (and a few extra filters).

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Flow LIMIT data missing tried to search forum Plmnb 16 268 03-10-2024, 01:10 PM
Last Post: Plmnb
  QQ: Looong time BiPAP user, new to ResMed/This forum haemaker 1 185 02-26-2024, 10:10 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New to the Forum Dial222 8 676 12-21-2023, 08:19 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Importing Oximetry Data and A Big Thanks To The Forum S. Manz 22 2,583 09-12-2023, 05:43 AM
Last Post: GordK
  [Admin Note] Forum Rules addition - Artificial Intelligence (AI) SuperSleeper 5 1,740 06-13-2023, 04:28 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  Thank to the forum search and all those you went before. CPAP machine. quiescence at last 1 498 04-13-2023, 11:51 PM
Last Post: SideSleeper
Arrow [Admin Note] MASTER DIRECTORY of Apnea Board forum resources SuperSleeper 0 7,699 11-04-2022, 12:58 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.