Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Hello, I'm new to this forum - not able to acclimate to CPAP
RE: Hello, I'm new to this forum.
(03-27-2013, 11:38 PM)tekis Wrote: Clip...But impulse moved me to take a look and I saw two ResMed S9s, one used, one new. I purchased the new one for less than a third of what they're currently selling online--only had to buy a mask and Climateline (and a few extra filters).

That's a sweet deal! It must have just fell off the truckUnsure

Sounds like you are making progress... Just used mine for 3 nights now and my numbers are getting better. After reading some of the struggles here on the forum I guess I got lucky and just happened to get a mask I was happy with right off he bat. I did hang the hose so it did not strangle me and all has been good since then.

Wish I had done a sleep study years ago...
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Hello, I'm new to this forum.
(03-27-2013, 01:48 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Consider the CPAP to be a medication. Many medications take time to not just "get into your system" but often even longer to have results be noticeable. Medications also need to be adjusted and checked on a regular basis. CPAP use is no different.

Some people can take up to a year to notice enough of a difference. Some people take just a few nights.

If it has been a while since your last sleep test, I suggest having another one done. Besides just time, your weight loss may have affected it. And if you have insurance, get another machine. The "Plus" in your machine means it is a leaf blower. The only thing it tracks is hours used. Using the medication analogy, no doctor would ever prescribe hypertension medication yet never check the patient's blood pressure again. Avoid any Phillips Respironics with the word "Plus" in the name and any Resmed with "Escape" in the name. Icon is another good machine but software to read it is not free although the newer ones work with SleepyHead software.

How many masks did you try? Nearly all of us had to go through several masks to find the one that fit us and our sleep style.

Sit up during the day with the mask and machine on. This helps you and your body get used to the sensation of the air and the mask.

Just fig out a way to work in a 10AM nap and a 3pm nap as part of your daily routine. It has to be better than torchering your self with a Cpap. I have been on my Cpap for over 6 years and I miss my morning and afternoon naps!
Lee
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Hello, I'm new to this forum - not able to acclimate to CPAP
Hang in there. Machine saved my life, I was a week or two from death I think. I managed with the mask quite quickly since the alternative was death. Now cant sleep as power off for over one hour! My battery pack not here. My OSA is genetic, several cousins and a brother all on CPAP, from male side. My question is about my mother. I know that I held my breath during the day with activities, which probably helped save me from further damage to kidneys etc. I don't think she has OSA, but excessive daytime sleepiness persists, and I noted she breath holds with activity. Also a mouth breather. I am an RN, but can't find anything online to help me find a reason or a cause. Her MD not very sympathetic to the elderly, but minimal resources within her area.
Post Reply Post Reply
Brick 
RE: Hello, I'm new to this forum - not able to acclimate to CPAP
News Flash: I'm sleeping great again--WITHOUT CPAP! Whoo-hoo! Turns out it was a misdiagnosis. I sleep every night now and it's blue skies!! [per Apnea Board rules, portion of post has been removed --Admin] Thanks for you support everyone! Happy trails to ya! Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Flow LIMIT data missing tried to search forum Plmnb 16 264 03-10-2024, 01:10 PM
Last Post: Plmnb
  QQ: Looong time BiPAP user, new to ResMed/This forum haemaker 1 184 02-26-2024, 10:10 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New to the Forum Dial222 8 676 12-21-2023, 08:19 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Importing Oximetry Data and A Big Thanks To The Forum S. Manz 22 2,581 09-12-2023, 05:43 AM
Last Post: GordK
  [Admin Note] Forum Rules addition - Artificial Intelligence (AI) SuperSleeper 5 1,740 06-13-2023, 04:28 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  Thank to the forum search and all those you went before. CPAP machine. quiescence at last 1 498 04-13-2023, 11:51 PM
Last Post: SideSleeper
Arrow [Admin Note] MASTER DIRECTORY of Apnea Board forum resources SuperSleeper 0 7,699 11-04-2022, 12:58 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.