Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Hello...Newcomer with a bunch of questions. Longer apneas?
Smile 
Hello...Newcomer with a bunch of questions. Longer apneas?
Hi Everyone,

I don't why it's took so long for me to find this place. I was diagnosed a year and a half ago and have found sleep apnea completely maddening. It's a lonely road when you're trying to deal with this on your own. I've been frustated with my doctor and Apria Healthcare who I've found to be on the low end about education on this issue.

It's wonderful to have found a place where I can hear/read about everyone's experiences and suggestions. Thanks to all for that. This sleep apnea thing is such a headache but it does make a difference knowing there are others out with the same issues.

I wear my Amara full face mask every night and would say I feel maybe 50% better than before CPAP. I'm frustratrated with that % though it is better than before diagnosis when I was wondering my the heck was wrong with me.

I have questions that have been swirling around in my brain and would love any feedback from the group.

1. Is there a way to tell how long your Apneas are? How long I've stopped breathing for? I've been able to adjust my machine to where I have an AHI between 2 and 5 but still wake up feeling like I'm not breathing (while wearing the mask) and then in the morning have what I feel are low oxygen headaches and off energy and I'm thinking that maybe my lesser apneas are on the long side.

I know during the first half of my sleep study that my oxygen levels went down to 74%. After putting on the mask, my results were better (I felt great the morning after - having slept a lot better than usual that night - my results at the clinic using their machine were: 7 respiratory events consisting of 5 apneas [1 obstructive(20.0%), 0 mixed (0.0%), and 4 central (80.0%)] and 2 hypopneas. The mean oxygen saturation during the study was 94.0%, with a minimum oxygen saturation of 89.0%

2. I had a much better night of sleep the night of my sleep study so I'm happy with the CPAP # results but not quite sure how accurate they are. It's good that my AHI level was down after mask therapy but I'm concerned about the longer apneas with oxygen loss that I feel I have on a nightly basis which is effecting my energy and focus. I've ordered a oximeter to measure my oxygen levels but is there a way to correct longer apneas? Is that just a matter of increasing the pressure on your machine? Will the machine eventually make you breath even if you are on CPAP rather than Auto? Apria Healthcare set me up with the System One machine but I understand there are other machines out there that have more detailed data. Maybe that would help?

3. I have a deviated septum. Has anyone found that CPAP works better after having the surgery to correct this? Was it worth it?

4. I constantly have a feeling in the back of my throat like someone has flicked at my adam's apple area. It's not a pain but just an awareness most especially when I swallow. I attribute this to my closing airway when I'm sleeping. Is this common?

5. I have scheduled an endosocpy (dise procedure) to locate the area of my blockage. I have a long uvula and also have a couple of node growths in my airpassage. The doctor also wants to see if I could possibly be eligible for the Inspire Procedure. Has anyone here had that done? If so, how were the results?

6. Coffee and Alcohol. Are people sleeping better if they give them up? Are they feeling better if they are drinking more? Wink

7. What are people's experience with CPAP vs. AutoCPAP? Better results on one versus the other?

8. I have a full face mask but am curious about nasal. I've always thought that I'm a mouth breather but can you adjust to nose?

9. How tight should your mask be?

Thanks everyone! I very much appreciate your help.

Best, Dan

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Hello...Newcomer with a bunch of questions. Longer apneas?
(11-20-2015, 06:47 PM)westport Wrote: 1. Is there a way to tell how long your Apneas are? How long I've stopped breathing for? I've been able to adjust my machine to where I have an AHI between 2 and 5 but still wake up feeling like I'm not breathing (while wearing the mask) and then in the morning have what I feel are low oxygen headaches and off energy and I'm thinking that maybe my lesser apneas are on the long side.

Well, we don't really know what machine you are using since you haven't put enough details in your settings. Many modern CPAP/APAP machines record sophisticated data and we have a program available on this forum that will tell you all you want to know. It's called "Sleepyhead" and if you click on the link to it at the very top of the page that will tell you what machines it supports.

My opinion is that without good information you are shooting in the dark so far as treating your apnea well is concerned. And it is also my opinion that SleepyHead is the best program for doing this. It was written by apnea patients for apnea patients.

Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to Apnea Board, westport

1- Yes, but you'll need to download the software http://www.sleepfiles.com/SH2/
With full face mask, you can breathe through your mouth as well as your nose

2- The machine doesn't breathe for you, just try keep the airways open while you're sleeping providing the settings is optimal for the job
Since your profile shows "CPAP Pressure: 8-10", assume you're using PRS1 Auto, if correct, the machine report detailed data on the SD card

3- I had the deviated septum surgery two years ago, breathing slightly better afterwards, not cure for OSA

4 & 5 - No idea, see your GP
I wouldn't recommend those surgeries, CPAP is the golden standard treatment for OSA

6- Don't give them up, but don't drink any at least 6 hours before bedtime

7- I get better results with APAP, not every night is the same as the other, just let the machine adjust as see fit within the range

8- Try and see, I cannot make full face works for me, I use nasal mask and chinstrap

9- http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...GUARANTEED

Post Reply Post Reply
1. Is there a way to tell how long your Apneas are? How long I've stopped breathing for? Yes, depending on your machine, Sleepyhead will tell you how long your apneas are as well as what kind they are.

Your mean o2 saturation level looks good. There is room for improvement (the best they can get mine is 91%, but I have a secondary problem).

2. I've ordered a oximeter to measure my oxygen levels but is there a way to correct longer apneas? Is that just a matter of increasing the pressure on your machine? Generally, yes. Will the machine eventually make you breath even if you are on CPAP rather than Auto? No. Cpap is a steady pressure. If you are trying to shorten apneas, you either have to increase pressure or go to an auto where it will adjust pressure to reduce apneas to 10-12 seconds or less. System One is a good machine. A small percentage of people do better with the Resmed algorithm and visa versa. The machine you have works great with Sleepyhead.

3. I have a deviated septum. Has anyone found that CPAP works better after having the surgery to correct this? Was it worth it? Most people who have surgery for a deviated septum do not eliminate cpap use although their pressure may go down. My sister, who used a Cpap, had surgical repair because she was having increased problems breathing (daytime, walking around). After her surgery, she was able to eliminate the CPAP. Her doctor was careful to tell her before the surgery that this was an UNLIKELY result in his experience. She was just lucky, I guess.

4. No idea.

5. No clue. I had endoscopy because I am at high risk of cancer, so don't know much about other uses.

6. Coffee and Alcohol. Are people sleeping better if they give them up? Are they feeling better if they are drinking more? Wink I generally only drink coffee in the morning (1 large cup). I drink more if I have to drive and I'm tired. It hasn't caused me any problems unless I drink a LOT of coffee. I drink far less coffee than I did in my 40s due to acid reflux. Rolleyes I drink a glass of wine a couple of times a week. If I drink it too close to bedtime, I can't get to sleep.

7. What are people's experience with CPAP vs. AutoCPAP? Better results on one versus the other? When I first started, my Airsense failed the first night. I got a System One as a loaner. The algorithm did not work for me, so I switched to cpap at 11 (prescribed amount). Did much better. The Resmed algorithm works MUCH better for me, but I had some prior experience from a used machine that I bought in desperation (the wait time to get a machine through Medicare is like 4 months from diagnosis).

8. I'm not a mouth breather so defer to others' experience.

9. How tight should your mask be? I use nasal pillows. However, based on many comments, masks should not be tight. Compressing the silicon actually defeats the purpose of the seal. There are numerous tips - especially look for those specific for your mask.
Post Reply Post Reply

[/quote]
=

My opinion is that without good information you are shooting in the dark so far as treating your apnea well is concerned. And it is also my opinion that SleepyHead is the best program for doing this. It was written by apnea patients for apnea patients.
[/quote]

Thank you. I do feel like I'm shooting in the dark. I'm not very tech savvy but will see if I can figure out Sleepyhead.

Here are more of my study results. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me but I guess my AHI level is normally 28.4 and goes rather high to 65.2 during REM sleep.

There were 87 respiratory events consisting of 18 apneas
[18 obstructive (100.0%), 0 mixed (0.0%), and 0 central (0.0%)] and 69
hypopneas. The patient spent 61.9% of baseline sleep time in the supine
position. The apnea-hypopnea index (AHI) was 28.4 and the central-apnea index
(CAI) was 0.0. The supine AHI was 31
.2. The off-supine AHI was 24.0. The REM
AHI was 65.2. The non-REM AHI was 14.1 and the arousal index was 24.9
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-20-2015, 07:41 PM)zonk Wrote: Welcome to Apnea Board, westport

1- Yes, but you'll need to download the software .sleepfiles
With full face mask, you can breathe through your mouth as well as your nose

2- The machine doesn't breathe for you, just try keep the airways open while you're sleeping providing the settings is optimal for the job
Since your profile shows "CPAP Pressure: 8-10", assume you're using PRS1 Auto, if correct, the machine report detailed data on the SD card

3- I had the deviated septum surgery two years ago, breathing slightly better afterwards, not cure for OSA

4 & 5 - No idea, see your GP
I wouldn't recommend those surgeries, CPAP is the golden standard treatment for OSA

6- Don't give them up, but don't drink any at least 6 hours before bedtime

7- I get better results with APAP, not every night is the same as the other, just let the machine adjust as see fit within the range

8- Try and see, I cannot make full face works for me, I use nasal mask and chinstrap

9- GUARANTEED

Thank you for your response. I've downloaded sleephead...I'm not much a tech savvy guy...so I hope I can figure it out.

I'll also give APAP a try. My recommended level is 8....so I'll should try it out on auto between 8 and 10 or 8 or 12, if that sounds right. I've been curious about nasal mask and may give one of those a try.

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-20-2015, 08:16 PM)Mosquitobait Wrote: 1. Is there a way to tell how long your Apneas are? How long I've stopped breathing for? Yes, depending on your machine, Sleepyhead will tell you how long your apneas are as well as what kind they are.

Your mean o2 saturation level looks good. There is room for improvement (the best they can get mine is 91%, but I have a secondary problem).

2. I've ordered a oximeter to measure my oxygen levels but is there a way to correct longer apneas? Is that just a matter of increasing the pressure on your machine? Generally, yes. Will the machine eventually make you breath even if you are on CPAP rather than Auto? No. Cpap is a steady pressure. If you are trying to shorten apneas, you either have to increase pressure or go to an auto where it will adjust pressure to reduce apneas to 10-12 seconds or less. System One is a good machine. A small percentage of people do better with the Resmed algorithm and visa versa. The machine you have works great with Sleepyhead.

3. I have a deviated septum. Has anyone found that CPAP works better after having the surgery to correct this? Was it worth it? Most people who have surgery for a deviated septum do not eliminate cpap use although their pressure may go down. My sister, who used a Cpap, had surgical repair because she was having increased problems breathing (daytime, walking around). After her surgery, she was able to eliminate the CPAP. Her doctor was careful to tell her before the surgery that this was an UNLIKELY result in his experience. She was just lucky, I guess.

4. No idea.

5. No clue. I had endoscopy because I am at high risk of cancer, so don't know much about other uses.

6. Coffee and Alcohol. Are people sleeping better if they give them up? Are they feeling better if they are drinking more? Wink I generally only drink coffee in the morning (1 large cup). I drink more if I have to drive and I'm tired. It hasn't caused me any problems unless I drink a LOT of coffee. I drink far less coffee than I did in my 40s due to acid reflux. Rolleyes I drink a glass of wine a couple of times a week. If I drink it too close to bedtime, I can't get to sleep.

7. What are people's experience with CPAP vs. AutoCPAP? Better results on one versus the other? When I first started, my Airsense failed the first night. I got a System One as a loaner. The algorithm did not work for me, so I switched to cpap at 11 (prescribed amount). Did much better. The Resmed algorithm works MUCH better for me, but I had some prior experience from a used machine that I bought in desperation (the wait time to get a machine through Medicare is like 4 months from diagnosis).

8. I'm not a mouth breather so defer to others' experience.

9. How tight should your mask be? I use nasal pillows. However, based on many comments, masks should not be tight. Compressing the silicon actually defeats the purpose of the seal. There are numerous tips - especially look for those specific for your mask.

Thank you. Now I think I should try out Resmed algoirthm and see if that works better for me. It looks like an advanced machine. Maybe I could find one as a loaner. I'm prescribed for 8 so maybe I'll raise my System One to 10 or so and see if I sleep better that way. I'm never sure of these prescribed levels and how right they are or if they're just a gauge. If I move the System One to Auto I guess levels between 8 and 12 should work.
Thanks again for your feedback. Very helpful.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi westport,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more responses to your post and much success to you as you continue your CPAP therapy
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Quote: Thank you. Now I think I should try out Resmed algoirthm and see if that works better for me. It looks like an advanced machine. Maybe I could find one as a loaner. I'm prescribed for 8 so maybe I'll raise my System One to 10 or so and see if I sleep better that way. I'm never sure of these prescribed levels and how right they are or if they're just a gauge. If I move the System One to Auto I guess levels between 8 and 12 should work.
Thanks again for your feedback. Very helpful.

Look at your current data before you start messing with it much. All my adjustments came after looking at the sleep study/titration AND looking at Sleepyhead data. You generally only want to move things a small amount and let it stay there a week AT LEAST. On the other hand, if every night, you spend most of your time above 9, then it makes sense to move your bottom pressure to 9. Keep in mind though, that the 9 may just be a temporary thing.
Post Reply Post Reply
Deviated septum repair has no impact on cpap. I had my deviatrd septum fixed 7 years ago. Well worth it as now can eat without huffing snd puffing and can breathe throuhh my nose now.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Juniper's questions juniper 5 78 4 hours ago
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  [Treatment] Having several Unclassified Apneas.... meatheadmd 5 242 03-09-2024, 01:50 PM
Last Post: meatheadmd
  Fixing (CPAP-induced?) central apneas Franko39 15 631 03-08-2024, 02:42 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  New - so many questions Matsu1 4 230 02-25-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Cpap causing Central Apneas shedu1337 1 253 02-24-2024, 05:46 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Central apneas and tips to improve CPAP therapy jcp519 20 1,225 02-21-2024, 12:37 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  [split] Central and Complex apneas with CPAP JohnCondor 3 268 02-16-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.