Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Hello and Getting Started
Hello and Getting Started

I am new to researching Sleep Apnea and CPAP machines in the last month and found this wonderful site and board and have spent the last 2 days reading as much as I could here to learn more. I'm 54 and probably have had sleep apnea for over 30-40 years based on my history.
I just bought a machine its on its way.. I do not have insurance and funds are limited so I used a site I'm sure many are familiar with. But I bought this before I knew anything based on price: the ResMed
New, Factory Sealed S8 AutoSet II with EPR CPAP System. Now I realize that is kinda old and outdated... but I guess for now it will have to do. It says it will do AHI and compliance data recording.
Does anyone know the right software to use with this one. (I tried reading all that section but I guess till I get the unit I wont know for sure).
But well its been a long road. For years I kept getting new crowns and then eventually implants because I ground my teeth so bad. I fell asleep at work so much I sold my financial planning and estate planning and law practice after 22 years in 2006. Yet for some reason (I must be stupid) no one ever suggested or I never thought that I had sleep apnea.
In the 70s and 80s I drank and partied enough that I would usually get a good 6 to 7 hours of sleep but I haven't drank in over 20 years now.
I finally got diagnosed in June. (I've chosen not to buy health insurance that cost over $500 a month and just self pay- i understand the risks).
So I hope this new machine works and I will try and be patient with the process.
I've been singing that Beatles song from the White album for a as long as I can remember... "I'm so tired i don't know what to do"...
Tom
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Hello and Getting Started
Is there any requirement that you have compliance data? (Like commercial drivers must show complaince.)
The S8 can write to a proprietary card whose contacts look a bit like those on pin and chip credit cards.
The card is not kept in the machine; just inserted long into a slot long enough to read data from the machine.
It's then read by a proprietary card reader. Both the data card and reader are now hard to obtain.
The reader is called ResMed ACR38 CPAP Machine Card Reader USB. They can be acquired for $60 to $80.
You would be hard pressed to find a data card. The only software (because you need their driver) is ResScan.

The machine will work for obstructive apnea. You just will not be able to view your therapy and fine tune it.
IIRC, the machine can display your AHI in the morning with a button push. I have forgotten how to get it to display that.

Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
The Resmed S8 has been greatly improved on by the S9 series, and the current Airsense 10 autoset series, however, it still used many of the current therapy algorithms and will probably work fine until you can find resources to upgrade. Kind of strange there would still be new old stock out there with no hours. Lots of us got our start before SD cards and modern machines, and we managed to use these older models to get effective and comfortable therapy. I used my M-Series Remstar Auto until December 2014, which is basically the same thing.

Lots of low-hour used machines come available all the time at a low price, and I'm sure it won't be long before you find one. Meanwhile, just use the S8, and the onboard therapy statistics. It will tell you the 24-hour, 7-day and 30 day average and 90% pressures, AHI and other useful clues to learn how to optimize it. You can be assured, it will work so well, you will wonder how you could do without it. Best of luck, and keep us posted on your progress.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
[quote][quote='justMongo' pid='177667' dateline='1474929755']
Is there any requirement that you have compliance data? [/quote]
No I was more concerened about tracking AHI and teaking therapy. So based on all you said getting that card and ResScan software is just for compliance?

[quote][quote='justMongo' pid='177667' dateline='1474929755']The machine will work for obstructive apnea. You just will not be able to view your therapy and fine tune it. [/quote]

I guess that kind of sucks but maybe that will give me time to get used to this machine get used to sleeping this way and then upgrading in a few months.

[quote][quote='justMongo' pid='177667' dateline='1474929755']the machine can display your AHI in the morning with a button push. I have forgotten how to get it to display that.[/quote]
Thats good. Like I said I guess I'm still learning a lot but isn't that AHI information fairly helpful?
Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply

Hi TomfromTexas,
WELCOME! to the forum.!

Good luck to you with getting use to your machine and also with your CPAP therapy.
Hang in there for more responses to your post and let us know how things go for you on your CPAP journey.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-26-2016, 06:29 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Lots of low-hour used machines come available all the time at a low price, and I'm sure it won't be long before you find one. Meanwhile, just use the S8, and the onboard therapy statistics. It will tell you the 24-hour, 7-day and 30 day average and 90% pressures, AHI and other useful clues to learn how to optimize it. You can be assured, it will work so well, you will wonder how you could do without it. Best of luck, and keep us posted on your progress.
Maybe it's my OCD but the idea of using used machine kind of turns me off considering that our breathing goes through that but maybe I don't know enough about the machines... so when I exhale that does not go back to the machine right? I guess I would want hundred percent guaranteed that the machine was not in a smokers house.
Right?
Thanks, looking forward to reading more in the forums and see if it is all technical or people also share personal life experiences.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome Tom.. Yep, You have to start with the learning once you have identified that you have sleep apnea. Its well worth the effort..believe me. It may be a older machine that you have acquired,, but its very functional and should provide you with your necessary therapy for a long time. The latest models of machinery is not necessarily all that you need. Your health and well being will be greatly improved even with the use of an older model. The good news is you have acknowledged your health problems and making a good effort to improve on it. Come here daily and you will learn a ton on information about sleep apnea. Everyone on this board is a well meaning participant and offers their point of view in their own manner. Accept it as its given and pick out the pieces that can help you in your quest for better health.
Yesterday is history; Tomorrow is a mystery; Today is a gift; Thats why its called "The Present".  
Post Reply Post Reply
AHI is the distillation of sleep apnea therapy distilled to a single number. Useful; but in some cases not the whole story.
The S8, using their card, reader and SW will give hours of use, AHI, and the statistical pressure summary by day.
You miss the high sample rate (25 samples per second) data available in later generation machines.

Given your budget. I'm sure this will work out for you.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-26-2016, 07:45 PM)TomfromTexas Wrote:
(09-26-2016, 06:29 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Lots of low-hour used machines come available all the time at a low price, and I'm sure it won't be long before you find one. Meanwhile, just use the S8, and the onboard therapy statistics. It will tell you the 24-hour, 7-day and 30 day average and 90% pressures, AHI and other useful clues to learn how to optimize it. You can be assured, it will work so well, you will wonder how you could do without it. Best of luck, and keep us posted on your progress.
Maybe it's my OCD but the idea of using used machine kind of turns me off considering that our breathing goes through that but maybe I don't know enough about the machines... so when I exhale that does not go back to the machine right? I guess I would want hundred percent guaranteed that the machine was not in a smokers house.
Right?
Thanks, looking forward to reading more in the forums and see if it is all technical or people also share personal life experiences.

Tom, if it bothers you, there isn't much I can say that will help you. I have owned two used machines, and had the same misgivings. I don't recommend using any used tubing or mask. As far as the machine, the flow rate in any CPAP is more than 3-times the respiratory volume, so while the tubing may have some exhaled air, it would take a lot of lung volume and a very forceful effort to back the flow up to the humidifier, and very unlikely to reach the flow generator. Hospitals, DMEs, charities, used equipment resellers and other professionals re-use sanitized equipment between patients routinely, and for the same reason...to save money and and avoid discarding perfectly good equipment.

Buying used equipment requires you know what you're getting and what the used equipment is worth. I recently sold a PRS1 60 series auto with 450 hours for $200, which is what I paid for it. I just didn't need it, and still have a 60 series auto BiPAP I got used as a backup. Machines that have been in a smoking household should generally be avoided, but they can usually be restored by replacing every silicone seal and a sanitizing and deodorizing process using Ozium. I wouldn't recommend it. And finally, you can find brand new Dreamstation auto machines for $430 on Amazon. The prices fluctuate, and I'm sure most suppliers really hate this is out there, but it is, and can be the least expensive way to get new equipment. Also, Supplier #2 offers new "open box" discounted equipment. It is unused new equipment at an affordable price, so there are options to used equipment there as well.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi TomfromTexas and welcome to the forum! Glad to hear you are educating yourself through this forum. Best of luck with your CPAP therapy once your new machine arrives and keep diligent in using it. Sleep apnea is not likely ever cured, but is treated using CPAP. Continued regular use is your best treatment.
APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!!  Rolleyes  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Recently started CPAP -- very high proportion of Clear Airway Events matt2 0 119 03-17-2024, 02:48 PM
Last Post: matt2
Question [Symptoms] New CPAP User, Started Snoring Again heyou 30 1,593 03-02-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: heyou
  started to get a lot more centrals, questions airwaystent 3 235 03-02-2024, 10:19 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  [CPAP] Started to feel good, then woke up feeling HORRIBLE TiredDude 4 807 02-15-2024, 04:26 PM
Last Post: TiredDude
  [Pressure] I just started apap therapy 3 weeks ago and I feel worse.Should I change settings? AndreiChivu 1 323 02-03-2024, 08:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question Started CPAP treatment - Would like advice on my sleep study and OSCAR information Mythique 27 2,795 01-16-2024, 05:38 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Started on BiLevel for UARS, how does chart look? squashedlikeabug 5 516 01-04-2024, 01:30 PM
Last Post: squashedlikeabug

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.