Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Hello and a Question
Hello and a Question
Hi Folks.  New CPAP user.  I have a couple of initial observations to share and then a question.

- When I as was selecting a mask type I told the clinic I would likely need a full-face mask because I frequently have difficulty breathing through my nose and sadly in recent years I've pretty much been a "mouth breather" at night.  She convinced me to try a nasal mask first and to my relief it worked beautifully!  Not only did the machine prevent most events (my sleep score the first two nights was 99 and 100) but for the first time in years I woke up without horrible dry mouth and tongue.  I had no idea I would be able to breathe through my nose again!

- I hit a bump in the road when I had an evening with a number of cocktails and late dinner.  I went to be with a fair bit of congestion and I basically couldn't use my CPAP because even the machine couldn't overcome the congestion.  So looks like I'm headed back to the clinic to get a 2nd, full face mask for use when I've been bad Sad

Aside from any comments on the above, I'd love to know how to get detailed sleep info out of the machine and a referral to a resource on how to interpret it.  So far I only have the very generic data I can get from the screen of my unit and the daily report from MyAir.  I see there is a place for a memory card but the clinic didn't mention anything about it.  Thanks in advance for any insight!!  Looking forward to meeting you all!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Hello and a Question
Well, you'll need a SD card. Then you need the free OSCAR software. You post the reports from OSCAR here and people will look at them and advise you.

As to the congestion, have you tried decongestants, antihistamines, or nasal sprays? Also, you can get the NeilMed Sinus Rinse Kit at any drug store, which is used to flush out your sinuses with a saline solution.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-03-2022, 08:59 AM)Sleepster Wrote: Well, you'll need a SD card. Then you need the free Oscar software. You post the reports from OSCAR here and people will look at them and advise you.

As to the congestion, have you tried decongestants, antihistamines, or nasal sprays? Also, you can get the NeilMed Sinus Rinse Kit at any drug store, which is used to flush out your sinuses with a saline solution.

Hey, thanks for that.  I'll get both the card and OSCAR today.  I do have a prescription for nasal spray and I'd like to point out that I used to abuse Dristan - type decongestants and my doc gave me holy hell for that.  The prescription nasal spray is not as effective in the near term but it isn't addictive.
Post Reply Post Reply
I do NOT intend to preach to you but have read that alcohol use late in the day can have a negative effect on PAP treatment. Decide which you prefer.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Flow rate question and clock question The Rog 8 2,423 04-02-2018, 07:29 PM
Last Post: DeepBreathing

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.