Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

beware if you attempt to give blood with cpap mask rubbing
beware if you attempt to give blood with cpap mask rubbing
i've just been rejected from blood donation as my mask casued rubbing which broke the skin on the bridge of my nose last night - probably due to the high temperatures and me using a moisurising cream to moisturise it, and it looked like a small (size of ball bearing) spot. 
annoyed
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: beware if you attempt to give blood with cpap mask rubbing
Oh yeah, the open sores rule. I sympathize.
Post Reply Post Reply
Not to your original point, but have you considered that your mask may be too tight?  I can't image how mine might cause an open sore, despite heat, humidity or what I put on my skin (well, excepting strong acid).  They usually work better loose so that the silicone pad can inflate properly and seal.  This fact is not intuitive when you are having leaks.
Post Reply Post Reply
That's a very good point by chill and one I would agree with.
Post Reply Post Reply
Once or twice a year I'll get an irritated patch on the bridge of my nose. I suspect when I move while sleeping I sometimes get a fold or edge of the silicone skirt on my mask that rubs that area.

Rather than using cream or other lubricant, I use a paper medical tape. You can find it in any first-aid section of any pharmacy. It's made by several different manufacturers, and they generally have some made for "sensitive skin" or labeled something similar.

I'd include a link to an example, but sometimes that's frowned upon here.

Using scissors I cut a small section, maybe an inch long (about 30mm) and then another thinner section about 1/4 inch (about 5 mm) wide. I double-stick the thin section to the wide section, right in the center. That gives me a bandage with exposed adhesive on either end and a non-sticky surface in the center. I apply that bandage to the bridge of my nose - the adhesive is on the sides of my nose and the non-stick portion covers the irritated area. The mask seal still works fine and the mask can rub against the tape instead of your skin. After a night or two everything is fine again. One roll of that tape has lasted me for years. The dimensions I gave are just a guess to give an idea of what I do. You can experiment with whatever size fits for you.
Post Reply Post Reply
Good idea, and your conversion factor is off by 10... the long tape should be 30 mm and the short one 5 (or 6) mm.

Just in case, for the Europeans and Canadians who are unsure of US units Grin
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-26-2018, 04:14 PM)pholynyk Wrote: Good idea, and your conversion factor is off by 10... the long tape should be 30 mm and the short one 5 (or 6) mm.

Just in case, for the Europeans and Canadians who are unsure of US units Grin

Yeah - I meant mm, typed cm.

That's why us Americans never went to the moon...wait...
Post Reply Post Reply
Third   Seventh time's the charm...

Oops, NASA has landed people six times already, last time is December 1972...
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question [Equipment] Apnea index, blood pressure, pulse and SpO2 stier52r043 0 229 02-25-2024, 11:49 AM
Last Post: stier52r043
  AirSense 11 & AirFit F30i Mask, new CPAP user TreeSky 0 298 02-25-2024, 09:47 AM
Last Post: TreeSky
  Cleaning CPAP & AirTouch F20 Mask PoutinePrincess 2 343 02-10-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  New CPAP user - Fine Tuning Settings/Mask Help slowmo2000 0 260 01-31-2024, 11:58 PM
Last Post: slowmo2000
  New CPAP User - f30i Mask Troubles CcReesezzzzz01 6 825 01-31-2024, 10:55 PM
Last Post: CcReesezzzzz01
  [CPAP] Significant noise from mask since change of CPAP machine! SwissTruffle 7 702 01-03-2024, 10:00 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] CPAP in Silent Mode and Mask Useful life meaning aconti 5 459 12-17-2023, 01:45 PM
Last Post: aconti

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.