Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Hello folks, allow me to introduce myself
I am a truck driver by trade, and recently did an at home sleep study according to the new DOT rules. It was required due to the fact that my BMI is over what it should be, and my neck circumference is too large. Went back to my local sleep center for the results of the test yesterday, and sure enough, I have sleep apnea. I rarely wake up in the middle of the night gasping for air, but I sometimes do. Doctor told me that my breathing is shallow and my blood oxygen levels get very low. I have an appointment for Monday night at the sleep center. They're essentially gonna hook me up to a ton of wires and medicate me to sleep so they can fit me for a CPAP machine. It's a requirement for me to hold on to my CDL, and I'm also hoping that this will help improve my sleep where I feel better rested each morning. The lack of oxygen in my blood during sleep drives up my heart rate and blood pressure, not so good. Thanks for listening, and I'll share my sleep progress here. New chapter in my middle aged life. Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome. nightrider1669! You will have lots of questions and get lots of good advice here. Be sure and keep us posted on this new journey.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome

And welcome to the world of having to stay medically compliant in the world of a professional/heavy vehicle driver.

I'm now on CPAP for compliance here in Australia, and my diagnosis is only at the "mild apnea" level.

You will find this group very helpful and informative Nightrider. Cool
Post Reply Post Reply

Welcome I just started as well. I'm about a week in, and after a rough couple of nights at the start, I've taken to it like a duck to water. Its a little shocking to the system that my new reality is going to be "hooked up to a machine" every night for the rest of my life (most likely), but once I get over that, I should be home free. And the pros certainly outweigh the cons already. Good luck to you.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello nightrider1669. Welcome to the forum!

I am on DOT compliance as well. Once you meet insurance compliance, meeting DOT compliance is easy. It is just a matter of taking the sd card from your machine to your sleep doctor or equipment provider and having them to print a compliance report for you to take to the doctor who does your DOT physicals.

Now is the time to decide on the machine you want. I would insist on an auto machine over a straight cpap machine. The auto will do everything a fixed pressure cpap machine cans plus automatically adjust your pressure and it doesn't cost much more. Insist on getting the machine of your choice. Here is a link to Archangle's Wiki article on machine choices. It is a good place to learn about the different machines that are available.

Good luck on your new journey.

Mitch
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-30-2016, 07:23 AM)pupcamper Wrote: Here is a link to Archangle's Wiki article on machine choices. It is a good place to learn about the different machines that are available.
Archangle's wiki article pretty much sums up everything you need to know about getting the machine, with these two additional facts:

1) Avoid the Resmed AirSTART 10 CPAP and Resmed AirSTART 10 Auto. The Resmed AirStart machines look just like the AirSense machines, but the AirStart machines do NOT record full efficacy data. I'm convinced the naming scheme is intentionally confusing here.

2) The latest version of SleepyHead works well with the PR DreamStation BiPAP Pro and the PR DreamStation BiPAP Auto. They record full data and they are the current bilevels in the PR line up. These machines are missing on the list of bilevel machines.
Questions about SleepyHead?
See my Guide to SleepyHead
Post Reply Post Reply

Hi nightrider1669,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I wish you good luck as you start your CPAP journey, hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Board Newbie, 13+ years on CPAP - Hello folks!! GreatBlueWhale 4 1,240 09-12-2014, 02:36 AM
Last Post: NickDanger
  Full Face Mask question for Oxygen/cpap folks nmbugs 4 1,924 01-15-2014, 01:09 AM
Last Post: Peter_C
  Freebie for the folks courtney123 8 2,743 08-05-2013, 06:43 PM
Last Post: courtney123
  Hello folks, new kid here! harmonicamoon 6 1,847 08-03-2013, 06:32 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred
  Hello. I'd like to introduce myself, and ask for help from this site. KampusKop 16 4,180 04-17-2013, 09:19 AM
Last Post: Shastzi
  Can you folks help me untangle this? SuperSleeper 12 4,298 02-27-2012, 08:35 AM
Last Post: SuperSleeper