Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Hello folks, allow me to introduce myself
Hello folks, allow me to introduce myself
I am a truck driver by trade, and recently did an at home sleep study according to the new DOT rules. It was required due to the fact that my BMI is over what it should be, and my neck circumference is too large. Went back to my local sleep center for the results of the test yesterday, and sure enough, I have sleep apnea. I rarely wake up in the middle of the night gasping for air, but I sometimes do. Doctor told me that my breathing is shallow and my blood oxygen levels get very low. I have an appointment for Monday night at the sleep center. They're essentially gonna hook me up to a ton of wires and medicate me to sleep so they can fit me for a CPAP machine. It's a requirement for me to hold on to my CDL, and I'm also hoping that this will help improve my sleep where I feel better rested each morning. The lack of oxygen in my blood during sleep drives up my heart rate and blood pressure, not so good. Thanks for listening, and I'll share my sleep progress here. New chapter in my middle aged life. Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Hello folks, allow me to introduce myself
Welcome. nightrider1669! You will have lots of questions and get lots of good advice here. Be sure and keep us posted on this new journey.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome

And welcome to the world of having to stay medically compliant in the world of a professional/heavy vehicle driver.

I'm now on CPAP for compliance here in Australia, and my diagnosis is only at the "mild apnea" level.

You will find this group very helpful and informative Nightrider. Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome I just started as well. I'm about a week in, and after a rough couple of nights at the start, I've taken to it like a duck to water. Its a little shocking to the system that my new reality is going to be "hooked up to a machine" every night for the rest of my life (most likely), but once I get over that, I should be home free. And the pros certainly outweigh the cons already. Good luck to you.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello nightrider1669. Welcome to the forum!

I am on DOT compliance as well. Once you meet insurance compliance, meeting DOT compliance is easy. It is just a matter of taking the sd card from your machine to your sleep doctor or equipment provider and having them to print a compliance report for you to take to the doctor who does your DOT physicals.

Now is the time to decide on the machine you want. I would insist on an auto machine over a straight cpap machine. The auto will do everything a fixed pressure cpap machine cans plus automatically adjust your pressure and it doesn't cost much more. Insist on getting the machine of your choice. Here is a link to Archangle's Wiki article on machine choices. It is a good place to learn about the different machines that are available.

Good luck on your new journey.

Mitch
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-30-2016, 07:23 AM)pupcamper Wrote: Here is a link to Archangle's Wiki article on machine choices. It is a good place to learn about the different machines that are available.
Archangle's wiki article pretty much sums up everything you need to know about getting the machine, with these two additional facts:

1) Avoid the Resmed AirSTART 10 CPAP and Resmed AirSTART 10 Auto. The Resmed AirStart machines look just like the AirSense machines, but the AirStart machines do NOT record full efficacy data. I'm convinced the naming scheme is intentionally confusing here.

2) The latest version of SleepyHead works well with the PR DreamStation BiPAP Pro and the PR DreamStation BiPAP Auto. They record full data and they are the current bilevels in the PR line up. These machines are missing on the list of bilevel machines.
Questions about SleepyHead?  
See my Guide to SleepyHead
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi nightrider1669,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I wish you good luck as you start your CPAP journey, hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome.
There.  I said it.

OMMOHY
Contrarian in Residence  
Post Reply Post Reply
The following is a wiki article targeting the new user.
New to Apnea? Helpful tips to ensure success

You will see a Mask Primer in my signature and the article above.  A mask that works for you is one of the more difficult parts of your therapy, something about each of us being unique, with different facial features and all, go figure.  Use your sleep study to TRY different masks, and different type masks.  This is one of few opportunities to do this.  Did I say to read the Mask Primer?

Key steps.

1. Get a physical copy of any Apnea related Rx  or Sleep Study, a full detailed copy, not just the summary.
2. Get a fully data capable machine, preferably an "auto" machine (which is the same insurance code as a non-auto, straight pressure CPAP machine).

(best choice) indicates a full data capable machine that has Sleepyhead software capability and an Auto Mode.  These are in general the best available machines

Always specify the exact machine you wish, This removes all ambiguities and prevents substitutions.
DAW (Dispense as Written) prevents substitutions.

Current acceptable in Production Machines (ResMed and Philips Respironics, the 2 most popular manufactures)
  • ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet (best choice) (E0601) (Fixed CPAP, Auto CPAP)

• ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet for Her (best choice) (E0601) (Fixed CPAP, Auto CPAP)

• ResMed AirSense™ 10 Elite CPAP Machine with HumidAir™ Heated Humidifier (37205) (E0601) (Fixed CPAP)

• ResMed AirCurve 10, all models

• ResMed AirCurve™ 10 VAuto BiLevel Machine with HumidAir™ Heated Humidifier (37211) (E0601, E0562) (best choice) (Fixed CPAP, BiLevel S, VAuto (Auto-BiLevel))

• ResMed AirCurve™ 10 ASV BiLevel Machine w/HumidAir™ Humidifier (E0471) (best choice) (Fixed CPAP, ASV, ASV Auto)

• Philips Respironics DreamStation Auto CPAP Machine (DSX500x11) (Not all DreamStation Models, Check SN on bottom, bricks look the same) (Fixed CPAP, Auto CPAP) (best choice)

• Philips Respironics DreamStation CPAP Pro (DSX400x11) (Not all DreamStation Models, Check SN on bottom) (Fixed CPAP)

• Philips Respironics DreamStation BiPAP Pro (DSX600x11) (Not all DreamStation Models, Check SN on bottom) (Fixed CPAP, Fixed BiPAP)

• Philips Respironics DreamStation BiPAP Auto Machine (DSX700x11) (Not all DreamStation Models, Check SN on bottom) (Fixed CPAP, Fixed BiPAP, Auto BiPAP) (best choice)
Current Machines to Avoid
  • Any ResMed AirStart (Lack of full data capability)

• ResMed AirStart™ 10 CPAP Machine with HumidAir™ Heated Humidifier (all models, 37201) (Lack of full data capability)

• ResMed AirSense™ 10 CPAP Machine with HumidAir™ (37015, 37203) (Lack of full data capability)

• Philips Respironics DreamStation CPAP (DSX200x11) (Not all DreamStation Models, Check SN on bottom) (Lack of full data capability)

3. Masks. Masks are the "Interface" between the APAP/CPAP and you.  This makes getting the right mask that fits you VERY important
I suggest to Try masks from the most unobtrusive to the biggest bulkiest of masks. This would typically be starting with Nasal Pillows, Nasal Mask, Hybrid Masks, then finally the Full Face Mask. The smaller masks that you start with leave you with less mask on your face and more visibility.
Finally, as I have said before, you have to try masks on, under pressure, and preferably lying down in sleeping position.
The basic classes of masks are Pillow masks (Fits to under the nose), Nasal Masks (Covers the nose) and Full Face Masks (Covers both the mouth and nose).  

4. Going forward.  You will find this forum will provide you with a wealth of information.  We are a forum of users, not medical professionals, who collectively have been through every issue that you are likely to run into.  Most of our advice is rendered after reviewing your detailed nightly charts (why we want you to get a fully data capable machine, insist on it!!!) (your doctor will most likely review the summary data) which can go down to a breath by breath evaluation if necessary.

Good health and sleep going forward.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Did the Sleep folks miss something? Sleepy Quixote 2 521 06-25-2023, 01:13 PM
Last Post: Sleepy Quixote
  Hello folks, here is my graph from last night and night before Phil487 5 922 06-15-2023, 02:05 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Hello folks, new here and new to using CPAP Phil487 4 460 05-31-2023, 09:32 AM
Last Post: mmaattppp
  Just wanted to say hi and introduce myself Snorriette 9 1,240 06-18-2020, 02:30 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred
Question [Treatment] S. Apnea caused by bad orthodontia, solve w/ dental appliance. What do folks think? NightOwl42 11 1,984 08-28-2019, 10:16 AM
Last Post: Stom
Gross I'd like introduce myself to you ShaunBlake 23 3,119 02-21-2018, 03:45 PM
Last Post: ShaunBlake
  Board Newbie, 13+ years on CPAP - Hello folks!! GreatBlueWhale 4 2,274 09-12-2014, 02:36 AM
Last Post: NickDanger

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.