Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Hello from a new BiPAP user
Hello from a new BiPAP user
So after years of stubbornly refusing to admit I had sleep apnea, a home sleep study followed by a titration study confirmed it in spades. These tests were ordered as a result of what was originally thought to be an A-Fib event that in fact turned out to be medication related but I couldn't deny the facts. According to the tests and my sleep doctor, I was having AHIs in the 40-50 range. No wonder I never woke up feeling like I slept, right?

So, after all that and my Dr's diagnosis, I received a new DreamStation Auto BiPAP with a ResMed Quattro Air FFM. I just got the equipment this past weekend and have only used it three nights but I can feel a difference already. 

I don't have SleepyHead downloaded yet but did install DreamMapper on my iPad so I could see an AHI value at least. From Saturday and Sunday night, both nights were in the 6.0 - 6.3 range. I don't have the breakdown but that alone was measurably more comfortable. 

I did have issues with leaks which woke me up a few times but found I did not have the headgear/mask properly adjusted and it was actually pulling the mask up ever so slightly causing leaks around my eyes. I think I've solved that but tonight will tell for sure (I hope!). 

So, until I get more detailed data, I am encouraged but have some questions because I'm a new user. Are there any recommendations for the use of the machine? I'm still plundering the numbers on the machine itself so I'm not 100% sure what I'm looking at.

Also, I don't have the actual results of my titration test so I've asked for that which means I don't have hard data to compare yet; only what my sleep doctor told me. 

Any advice, suggestions, and recommendations will be greatly appreciated!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Hello from a new BiPAP user
Welcome and congrats to you for taking the first steps to improving your sleeps and by extension your health and well being! The foremost thing I can suggest right now before you can get some serious suggestions on what to do is post some results from Sleepyhead software. See my signature below on how to get it and how to arrange the data once you have imported it. It's very important to set up your chart properly from the default setting to give us all the info we need to help you.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-02-2017, 02:46 PM)Marillion Wrote: Welcome and congrats to you for taking the first steps to improving your sleeps and by extension your health and well being!  The foremost thing I can suggest right now before you can get some serious suggestions on what to do is post some results from Sleepyhead software.  See my signature below on how to get it and how to arrange the data once you have imported it.  It's very important to set up your chart properly from the default setting to give us all the info we need to help you.

Thank you. I will definitely get some info in the next day or so via SleepyHead.

One question - how do I 'lock' the SD card so my iMac doesn't write any extraneous files to it?
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-02-2017, 03:16 PM)Raven87 Wrote: One question - how do I 'lock' the SD card so my iMac doesn't write any extraneous files to it?

There is a little tab on the left. Sliding forward is unlocked (write enabled) and back is locked (write protected).
[Image: SD_memory-lock.jpg]

This has been only a problem on the Resmed S9 models which have been superseded with the A10. . It basically dealt with Windows versions 8.1 and higher writing drive information to the card. S9's did not like the extra files. The A10 doesn't have this problem  It still is good practice to protect it when it's not in the CPAP.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-02-2017, 03:43 PM)I Crimson Nape Wrote:
(05-02-2017, 03:16 PM)Raven87 Wrote: One question - how do I 'lock' the SD card so my iMac doesn't write any extraneous files to it?

There is a little tab on the left. Sliding forward is unlocked (write enabled) and back is locked (write protected).

This has been only a problem on the Resmed S9 models which have been superseded with the A10. . It basically dealt with Windows versions 8.1 and higher writing drive information to the card.  S9's did not like the extra files.  The A10 doesn't have this problem  It still is good practice to protect it when it's not in the CPAP.

Perfect. Thank you!
Post Reply Post Reply
have a read of the manual and find 'mask fit' this gives a higher test pressure, you lay down and adjust your mask. bonjour has a good link in his signature about mask fit.
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Raven87,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck to you with CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-02-2017, 05:14 PM)ajack Wrote: have a read of the manual and find 'mask fit' this gives a higher test pressure, you lay down and adjust your mask. bonjour has a good link in his signature about mask fit.

I saw the Mask Fit feature described in my manual but when I scroll through the icons under Mi Setup it is not there. Not sure why?
Post Reply Post Reply
Raven87, it will be interesting to watch your progress. I'm sure you will do well, and you have a great machine to use.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm not familiar with your machine, but I would assume, that If mask fit doesn't show on the screen it should show on. The provider may have it turned off in 'clinical settings' The 'cpap setup manuals' link at the top of the page may have the clinical manual for you.
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New BiPAP user with UARS(?) tk2234 22 440 Yesterday, 07:50 PM
Last Post: tk2234
  Which biPAP? HalfAsleep 9 201 03-14-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  QQ: Looong time BiPAP user, new to ResMed/This forum haemaker 1 172 02-26-2024, 10:10 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  CPAP to BiPAP... Korndog 22 1,149 02-19-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: Korndog
  candidate for bipap??? eok361 6 439 02-17-2024, 09:00 PM
Last Post: eok361
  [CPAP] Help with bipap settings airwaystent 25 1,553 01-29-2024, 08:38 AM
Last Post: airwaystent
  bipap Innisfree 2 415 12-12-2023, 07:00 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.