Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Hello from a new BiPAP user
RE: Hello from a new BiPAP user
(05-02-2017, 11:38 PM)ajack Wrote: I'm not familiar with your machine, but I would assume, that If mask fit doesn't show on the screen it should show on. The provider may have it turned off in 'clinical settings'  The 'cpap setup manuals' link at the top of the page may have the clinical manual for you.

Thanks ajack! I bet you are correct so when I get home tonight, I will do that. I reviewed the 'How to' part of it after reading your post so I'm going to see what everything is set at. 

I also will be trying my first attempt at transferring data from my SD card to SleepHead tonight so I hope to have some graphs to share. 

I also adjusted the straps on my mask a little more last night and that helped a lot with both comfort and the occasional small leak near my nose. I definitely slept better based on how I feel this morning.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ok... so I got SleepyHead installed thanks to the help of Marillion's links - thank you! I think I have the chart organized so here is the info I have so far (if it attaches and posts ok - fingers crossed). 

This first screen shot was posted as an attachment. I will work on getting things set up with Imgur asap.

Please look it over and let me know your thoughts? Thank you!

Attached Files
.tiff   SH2.tiff (Size: 418.04 KB / Downloads: 83)
Post Reply Post Reply
Hmmm. Sorry I can't seem to be able to open it. Once you get Imgur going I'll take a look. In the meantime maybe someone else can view it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Marrillion - I had to download it first, then I could open it.
It is a tif file and can open with Microsoft Paint.

I'm not sure how bipap pressures are adjusted, so I'll leave that to the experienced folks. I am wondering, though, if the lower limits need to be increased slightly.

Note: I'm an epidemiologist, not a medical provider. 
Post Reply Post Reply
With BiPAP settings of 22/10 over 2-6 PS, You are experriencing a 4+ AHI with obstructive apnea, hypopnea, flow limitations and RERA. The OAI is 2.39, and normally we would advise higher EPAP minimum pressure. It appears to me your obstructive apnea is mainly positional, and might be resolved with a soft cervical collar, ergonomic pillow or similar. The problem is likely caused by the airway closing when you tuck you chin or put yourself in a position that causes the airway to close. Most of the night you had pretty good results.

I could see increasing EPAP min to 10.5, but I think a lot of your solution lies in preventing a posture that closes the airway.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ok, so I got set up on Imgur - let's see if this works? This is from Tuesday night and is the same chart I posted as an attachment. 

Also, I tried to link the BBC code per the instructions on how to link to the image only and not the full Imgur page but when I click 'paste' to the reply, it doesn't show the code to edit per the instructions and automatically displays the image. I must be missing something?

I haven't downloaded last night's data yet but my AHI this morning was down to a 3.1 (and I have not made any settings changes yet) so it's going in the right direction. After work today, I am going to up the minimum pressure per Sleeprider's and Beej's recommendations. 

I don't know if there is any positional issues but that very well could be. For me, it seems the mask (Quattro Air) seems to become more prone to a leak by early morning just before I wake up. I've tightened the straps and it has a good seal it seems but again this morning I woke up before the alarm went off with a slight leak near my nose yet I had not changed anything all night. Does this happen often? 

I am going in to see my DME about trying different FFMs just to see what might be a better fit (if there is?) but overall, I have been satisfied for the most part with the Quattro Air. I just don't have anything to compare it with yet. I also think I need a chin strap because I have woken up with a very dry mouth a couple of nights. 

[Image: xxGZt18.jpg]
Post Reply Post Reply
When I saw this chart yesterday I thought the events at 01:30 and 04:30 looked like they could be resolved with a soft cervical collar. That might also help with the leaks. All events are obstructive, and what I said in the previous post $15 is unchanged.

Nicely done on posting the graph, but you could eliminate the pie chart in File/Preferences/Appearance. When in Imgur, you can use the pull-down menu under your user name to see Images. When you select one of those images, the menus for how to post them appear on the right. All you need to do is copy the URL as shown and paste it in your post, and the image or linked image will appear. I tend to use the huge thumbnail size.

[Image: imgur01.png]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you so much for your advice Sleeprider and also to all who have replied to my initial post. I will definitely remove the pie chart and use the method you described when I post last night's data later this evening after work.

This forum is invaluable!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello once again. Here are some results from last week. I haven't downloaded the weekend yet but the numbers were similar to these days. Last night's numbers according to DreamMapper gave me a 2.3 AHI. I'll post this weekend's sheets later tonight once I download them to SleepyHead. 

And, I apologize for the pie chart still being in there. I had forgotten about changing my settings but I will definitely get rid of it tonight for the next download. 

My machine (DreamStation Auto Bipap) is still on the settings from the DME so I have not changed anything yet. I thought maybe more data would help to determine what  you wonderful people may recommend? I am also looking at getting a chin strap and possibly a cervical collar for positional-related events.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

[Image: c3RrzHcl.jpg]
[Image: GoXIxrFl.jpg]
[Image: VwKHmkgl.jpg]
[Image: PyxJuJFl.jpg]
Post Reply Post Reply
I think the results are encouraging in that there is very little CA to worry about, so we have more flexibility in our options to address obstructive events and the RERA. Generally for obstruction we increase EPAP. In your case, I think increasing EPAP by 0.5 cm may have some positive effects, but the clustering of events still has me thinking you could benefit from a soft cervical collar or ergonomic pillow. Due to the hypopnea and RERA being high, I think increase PS min by 1 to 3.0. Overall, your settings are pretty good, but increasing EPAP by a .5 and PS min by 1 should address those specific issues, at least partially.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New BiPAP user with UARS(?) tk2234 23 848 03-24-2024, 08:11 PM
Last Post: tk2234
  Which biPAP? HalfAsleep 9 373 03-14-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  QQ: Looong time BiPAP user, new to ResMed/This forum haemaker 1 225 02-26-2024, 10:10 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  bipap Innisfree 2 454 12-12-2023, 07:00 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Multiple surgeries, consistent BiPAP user, still struggling with exhaustion erica721 5 754 11-03-2023, 09:18 AM
Last Post: erica721
  Help with bipap Al N 7 749 09-14-2023, 06:15 PM
Last Post: Al N
  Fixed pressure BIPAP vrs Auto BIPAP (UARS) tugboatxd 0 711 03-29-2023, 04:13 PM
Last Post: tugboatxd

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.