Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Hello from a new BiPAP user
RE: Hello from a new BiPAP user
The saw-tooth IPAP is just a characteristic of the Philips auto pressure algorithm to test a higher setting. This looks pretty good and it might be worth sticking with this for a while. If any changes, I think increase PS min by 0.5 to 3.5 minimum, with the idea of reducing hypopnea and RERA. As I said, nothing here shouts "change me".
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-18-2017, 09:07 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: The saw-tooth IPAP is just a characteristic of the Philips auto pressure algorithm to test a higher setting.  This looks pretty good and it might be worth sticking with this for a while.  If any changes, I think increase PS min by 0.5 to 3.5 minimum, with the idea of reducing hypopnea and RERA.  As I said, nothing here shouts "change me".

Thank you Sleeprider.
Post Reply Post Reply
Following the recommendation from Sleeprider, I upped my PS Min from 3.0 to 3.5 on Saturday, May 20th. No other changes were made. These are the shots from Sleepyhead of the nights since then.

From Friday, the last night with the PS Min at 3.0:
[Image: 66HXSQol.png]

Saturday night, PS Min upped to 3.5:
[Image: zKBdw4al.png]

Sunday night, PS Min still at 3.5:
[Image: aaJfJJtl.png]

Monday night:
[Image: lL63yR8l.png]

And last night (Tuesday night):
[Image: 9xTPtZ6l.png]

As always, all feedback is greatly appreciated. Thank you all!
Post Reply Post Reply
Here is a shot of the statistics including the prescription settings on my machine that I have made based on the great support from this forum.

Should I be concerned about the uptick in some of the  numbers after I upped the PS Min to 3.5? Should I also up the PS max any? The initial prescription setting for the PS was 2.0-6.0 and I've increased the Min 1.5 but no changes to the max - is that any concern?

How about the uptick in the average AHI? I know anything less than a 5.0 is considered good - is this ok? Some of the numbers bounce around a bit from night to night based on the nightly SH data but all in all I feel really rested. Probably my most frequent issue during the night is somehow rolling onto my back and then waking up with a very dry mouth or an occasional small leak blowing around my nose (I have a very thin nose). 

However, I cannot describe how much better I feel that I am sleeping since beginning therapy. Thank you all for your support!

[Image: mtftwIPl.png]
Post Reply Post Reply
I'd say the increased PS has effectively reduced hypopnea, although I would have expected less flow limitation as well. These are overall good results. Comparing results from the previous page, your event average is down, but it is variable from night to night. Both hypopnea and obstructive events are less than before you made the adjustments, and snores are way down. It may be that the minimum pressure increase has had more effect than minimum PS. I don't see much benefit from the most recent increase of PS from 3.0 to 3.5. It's possible that an increase in EPAP min to 11.5 might knock out the remaining obstruction.

How are things feeling to you?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-24-2017, 08:31 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: I'd say the increased PS has effectively reduced hypopnea, although I would have expected less flow limitation as well. These are overall good results.  Comparing results from the previous page, your event average is down, but it is variable from night to night.  Both hypopnea and obstructive events are less than before you made the adjustments, and snores are way down.  It may be that the minimum pressure increase has had more effect than minimum PS.  I don't see much benefit from the most recent increase of PS from 3.0 to 3.5.  It's possible that an increase in EPAP min to 11.5 might knock out the remaining obstruction.  

How are things feeling to you?

Thanks! Overall, I'm feeling so much better than before I started therapy and, after I've allowed a few days for my body to adjust to each change, it gets better and better. 

Should I go back to a PS Min of 3.0 or leave it as is? I can increase the EPAP min to 11.5 and see what happens but I probably should only do one change at a time. If you see no advantage to resetting the PS min to 3.5 I'll leave it alone and just increase the EPAP min first?

Thank you.
Post Reply Post Reply
I hate to throw a lot of variables in at once. I'd try the EPAP min adjustment first.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-24-2017, 09:28 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: I hate to throw a lot of variables in at once. I'd try the EPAP min adjustment first.

I agree so I will make that change to the EPAP min tonight and give it a few days to see how it goes. 

Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm watching your progress with interest. I've just started to use a BiPAP to hopefully get even better therapy. Seeing how what you change affects your therapy might help me fine tune my settings. Please keep posting as it's possible others are watching as well.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-25-2017, 03:09 AM)holden4th Wrote: I'm watching your progress with interest. I've just started to use a BiPAP to hopefully get even better therapy. Seeing how what you change affects your therapy might help me fine tune my settings. Please keep posting as it's possible others are watching as well.

I definitely will keep posting my results to share with anyone who cares to read them. This is an amazing forum with some incredibly generous people so I am gladly willing to share everything that I learn and experience as I move forward. 

I did change my EPAP min last night from 11.0 up to 11.5 so I'll post some more data in a few days after I get used to the change. 

And good luck to you as well!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New BiPAP user with UARS(?) tk2234 23 615 03-24-2024, 08:11 PM
Last Post: tk2234
  Which biPAP? HalfAsleep 9 250 03-14-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  QQ: Looong time BiPAP user, new to ResMed/This forum haemaker 1 187 02-26-2024, 10:10 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  bipap Innisfree 2 421 12-12-2023, 07:00 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Multiple surgeries, consistent BiPAP user, still struggling with exhaustion erica721 5 720 11-03-2023, 09:18 AM
Last Post: erica721
  Help with bipap Al N 7 697 09-14-2023, 06:15 PM
Last Post: Al N
  Fixed pressure BIPAP vrs Auto BIPAP (UARS) tugboatxd 0 689 03-29-2023, 04:13 PM
Last Post: tugboatxd

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.