Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Hello from a sleepy newbie
Hello from a sleepy newbie
Hmmm...  I'm used to this sort of forum having a place for new members to 'check-in.' introduce themselves; I'm not finding a place like that here.  

I've just requested a manual for my machine.  I don't know whether my email provider will handle the large file that may be coming.  I have other email addresses (gmail and icloud) that would handle it -- but I've already created my account here using my 'primary' email address.  Is there a way to request that a manual be sent to am email address that isn't my 'email address of record' here?  I didn't ask in the request email; I didn't even say thanks in that email.  The instructions were quite explicit about following them EXACTLY, and nowhere did it say, "Down at the bottom you can add a friendly note thanking the nice people for their help," or words to that effect.  

About my 'case:'

I had a sleep study in April.  The doc ordered me a ResMed Aircurve 10 ST.  I  got it in August.  It's mid-November, and I don't have reliable operation.  One issue is masks: I have not yet found the perfect one.  Well, not even a 'pretty good' one.  I either have excessive leakage, or I crank everything down so hard that when I wake up, my nose is a different shape than it was when I went to bed.  I'm buying masks, harnesses, frames, all out-of-pocket, trying to solve leakage challenges.  I also have to find a more functional chinstrap.  And I need to get the parameters on this rascal homed in.  

I watched a couple of helpful videos today, and I'm reasonably confident that I can succeed on my own.  I was going to re-watch them this evening and transcribe all the parameter names, functions, ranges, and suggested settings.  Then I found this site -- and so this evening I can put my feet up and sip some of my favorite rye whiskey rather than starting and stopping and rewinding YouTube videos.  

I remain optimistic about this project, despite repeated setbacks.  

Right now I'm only asking for help with the email address business.  The rest is just introducing myself.  I imagine that the collected knowledge and wisdom here will go a long way toward a successful outcome.  

Paul in East Troy WI
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Hello from a sleepy newbie
Hi Paul, I sent the Clinician Manual to your email address earlier today.  Let me know here if you didn't get it.

I also moved your post from the Forum Account Help area to the Main Forum, where it will get more views.
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi matejcek,

Welcome

Your not alone with finding the right mask.  Fit and comfort is essential.  
To start, look through the following link.  You may glean some hints and ideas on masks fit.
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer

Other things to get you started:  Download the free software that we like to use to analyze our therapy, and start using it.  There are links in my signature line to help.

https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR

Be sure you have a SD card in your Pap machine while sleeping.  For the AirSense 10 series, any SD card from 4 gb to 32 gb.

If and when you'd like someone here to look over your data, take a Screenshot of the daily page in OSCAR, then use the Attachment Feature to post it here.  

Also, if you have a copy of your sleep study, you can post it here, redacted of personal information.  

MASTER DIRECTORY
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi matejcek,

Welcome to the forum. You've come to the right place to learn about apnea therapy -- there are many knowledgeable people here who generously provide expert assistance to other members.

I understand you intended simply to introduce yourself, but your comment about the difficulty of finding a mask that is both effective and reasonably comfortable prompts me to tell you that quest is one of the biggest challenges a new xPap user faces.  It often takes several months, and sometimes much longer, to find a good mask (good for you, that is). It took me 4 months or so in the beginning, and I tried 5-6 masks in that time before finding one that worked for me. Since then I've tried at least another 10 masks in my search for the "perfect" mask.

You sound like a guy who will succeed at this.  In any event, your decisions to live in East Troy and drink rye whiskey shows you have excellent judgement.

Good luck!

Andy in Mequon
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Paul,

Don't wait for a good mask to spend the nights hooked up to your new AirCurve. Good Luck with the mask, for me it is the hardest thing and to get working just right.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 386 Yesterday, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 132 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 191 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 203 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] [NEWBIE] I cannot sleep with CPAP colethegamer 11 484 03-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: colethegamer
  Newbie with extreme swallowing air Burrells5 3 268 02-28-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Newbie - Can't seem to Fall Asleep with Apap on JoniBean 4 297 02-27-2024, 12:13 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.