Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Hello, new to the cpap family.
Hello, new to the cpap family.
Hello, This is my first time truly committing to CPAP therapy, I had a CPAP machine for a week a couple of years ago and gave up after that week, now i'm back and committed after being diagnosed with high blood pressure. I have included some pictures (hopefully) and if you guys are kind enough I would really appreciate some tips or info on how to go forward with the therapy. Thank You

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Hello, new to the cpap family.
You will get other people that will help more than I can but I do know your low number is to low.  Set 8 for tonight and post tomorrow.  Your Hypopnea is high and your low of 5 makes it hard to stop them.  The high number of 20 does not need to change the highest you got was about 14.  Your leaks are not terrible but we can all try to make them better.  Adjust the mask while in the position you normally sleep in.  Most adjust it sitting on the bed and as soon as the lie down the mask does not fit well.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for your feedback, I will raise my low tonight and adjust my mask, ill update this post tomorrow hopefully with good numbers.  Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-26-2020, 12:04 AM)reeling Wrote: Thank you for your feedback, I will raise my low tonight and adjust my mask, ill update this post tomorrow hopefully with good numbers.  Thanks

The numbers are not as important than the way you feel.  If you have great numbers but feel lousy is not nearly as good as having worse numbers and feeling good..
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Reeling, your minimum pressure is not just low, it needs a major revision. Your median pressure was 8.0 and 95% pressure was 12.0. Your events all represent airway obstruction or resistance. Even though the AHI is reasonable at 3.0, the RERA and flow limitation is particularly disruptive to your sleep. If you tolerate the pressure take it up to 9.0 and don't be surprised if we may need to go a bit higher. Hopefully the higher minimum will head-off many of the events and airway restriction and let you sleep better. If you find 9.0 to be too much of a jump to tolerate, you can adjust downward to a more comfortable pressure, but we really want to move up to at least your current median pressure.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
[quote pid='363805' dateline='1598451639']
(08-26-2020, 12:04 AM)reeling Wrote: Thank you for your feedback, I will raise my low tonight and adjust my mask, ill update this post tomorrow hopefully with good numbers.  Thanks

The numbers are not as important than the way you feel.  If you have great numbers but feel lousy is not nearly as good as having worse numbers and feeling good..
[/quote]

At this point i don't even remember what feeling GREAT felt like, I'm just glad i don't wake up with pounding headaches anymore.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-26-2020, 10:06 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: Reeling, your minimum pressure is not just low, it needs a major revision.  Your median pressure was 8.0 and 95% pressure was 12.0.  Your events all represent airway obstruction or resistance. Even though the AHI is reasonable at 3.0, the RERA and flow limitation is particularly disruptive to your sleep.  If you tolerate the pressure take it up to 9.0 and don't be surprised if we may need to go a bit higher.  Hopefully the higher minimum will head-off many of the events and airway restriction and let you sleep better.  If you find 9.0 to be too much of a jump to tolerate, you can adjust downward to a more comfortable pressure, but we really want to move up to at least your current median pressure.

I dialed it up to 8 from Staceyburke recommendation and it felt sustainable, actually felt much better than 5. Tonight i am going to take your suggestion of 9 and try advancing it 1 level each day till 12 if that makes sense. Here are my readings after sleeping on 8, im not too savvy on these graphs, so im not sure if my leakage is any better but i felt it was worse last night, i might of over tighten the straps or my sleeping positions don't help - from back to side sleeping and the occasional stomach down.

Post Reply Post Reply
9.0 still looks pretty good to me. The increase in pressure helped lower AHI a bit, but really lowered the flow limitation and RERA, and VS has gone to zero. We can ignore VS2, the machine only uses VS to adjust pressure. I think you're getting pretty close, and we will slow down increases once we see 9.0. 12 probably won't be needed.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Gross Family member thinks my SA is a scam?? sleepadventurer 19 1,024 12-02-2023, 08:43 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Could someone please interpret this sleep study for a family friend JamesD0079 4 585 04-06-2023, 06:35 AM
Last Post: cdplatt
  [News] Expectant Father Dies in Crash; Family Blames Sleep Disorder ApneaNews 21 7,229 03-31-2018, 01:10 PM
Last Post: Mosquitobait
Information Family support ezdrifler 15 3,351 01-23-2016, 09:47 PM
Last Post: MitchS
  Questions about giving am old machine to a family member HotKludge 13 4,706 02-12-2015, 05:14 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Family Medicial Leave Baxter Jennifer 7 18,277 08-19-2012, 05:36 AM
Last Post: eaglett1111

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.