Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Help, Advice, Guidance Needed
RE: Help, Advice, Guidance Needed
OK great on keeping us update. Try staying safe n sane on your side of the pond.

take one of these and one of those to counteract the first one's bad...thanks doc. Smile
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi,

Finally after a two week nightmare my Resmed Autosense 10 Autoset has arrived...
- It was due a week ago but UPS managed to lose it...

I also had a battle with Nebulisers Direct who refused to give me a full refund despite it being against UK law not to do so... luckily I had paid via PayPal, who stepped in and got me the full refund...

Anyway, moving on...

Can someone advise me on the initial setup for the Autosense 10 and other setup work I need to do in preparation for my first sleep tonight with my new CPAP machine, remembering the issues I’ve had in the past with CPAP machines.

Many Thanks

Richard.
Post Reply Post Reply
At last! I'm glad to hear the ResMed arrived.

I will defer to the experts, of course, but in case they are not available between now and your bedtime, here is what I would suggest.

* Check to be sure you have the right mask type selected.
* Use the humidifier at some modest level (e.g., 2) and see later whether you want it up, down, or off.
* Set your minimum pressure to 7 and your maximum to 20. Don't worry; the pressure will go no higher than your data warrant.
* Set your EPR at 3. This is important; it is what will probably give you the best help with the hypopneas that predominated in your sleep study.
* Ideally, turn the ramp off, but if you think you'd like to use it, set it with, say, 30 minutes.
* Be sure you have a filter in the machine and check whether there's an SD card in the card slot.

Don't worry if you use the machine for only part of the night tonight. Tomorrow, during the day, set yourself up with it somewhere where you can read or watch TV or do something else distracting while you get used to it. Continue daytime adaptation while you are still needing to adjust to all-night use.

Let us know how it goes!
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't see anything to add except make sure the SD card is unlocked. Be certain to post data tomorrow. Best to you.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Dormeo,

I will apply the settings you’ve stated.

There is an SD card in the machine and I have Oscar installed on my PC from last year, so will be able to upload the data collected overnight.

I should be able to get some sleep tonight as last night was a disaster.... one of my cats was attacked by a fox and dealing with that resulted in no sleep and no rest.... so even for my normal shattered self, I’m absolutely cream crackered....
Post Reply Post Reply
I set the machine up as advised by Dormeo above and I’ve laid down for an hour with it using my Dreamwear nasal mask...

- I’m absolutely shattered from no sleep and no rest from last nights events....

What happened:

I was comfortable, the machine was quiet, a fair amount of air was being forced through, think it was around the 10 mark...

Unfortunately I didn’t fall asleep.
Every few minutes I would getting a build up of air in my mouth (bloating) and I needed open my mouth to release the build up of extra air... if I didn’t do thus or didn’t notice the build up my mouth would let go of the build up of air... also sometimes I felt the build up of air pressure in my ears...
- not sure if I need to switch to my full face mask to stop this happening...

Humidifier: I initially had it set to auto and was fine with this setting, when I then change the setting to 2, I got a lot of dryness in my throat and nose...

After an hour and a half I stopped, had enough rest, having a bath, dinner, etc, before going back to bed for the night...

Thoughts?
Post Reply Post Reply
You will get used to preventing the air entering your mouth after a few days no real need to worry about a full face mask for now good luck tonight let’s us know how you get on in the morning
Post Reply Post Reply
It’s not too early to start getting your tongue used to helping you with air in your mouth. Put the tip of your tongue behind your front teeth, press the rest of your tongue against the roof of your mouth as best you can, and then do a little suck or swallow to create a bit of a seal.

You can practice this during the day. To see if you’re doing it right, try opening your mouth with your tongue in position. You should find that you’re breathing just through your nose, even though your mouth is open.

Good luck tonight!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi 

So great news is I got some sleep with my machine Smile

2-4 No sleep with CPAP.
4-6 Slept without CPAP.
6-7:30 Breakfast and sorting out my boys (Cats)
7:30 - 10:30ish Slept with CPAP.

I've installed OSCAR and inported the CPAP data, however, I think I need to do something with the OSCAR settings as the display is all over the place....   

The Overview Screen kooks like this:     

The Stats Screen Looks like this:     

How do I produce something like this?      
Post Reply Post Reply
You did it! That is such good news. About Oscar: your Overview and Statistics pages look fine. The Overview looks weird because you have only one night of data.

The one you want is titled Daily. To format it before you post it, close the vertical panel on the right, turn off the calendar on the left (little triangle next to today's date), and turn off the pie chart (File - Preferences - Appearance). Stack your graphs like so:

Events
Flow rate
Pressure
Leaks
Flow limitations
Snores.

You don't need to post the other graphs. If they listed ones don't fit into one screen shot, you can squish them a little by grabbing the horizontal gray line that separates them.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 16 296 6 hours ago
Last Post: Expat31
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 172 Yesterday, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New Here, Been using OSCAR, Need Advice Regarding Adjustments FrankReality 26 868 03-26-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: FrankReality
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 43 1,802 03-25-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: Uzupan
  Canadian here without insurance. Purchase advice needed. TrailerSweetheart 31 5,525 03-21-2024, 06:54 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 2 148 03-20-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: slowmoto
  [Pressure] Looking for advice about ASV settings rosebladepat 7 144 03-15-2024, 07:12 PM
Last Post: rosebladepat

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.