Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Help, Advice, Guidance Needed
RE: Help, Advice, Guidance Needed
hi,

so after fiddling with Oscar for a while, I've got the charts setup as Dormeo advised:

I guess at the moment there isn't much to go on?

I notice my AHI is low which is good I guess, there was no snoring which is good, apart from that I don't know what else it is saying...

Obviously,the first two attempts there was no sleep... I've notice the time recorded was an hour out, so I checked the CPAP machine, it was an hour out, so I manually changed the time, was this the right thing to do, kinda strange that in this day and age the CPAP machine hasn't got the time right...
Post Reply Post Reply
Terrific! One more Oscar tweak: go down to the bottom left of the graph area and check to make sure all the options are showing green and black. I think your hypopnea information may not be showing.

Hypopneas aside, what jumps out at me is that your AHI was zero during the third session, the one where you were asleep. This is excellent.

You also did well while asleep with leaks. This makes me think that as time goes by, you will do even better in this department.

I would suggest that you turn on EPR to 3. You have it set for ramp only, and of course you aren't using ramp. I bet you'll find the EPR comfortable, and it might help you some with the flow limitations.

But the main takeaway here is that you are responding beautifully to CPAP. Keep working on acclimating yourself to the weird new experience. And it'd be great if you'd post another chart as soon as you get some more sleep time in.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi,

Yep, You spotted the hypopnea wasn't black/green, it is now:     

I've changed the EPR Type to Full Time, whic has allowed me to set the EPR Level to 3, I remember now that I was struggling to set that last night...

What about humidity, you originally suggested setting it at 2, when I used that setting I had really terrible dryness... I've got it set at 6 at the moment... Notr sure if that is good or bad, or if I should set it higher or use the auto setting ??

BTW, thanks for all this help, much appreciated!!
Post Reply Post Reply
Humidity settings are comfort based. You have Auto or Manual to choose first, meaning the machine will adjust humidity based on what it senses or you can set manual settings that do not dynamically change. Next, if you are running Manual settings, you choose how much humidity is comfortable for you. Finally, if you have the ClimateLine heated hose, you adjust that for comfort and reduction in rainout. Mostly this is trial and error, again based on you comfort and preferences. One more aspect, since this is comfort, you can access it on the patient side of the setting menu (not within the clinical setup) and the doc doesn't care what that is. I'd assume this true even for your UK location.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Sarcastic,

I’ve got the heated hose I’ll play with the humidity settings, 6 seemed to work ok when I slept in the 3rd session.

This CPAP device is already working out a lot better for me, after just one sleep, compared with the system one I trialled last year... 

— That was a complete disaster for me especially noise disturbance and humidity, the doc had me on large amounts of sleep tablets that just screwed me up mentally... I didn’t get much sleep...

FYI - I’m doing this on my own without assistance from a sleep Doc... I’ve lost faith in them, I’ve been seeing them on and off since 2004, cost me a fortune in terms of money and my health... So no Doc to keep happy... just me Smile

I’m glad I’ve gone on my own, if it was up to the sleep Doc I would have done another 2 weeks with the system one and got no where...
Post Reply Post Reply
Sounds like you're on the right path. There will be a period of adaptation, and as always, good nights and bad ones. But I hope before long you will find you are feeling more rested and more like yourself. Keep us posted; I suspect there may be some further tweaking that you might want to try. But -- onward!
Post Reply Post Reply
Sounds like a great plan. Keep us updated on progress. If you make any adjustment and do not like the results be it how it feels or the numbers, go back to what did work and try another setting.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
So good news is I’ve slept right away this time... think I’ve slept 2 or 3 hrs... between 2-5am...

I’ve work up to find my two boys lying on me Smile

Feeling a bit stuffy, I’ve taken off my equipment to find I’m really bunged up... really bunged up...

I’ve got a stuffed up nose, throat, feel like everything is stuffed up... but this isn’t a cold, it’s a result of using the CPAP... taking it off I can slowly feel I’m clearing up...

Is this a result of having the humidity setting too high?
- I’ve also had the window closed, whereas yesterday it was open...
- I’ve had my room humidifier turned off...
- I’m wearing a breathe easy strip on my nose...

However my throat also feels really dry and I need water...

A bit confused... might be fresh air is needed... as well as the right humidity settings?

Oh and I was lying down a fair bit so had my head low which then might be setting off this sinus issue that I have been getting when I lower my head down...

Thinking too much...

Going back to CPAP, what is likely to cause what I’ve described?
Post Reply Post Reply
Sounds like you're continuing to adapt (and the boys too). Dry mouth can indicate mouth leaks; you might take a look at your daily chart in Oscar and see what happened. Feel free to post it too.

As for all the other variables: hard to say! Humidity settings work very differently for different people. Dryer -- or wetter -- may be better for you, though the stuffiness might have more to do with the other variables. Try to control the other variables and use a different humidity setting and see what happens. Sometimes jotting a few notes helps to keep track of what does/doesn't work.

Keep us posted!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi,

Unfortunately I screwed up leaving the SD card out, so no details captured...
- I'm looking at a wireless SD card to prevent me doing that again...

For the second sleep session, I opened the window a bit, without changing any settings, recreating the night before and I didn't wake with any stuffiness/blockages/dryness... So will do the same tonight, hopefully that's the simple answer...

This is what data OSCAR does show:

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 16 296 6 hours ago
Last Post: Expat31
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 172 Yesterday, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New Here, Been using OSCAR, Need Advice Regarding Adjustments FrankReality 26 868 03-26-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: FrankReality
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 43 1,801 03-25-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: Uzupan
  Canadian here without insurance. Purchase advice needed. TrailerSweetheart 31 5,525 03-21-2024, 06:54 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 2 148 03-20-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: slowmoto
  [Pressure] Looking for advice about ASV settings rosebladepat 7 144 03-15-2024, 07:12 PM
Last Post: rosebladepat

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.