Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Help: AirSense 11 "Thumps" on exhale?
Help: AirSense 11 "Thumps" on exhale?
My story - Got new Dreammaker Dec 2020 (used successfully until PR recall) and stopped using it the day after the recall in June 2021.  I vowed to switch over to ResMed and brought an "AirSense 11 Autoset USA" home yesterday (Sep 2021).  My DME set up the AS 11 based on my latest prescription for the Dreammaker and the new AS 11 performs as expected, except that at the end of my exhale, there is now a noticeable "thump" sound/vibration - didn't have this with my Dreammaker.  I went into the AS 11 clinician menu and turned EPR off (is that equivalent to PR Flex?) but I still have the "thump" at the end of exhale, so I turned the EPR back on.  My MASK:  ResMed Airfit F30

Following are the orig settings from the DME for the new AS 11 which I have not changed:
Mode:  Autoset
Pressure Range:  14.0-19.0
Autoset Response:  Standard
Ramp time:  Auto
Start pressure:  7.0
ERP:   "On"
ERP Type:  "Full time"
EPR Level:  3
Mask Setting:  Full Face
Smart Start: "On"
Smart Stop:    "On"

Any ideas on how I can get rid of the annoying "thump" at the end of my exhale?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Help: AirSense 11 "Thumps" on exhale?
There is a big difference between PR and ResMed devices. One of those is in how it handles the changes between inhale and exhale and inhale.
PR machines anticipate when you should be initiating your inhale or exhale. ResMed Machines sense when you change between inhale and exhale. The difference can be a bit dramatic. Try to simply just practice breathing, take long slow breaths and the short and rapid, take deep breaths, and then take shallow breaths just to learn your new machine.
The other big difference is ResMed's more aggressive algorithms. This usually results in PR users pressures being lower on ResMed devices once dialed in.

EPR vs Flex, as comfort features pretty similar but therapeutically very, very different. EPR acts like Pressure Support on a BiLevel and actually treats hypopnea, Flow Limits, RERAs and UARS.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for this information (sorry, late into the evening here and I mistyped "dreammaker" when I meant "dreamstation".  You are kind for not pointing out my error, but I am.

I'll be watching for when OSCAR is "AirSense 11 - compatible" - sounds like you are in "beta" now so it must be close.  Hmmm, I am using the active modem for my sleep doc's remote monitoring; but I asked for and received a SD card from the DME as well; but not yet installed. After I install the SD card, can I assume that while the modem is active, the data is ALSO being written to the SD card?  My intent is to use the SD card with OSCAR while still transmitting data via modem for the doc to see.    thx!
Post Reply Post Reply
This sounds like a mask valve problem to me, called the 'Anti-Asphyxia Valve'. Make sure it is inserted properly and working as it should. If I don't reinsert mine correctly after cleaning, I get that 'thump' effect on exhale. If it's inserted properly, check the flap isn't damaged or has come adrift.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ah-ha...hadn't considered the mask valve (two small flaps) as the culprit but that also makes sense since the thump is at the end of my "exhale"; just before I transition to an "inhale".  Thanks for the great idea and I'll check for a valve issue on my mask.

I'm new to ResMed (always been a PR user: M-Series, then System One, then Dream Station) so I am surprised to learn of the design differences between PR and ResMed that Gideon highlighted for me.   Thanks again!
Post Reply Post Reply
Since you have an SD card, you can leave it in the machine collecting data every nigh until you have the new version of OSCAR.

The card must be in the machine to collect the detailed data that gets presented in the Graphs. The SD card data collection is entirely separate from the data that gets sent by the cellular modem.
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Great news that on the AirSense 11, inserting a SD card does not override the functionality of transmitting data via modem. My DME felt I didnt need the SD card but my persistence overcame their objections and they provided the SD card.  ResMed-branded SD card going into AirSense 11 today so when OSCAR becomes "AirSense 11-compatible", I'll be ready.  I appreciate your feedback and thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
The A10 has that thumping problem due to the lid on the water chamber not being fully closed. Try removing and re-inserting the water chamber.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
With the AS10 not having the water chamber firmly seated in the machine will also result in the thump you describe.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Got it - thanks!!!!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Suggested Settings Switching AirSense 10 CPAP to AirSense 11 APAP Rickyricardo 3 179 04-20-2024, 04:55 PM
Last Post: Rickyricardo
  Unable to exhale against nasal pillow pressure? jle323 10 5,203 03-04-2024, 11:40 AM
Last Post: Guerc13
  Need Input on AirSense 10 vs AirSense 11 b4 Ordering New CPAP mdmarmd 13 2,382 01-14-2024, 04:11 PM
Last Post: scowell
  Resmed vibrates on exhale? webweaver 5 910 12-22-2023, 08:22 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  RESMED F30i Mask causing pulsing on exhale HULK 1 636 09-21-2023, 04:12 PM
Last Post: stevew77
  Normal for exhale peaks to be much greater than inhale peaks? stony82 4 579 09-20-2023, 03:36 PM
Last Post: stony82
  [Symptoms] Difficult to exhale by end of night threerottencats 0 466 08-12-2023, 11:19 AM
Last Post: threerottencats

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.