Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Help. Cannot get used to a different CPAP machine
Help. Cannot get used to a different CPAP machine
Hi all. I have been using resmed machines for the past 15 years. I had an S8 autoset which was fantastic, then upgraded to an S9 autoset which has never missed a beat. I've had it for a number of years and it has 21,000 hours on it now. I have been looking for a new machine as I'm sure the one I have at present will die soon.
I purchased a new RESMED Air mini for an overseas trip a couple of years ago and could never get used to it. The noise didn't bother me al all, I just kept waking up and could never get a decent sleep. They said you could use t as your everyday machine. Every half an hour or so for the first few hours and then maybe an hour between wakes. All the setting were the same as my S9, I spoke directly with RESMED and the sleep center I purchased the Air min from. Lots of different trial settings, different masks etc but the same result. Neither could give me a reason or answer. The sleep centre gave me a trial Airsense 10 autoset, the same result even after using the same setting as my S9, many different setting configerations and masks.
I have purchase 3 second hand S9 machines, all exactly the same model S9 autoset, all with low hours but still the same result. Same machine, mask and settings as my original but I can sleep with any of them. One only had 1500 hours on it.

I am desperate to find a solution before my old S9 dies.
Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Help. Cannot get used to a different CPAP machine
This is where we would love to see a screenshot of your nightly charts including settings, both new and old machines. One of the issues here is that the ResMed AirMini is not compatible with OSCAR and has no detailed info. If you can provide that data from an AirSense 10 AutoSet , we could help you adjust.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for getting back to me. I don't have the airsense 10 anymore, The sleep centre only gave it to me for a month or so to try and trouble shoot the issues. I can get screen shots from my S9 that works and the one that doesn't. I wont be able to get those to you until early next week. 

If I use the airmini or one of the new second hand S9's it feels like exactly the same experience and sleep issues. I'm hoping if I can get the settings right on one of the second hand S9's I can duplicate the settings on the air mini. From what I've read and spoken directly with RESMED the algorithms for the S9 and airmini are the same.

Thank you for your help.
Post Reply Post Reply
On the S9 that 'doesn't work', do a factory reset then set the parameters that do work.
As a rule, when getting a secondhand machine, ALWAYS do a factory reset because you do not know what odd settings may have been set
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you Fred.
I'll do factory reset on the second hand machine tonight and give it a try.
Thank you for your help.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Fred, apologies for taking time getting back to you. I tried to use the second hand machine first last night. I kept waking so after 3 hours went back to my original machine. I've attached screen shots of the results for both machines from last night. The 3 hours is the machine I cant get used to. If you need other data from the results please let me know.
I'll do a full night tonight on my original machine - the one that works and try and do a full night on the second hand machine tomorrow night so you have more data. If you can see anything in the results from last night please let me know.
Thank you Fred. I really appreciated your help.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Sorry Fred, I attached the incorrect screen shot from last night in the previous post. Please find below the correct one from last night. I only used it for just under two hours. All the setting from what i could tell were the same as my original machine. Because I kept waking up i gave up and went back to my original machine which i had no problems in sleeping with for the rest of the night.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the Apnea Board.

Observation musing from Dave's log stardate 121620

You seem to be using lower pressures but I'm seeing a Ramp like trace at the beginning of your charts. My take is Ramp is as training wheels and needs removed when you can balance without falling off and face planting. No Ramp equals better IMO, it allows the whole sleep session time to be therapy not ramping up eventually. Two, it appears as if you're not taking advantage of EPR/Exhale Pressure Relief. I'd consider turning it on to Full Time and at 2 or 3 cmH2O. We're trying to add therapy enhancements (yes EPR can enhance therapy, it's proven here) and increase comfort and EPR may well add both. Three, on the travel PAP, whoever said it was a good substitute for regular duty machines is wrong IMO. Travel units are at best short term usage not to replace your standard PAP. These travel units do not offer the same necessary apnea therapy and again IMO make poor substitutes for the real deal.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Dave, thank you for your reply.
I did try the EPR on my old machine when I received it and couldn't use it. That was a while ago now so will give it a try again. I'll also try removing the ramp, I'm comfortable with the minimum pressure. I'll see how I go and get back to you. Thank you for your help.
Post Reply Post Reply
OK you're welcome. Alright, due to an EPR issue in your past, work up slow-ish; use EPR 1 full time. Give it a serious try. I'm seeing a chart trend your pressures don't vary a whole lot and that is likely a good thing IMO. Too much variable pressures can be disruptive to some. I think if you cut the ramp you may not notice. Again we just ask you try. If you must, cut ramp down in steps, shorten time or actually increase pressures ramp operates on and/or both.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Feel like my CPAP machine is killing me jimbob123 1 82 Yesterday, 05:42 AM
Last Post: Rich66
  Need help new on CPAP machine Jimasripper 10 296 03-22-2024, 03:08 PM
Last Post: Jimasripper
  Ready to buy CPAP machine NewlyDiagnosed 29 619 03-21-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: NewlyDiagnosed
  UARS diagnosis? No improvements on CPAP. What Bilevel machine to get and where? empiricismandstatistics 8 197 03-21-2024, 04:29 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics
  Is a travel CPAP machine worth it? BobbieM 21 5,720 03-14-2024, 01:55 PM
Last Post: tommystix
  New to CPAP- Need advice on purchasing a machine JuanSiesta 4 364 02-14-2024, 09:31 PM
Last Post: JuanSiesta
  [CPAP] Newby not sure if CPAP is the right machine for me tcinoz 24 1,284 02-13-2024, 08:13 PM
Last Post: tcinoz

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.