Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Help! Changed CPAP Settings, Now Machine Not Working
Help! Changed CPAP Settings, Now Machine Not Working
I have Philips-Respironics DreamStation Auto CPAP that I've been using for just over two months. It's been life-changing! Anyway, I've been battling leaks and tried everything to solve this. Various mask and headgear options, and even cotton pads. The only variable left was the pressure, which I suspected to be high due to the fact that I am often awakened with the mask blowing away from my face. My Dreammapper software shows that my 90% pressure sits around 12.5 and the max was set at 15. I found an online manual and adjusted the max pressure from 15.0 to 13.0. This is the ONLY setting that I changed.

Last night was absolutely terrible. I woke several times and checked the pressure, which was only at 7.0 - 8.0 each time. My wife says I snored all night. My AHI jumped from my normal range (between 2 and 4) to 21 overnight! I'm in a complete panic because my provider is closed for the weekend and I cannot sleep at all. Any help that can be offered is greatly appreciated.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Help! Changed CPAP Settings, Now Machine Not Working
Hi CJ. First, it would be a tremendous help if you downloaded the free #Sleepyhead software. The charts show your settings and can help us to troubleshoot any issues. The first two links in my signature describe how to organize #Sleepyhead data and post the charts to the forum. Aside from that, with a 90% pressure of 12.5 I would be inclined to increase minimum pressure.

Go into settings (control knob + Ramp button), go to Therapy settings, verify mode is AUTOset. Set minimum pressure at 8.0, set maximum pressure at 13.0. Optionally turn ramp off or use AutoRamp with a starting pressure at 6.0 , then exit. Increasing the minimum pressure will make your machine more responsive to your needs, and put pressure closer to your therapy range. Starting at too low of a pressure can be a problem with the Philips machines as they tend to try to maintain pressure too low, and this may be the source of your problem.

If this does not fix the problem, you can set mode to CPAP and pressure to 12.0 or 12.5. If you can download the software, the data will reveal if your settings are not what you expect.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello cj and welcome to the forum, go ahead and work your way through the steps recommended by Sleeprider including getting set up with Sleepy Head. If you follow the links you shouldn't have any problems. Stay with it and ask questions on the forum. Good luck.

Stan
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks so much for your reply. I just installed SleepyHead and confirmed that my pressure maxed out at 7.0 for the entire night, which is definitely not right or what the CPAP settings indicate. The mode is set to AUTO, as it has been since I received the machine. 

Here's a link to the stats from last night: http://imgur.com/a/18Ftm

I'm just so sorry that I messed with this....I'm in IT, so I can't help myself!
Post Reply Post Reply
Needless to say, that is not normal operation for the machine.  I would unplug the machine, then re-power it.  Then I would go into settings and reset a few things.  We see that the settings show APAP mode at 6-15.  I would change to 8-15 and verify that it is working properly.  If not, then go to CPAP mode with pressure at 12 and verify operation. 

If this problem continues this is a warranty issue.

[Image: 0ZEAjKv.jpg]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, I have now changed the settings and power cycled the machine. I will report back tomorrow with more data. Much appreciated!!!
Post Reply Post Reply
Also disable the VS2 (vibratory snoring 2).  It is meaningless (no one is quite sure what it is measuring, but real snoring is not the answer).  Turning it off makes the events cleaner and easier to interpret.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi cj789,

WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck to you with your CPAP therapy and also with getting your machine problem straightened out.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks to everyone for the welcome and for all the helpful information. I'm happy to report that after power cycling the CPAP machine, it operated normally again last night. The max pressure was lower, much less leaking, and my AHI was back in the normal range under 3. Feeling great this morning, thanks to this community!
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-09-2017, 08:50 AM)cj789 Wrote: Thanks to everyone for the welcome and for all the helpful information. I'm happy to report that after power cycling the CPAP machine, it operated normally again last night. The max pressure was lower, much less leaking, and my AHI was back in the normal range under 3. Feeling great this morning, thanks to this community!

Congrats 
Good stuff.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Feel like my CPAP machine is killing me jimbob123 1 89 Yesterday, 05:42 AM
Last Post: Rich66
  New Machine and settings not working snapperzz 3 94 03-26-2024, 02:10 AM
Last Post: snapperzz
  Need help new on CPAP machine Jimasripper 10 307 03-22-2024, 03:08 PM
Last Post: Jimasripper
  Ready to buy CPAP machine NewlyDiagnosed 29 624 03-21-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: NewlyDiagnosed
  UARS diagnosis? No improvements on CPAP. What Bilevel machine to get and where? empiricismandstatistics 8 199 03-21-2024, 04:29 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics
  Changed to Airsense 11, few CA's Stubert 10 325 03-18-2024, 05:23 AM
Last Post: Stubert
  Is a travel CPAP machine worth it? BobbieM 21 5,734 03-14-2024, 01:55 PM
Last Post: tommystix

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.