Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Help, DME is asking why I enabled Auto when I was prescribed a set pressure
Help, DME is asking why I enabled Auto when I was prescribed a set pressure
So anyway I was prescribed 12, and have used it for a couple months now. Lately I've been wanting to see if I can get better use out of this machine since it's an autoset, seems a waste to just use it in CPAP mode.

After using it a couple nights (in 4 to 20 auto mode) the respiratory therapist from the DME called me and acted all surprised that the settings were changed. I had seen the sleep Dr as a followup and will not see him again for a year. I just played dumb. And reset it to CPAP mode that night. Do I have to keep this at CPAP or can I test with auto like I want to? And is there anything the RT can do about it? Can I tell her to shove it? lol

Thanks guys.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Help, DME is asking why I enabled Auto when I was prescribed a set pressure
I would own up to it, but that's me. I don't think there is any legal thing wrong with you changing it. If the DME had changed it without the Doctors change in prescription, then ya they could get in trouble. That's not the case

For me I just emailed my doctor and worked with him, this was not a problem for me. He eventually told me to go ahead and make any changes I wanted. Up until that point he was like "who is directing your therapy, you or me?" I could have gone it alone if I wanted, I did not want that. Because I wanted his further involvement, out of respect I talked with him about my settings via email.

The insurance company ONLY cares about compliance and if your doctor says you are being treated by the therapy. The DME is not in the loop, unless you want them to be.

I personally would try and keep on good terms with them, that's where I get my supplies. But not for any other reason.

I doubt that your doctor would contact your insurance company and tell them you were not being treated with the therapy, unless you really ticked them off.

You might consider sending an email to your doctor and letting them know what you want to do with auto and ask advice (or not) just to keep them in the loop

comes down to it's up to you. weigh the downsides and upsides and do what you want.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome

Autoset mode will work better with a narrower pressure range. With a titrated pressure of 12, I would suggest starting with a minimum of 9 or 10 and a maximum of 14 or 15.

You can make adjustments later based on your data from ResScan or Sleepyhead. Keep an eye on your data. Your words will carry more weight with your doctor or DME if you can say something intelligent like "My AHI was 3 with the original settings, but it improved to 0.5 with my settings." They won't take you seriously if you have only a vague idea of your goals when changing your own pressure.

You can set your machine to airplane mode to keep it from uploading your data. The board even has instructions for removing the modem, but that would void the warranty.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-05-2016, 12:20 AM)cotrik2001 Wrote: Can I tell her to shove it? lol

I'd wait until after Mothers Day.Smile
Just my personal opinion.  My posts are not medical advice or a statement of fact.  Please consult a qualified physician or other qualified medical personnel.  Please comply with all applicable laws, codes, regulations, and protocols.
Post Reply Post Reply
Your DME can't give you legal permission to change your settings or they could be sued. They are just suppliers, not medical professionals. So go ahead and change them to your hearts content. The folks here know so much more than them and as has been said numerous times - it's a board mantra I suppose - it's your treatment take charge of it.

Post Reply Post Reply
I would tell them that I was experimenting.
I am not a Medical professional and I don't play one on the internet.
Started CPAP Therapy April 5, 2016
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply
May I ask how the DME found out that you have changed the pressure?

Hermann
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-05-2016, 07:11 AM)HermannTheGerman Wrote: May I ask how the DME found out that you have changed the pressure?

Hermann

The A10s have a cellular modem builtin. Depending on who is paying the cell tab, the Doctor or DME can remotely monitor and optionally adjust the CPAP's settings. Normally I believe this service is terminated after the conformance phase is completed.

P.S.: Welcome to the forum cotrik2001!

Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, normally I believe the DME pays the bill and gets the data as stated. You can turn on AIRPLANE mode which will turn off the radio. That no doubt will prompt them to call and ask why you aren't using the machine, but assuming you are out of the compliance test, I would just say, I am not, but I prefer to keep my medical data private unless there is a need for you to have access to it.
I am not a Medical professional and I don't play one on the internet.
Started CPAP Therapy April 5, 2016
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply
You almost got me to trashing Resmed again over their un-disableable-unless-you-want-to-tear-the-machine-open-big-brother-spy-on-you and why I no longer think they're all that good rant, but I won't.

Just tell them it is a sexual thing. Say nothing else. Let them ponder that one.

I actually did that once with TSA airport security in Washington DC. I had a big handcuff key on my key ring that the TSA drone took an interest in. He asked what it was. I told him. He scuttled off to consult with another drone. The two of them called over a supervisor and consulted. I was getting P*ssed. Supervisor came over and asked what it was. I confirmed what it was. He then wanted to know why I needed it, what it was for, why I wanted to take it on the airplane, etc. Rather than school him on the legality of carrying keys or even cuffs onboard, I just stood straight up and in a loud tone, but short of shouting, I said "IT IS A HANDCUFF KEY. I CARRY IT BECAUSE I MAY NEED IT. IT IS A SEXUAL THING!" He dropped my keyring and I made my flight.

Suffice it to say, were it me (YMMV), I would just do it. It is your health that trumps some DME's sense of self righteousness. I would do it on auto,, maybe tightent the range up to a few cm below the set CPAP to a few above and then look at data charts to see what you actually use/need.

Maybe put my aluminium foil hat over the unit as soon as I get up every day?

OMMOHY
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question [Pressure] Returning Auto CPAP user, help interpreting my OSCAR data and pressure settings cpappadoppoulos 3 406 01-25-2024, 09:17 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Auto BiPAP fixed PS vs Auto PS - pros and cons? Stubert 5 584 01-09-2024, 02:29 AM
Last Post: Stubert
  Isn't Resmed's Expiratory Pressure Relief really Inspiratory Pressure Support?? Reznik 122 18,646 12-09-2023, 12:54 PM
Last Post: Kathy14225
  Got Bipap instead of prescribed ResMed Autoset machine. Please help me get going. marvin2023 2 552 10-10-2023, 07:26 PM
Last Post: marvin2023
  Dry mouth with Resmed 11 auto, not with S9 auto? pumpkln 3 597 09-13-2023, 12:46 PM
Last Post: eok361
  Any downside to using static pressure vs range pressure? hejohoo 6 925 09-08-2023, 11:50 AM
Last Post: Gideon
  Breas Z2 Auto Portable Auto-CPAP Machine Package kbingel 9 3,004 08-18-2023, 07:10 PM
Last Post: Txgeodigger

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.