Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

(Help) Dirty CPAP Filters!
Sad 
(Help) Dirty CPAP Filters!
I finally removed my filter, and the color and condition of my filter scared me to death. I am afraid to go to sleep without my CPAP, but equally afraid to put that filter back in. Any suggestions. Please help!!! Nervous Nervous Nervous Nervous
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: CPAP Filters
Well, there's not much you can do if you don't have a backup supply.  Put the filter back in.  I'm sure you will be fine for a few more days until you can purchase filters.  

Anyway, lesson learned. Smile   Always have a backup of all your supplies: filters, hose, mask, mask pillows, humidifier chamber, etc.

If you have insurance, they will pay for replacements every 3 to 6 months. (2 filters per month)

If you are self paying, check some of the online suppliers, also Amazon.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: (Help) Dirty CPAP Filters!
(10-01-2017, 05:56 PM)Big Ben Wrote: I finally removed my filter, and the color and condition of my filter scared me to death. I am afraid to go to sleep without my CPAP, but equally afraid to put that filter back in. Any suggestions. Please help!!! Nervous Nervous Nervous Nervous

Make a new filter with a pair of scissors and some filter material taken from a furnace filter or the like?
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks. Do you think it will work if I layer Coffee filters. Maybe cut a couple to size and stack on top of each other.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-01-2017, 07:07 PM)Big Ben Wrote: Thanks. Do you think it will work if I layer Coffee filters. Maybe cut a couple to size and stack on top of each other.

Those are for filtering water, not air. For thrills and giggles  Banana  I just tried breathing through a coffee filter. Blowing-nose It was not a successful experience. 

Furnace filter material, or maybe material from the cabin air filter for your car would be a better MacGyver.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-01-2017, 07:07 PM)Big Ben Wrote: Thanks. Do you think it will work if I layer Coffee filters. Maybe cut a couple to size and stack on top of each other.

Why would you want to layer them? If you reduce the air flow you could burn out the blower motor.

On second thought, maybe it would be best if you just use the old filter until you get a new one.

If you make a new filter out of something flimsy and it gets sucked into the machine you'll be in a world of trouble.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I wash my Resmed filter using Dawn and rinse thoroughly. To dry it, I place it between paper towels and press until no moisture shows up on the paper.  I then use my wife's rolling pin to extract the last bit of moisture.

I hope this my be an alternative,
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
Those filters look like the scrubby side of a Scrunge?
Post Reply Post Reply
Hold it firmly between your thumb and index finger of one hand. With the other, flip the filter repeatedly to knock the dust off.

You can then use it as is for a few nights until you get another. Or you could try to GENTLY wash it after you knock all the excess off. Else you'll just be pushing the mud through.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Resmed AS10 vs AS11. Are hoses/filters interchangable? plpauly 2 92 03-26-2024, 08:30 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  [Equipment] Should I turn on the AB Filter option on my AirSense 10 AutoSet for these filters? cLoo 10 840 03-22-2024, 01:34 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  [Equipment] Cleaning filters bookwyrmtoo 2 396 12-20-2023, 09:45 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  [CPAP] Airsense 11 filters mmrams13 32 9,468 09-06-2023, 05:21 PM
Last Post: turbo
  [Equipment] Filters in general and the ResMed 11 Cpapian 3 831 06-25-2023, 12:03 PM
Last Post: Melman
  DreamStation 2 Filters & DME's StratCat48 2 508 04-19-2023, 02:19 PM
Last Post: StratCat48
Question [Equipment] Who sells ResMed's AirSense 10 HypoAllergenic filters most cheaply, for Canada? StackExchange 1 530 12-03-2022, 01:12 PM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.