Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Help! Do all PRS one have a ghost inside?
Help! Do all PRS one have a ghost inside?
First night with PRS one Bipap Auto SV.

The machine howls quietly as if Casper the ghost is trapped inside. I am not used to this as my Resmed S9 Autoset has always been SILENT.
The only noise I ever heard was from a leaky mask.

Is this normal for the PRS one machines? Should I complain?

Is this a trait of the ASV machines? would the Resmed S9 VPAP Adapt be quieter?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Help! Do all PRS one have a ghost inside?
I have a new the Resmed Adapt ASV and it is silent. I don't know anythig about Respironics. I have always had Resmed and wanted to stick with that brand.

LOVEDOG
Post Reply Post Reply
I sure wish I had.
after one night with the howling ghost and no data in SleepyHead I am already looking to trading up to the Resmed.

(10-24-2013, 09:25 PM)LOVEDOG Wrote: I have a new the Resmed Adapt ASV and it is silent. I don't know anythig about Respironics. I have always had Resmed and wanted to stick with that brand.

LOVEDOG

Post Reply Post Reply
If you have a nearly empty humidifier chamber it will make a lot of noise until the chamber is heated up, and the compressor makes noise for the first half hour while it gets up to pressure, after that it eases off. I put a little sleeve over the air intake (not blocking it, just directing the noise) and it is a lot quieter. Can't speak for Resmed, but a few patients here complained about it's high pitched whine, so six of one, half a dozen of the other - for what it is worth, I have had two Philips machine, both identical, the first was utterly silent, the second makes noise. Go fig. The only difference between them is the first had no humidifier.
Post Reply Post Reply
Some people complain about the noise on PRS1, some complain about S9 noise.

Sometimes it goes away if you change to another machine of the same model, sometimes it doesn't.

I'm not sure how much it's due to real machine differences, individual hearing, or psychological differences.

I'll suggest seeing if you can get your DME to swap to ResMed. Switching brands seems to have a higher success rate than switching to a new machine of the same model.

Some people find running a fan in the same room to drown out the sound helps.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
When I called my DME Capria they told me they were busy and don't bother me.
They are not interested in my noisy machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have had Resprionics products for some 10+ years - currently PRS -1 BiPap Auto SV with humidifier (non-heated tube) and not had a noise problem, and I am super sensitive to any noise. Could be you have a bad machine. You need to be as much of a pain in the posterior to your DME as they are to you, or you will get no attention. I am lucky as I now have a supplier that actually cares, in part because they are a smaller operation and not a national chain, and also because they are reccommended by Drs. that know they pay more attention. GOOD LUCK !
Post Reply Post Reply
It seems to be generated by the humidifier when there is water in it. I took it to the DME yesterday and set it up on there conference table dry. I could not even tel it was on, if it had not inflated my mask.
It seems I read something about low water in the chamber was a problem, maybe to much water is also a problem.

Does anyone know the sweet spot.

Don't tell me its my job to find out.
Post Reply Post Reply
Alas, it am pretty sure that the water chamber is the problem, as I have observed the same thing, and I found that once it heats up it goes quieter. I cannot say if there is a sweet spot, I looked for one for a while but gave up as I was just wasting water, and since I distil my own it means real effort for me. Generally if you are around 2/3 mark (the newer tanks no longer have gradations, dammit!) it seems fine at the start, although I still tend to shoot for half full, as that is exactly the right amount or water for me for heat setting of 4.
Post Reply Post Reply
If the noise problem gets less after the humidifier water heats up, try the pre-heat cycle on your machine. Press and hold the humidifier button for about 7-8 seconds and then it will beep and the humidifier light will come on. It heats for about 30 minutes and automatically shuts off until you use your machine.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Mold Inside CPAP Machine jimc77 11 3,787 01-06-2024, 08:35 PM
Last Post: NightOwl42
  Products or solutions for cleaning the inside the machine jmordoj 2 776 07-01-2023, 04:13 AM
Last Post: HappySailor
  Nasal pillow pain inside my nose Bzimpfer 4 774 04-16-2023, 01:28 PM
Last Post: JJJ
  [Treatment] Should I adjust my machine? (Oscar data inside) capo89 3 635 01-10-2023, 11:24 AM
Last Post: upsman
Ohmy Remove bottom of humidifier? (bugs inside!) princessamethyst916 8 1,515 06-22-2022, 08:20 AM
Last Post: Dog Slobber
  S9 Clean Inside vk3hjq 0 532 02-27-2022, 05:28 AM
Last Post: vk3hjq
  Am I not using the tongue method correctly for inside the mouth leaks? CorruptAlligator 6 1,309 12-22-2021, 01:23 PM
Last Post: CorruptAlligator

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.