Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Help! First time user can't get right fit/feel dizzy right away
Help! First time user can't get right fit/feel dizzy right away
Hi all,
I just got a DreamStation BiPAP AVAPS (my first machine ever) and my prescribed pressures are 12 IPAP and 8 EPAP with backup of 12 bpm. My DME preset the device in accordance with my Rx and I trust they did it correctly, but I don't understand why the pressure goes up to 14 sometimes? Most importantly, though I can't seem to even get started because my nasal mask (which DME measured for size) keeps squirting air into my eyes or cheeks. I watched videos and demos and think the headgear is positioned correctly, but I don't know that it is for sure.  I feel like it's something stupid on my part like I put the gear back together upside down or something, but it looks the same as video and I'm at a loss. 

Also just wearing it for a few seconds make me dizzy. Is this normal?? I hate it and I need to get started. The silicone contact on my skin burns almost instantly. I will cover it with something to help and that's the least of my concerns but that discomfort is contributing to the overall discomfort and my exasperation with this whole thing.

Any advice or help please appreciated.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Help! First time user can't get right fit/feel dizzy right away
the only reason for quick dizzyness i can think of are too tight straps pressing on your artery.

Sounds like an overall bad fit with the mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
G'day KuriApollo. Welcome to Apnea Board.

Mask problems are the major issues that many users experience. There is no one standard size and shape of face, and there are hundreds of different masks on the market. Getting a mask which fits properly, doesn't leak and is comfortable is more than half the problem. There is a very detailed account of testing, selecting and wearing the right mask for you in our wiki, here: http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer

The fact that the silicon is burning your skin is a very good reason to try a different mask - perhaps one of the newer types which use memory foam would be better for you. You can also get mask liners (Remzz and Pad-a-cheek) or even make your own using a soft fabric like flannelette.

I suspect the dizziness is just a reaction to the unfamiliar sensation of having an alien strapped to your face, blowing air up your nose from a compressor! I suspect it will pass as you get used to using the machine a bit more.

However the first thing is to get yourself a comfortable mask which doesn't leak and then take it by baby steps after that.
Post Reply Post Reply
Not sure if this would apply to the nasal masks as it does with full face masks (FFM). My wife had issues with her FFM reacting with her skin. We found if she washed the cushions on the mask before she used it the first time, it got rid of most of the issues. There may be some manufacturing process residue on the mask.

I use a FFM and personally I prefer a slightly tighter mask. Guess it comes from wearing and oxygen mask and helmet for almost 20 years when I was flying for the USAF.

Homer
Homer

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Monitors are also Advisory Members, just with Extra Work assigned.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-08-2018, 05:33 PM)KuriApollo Wrote: Hi all,
I just got a DreamStation BiPAP AVAPS (my first machine ever) and my prescribed pressures are 12 IPAP and 8 EPAP with backup of 12 bpm. My DME preset the device in accordance with my Rx and I trust they did it correctly, but I don't understand why the pressure goes up to 14 sometimes? Most importantly, though I can't seem to even get started because my nasal mask (which DME measured for size) keeps squirting air into my eyes or cheeks. I watched videos and demos and think the headgear is positioned correctly, but I don't know that it is for sure.  I feel like it's something stupid on my part like I put the gear back together upside down or something, but it looks the same as video and I'm at a loss. 

Also just wearing it for a few seconds make me dizzy. Is this normal?? I hate it and I need to get started. The silicone contact on my skin burns almost instantly. I will cover it with something to help and that's the least of my concerns but that discomfort is contributing to the overall discomfort and my exasperation with this whole thing.

Any advice or help please appreciated.

You have one of the most complicated machines made, and they are usually prescribed to individuals that are unable to adequately breathe at night due to neuromuscular deficiencies, hypoventilation or other complex central breathing issues.  They are certainly not the machine of first resort for obstructive sleep apnea.  This ventilator works by providing pressure support during inhale (Average Volume Assured Pressure Support AVAPS), but the machine has several modes.

To help you with the machine, we really need to know more about your diagnosis and the machine settings.

Your AVAPS may work with the newest version of Sleepyhead software here http://OSCAR Official Download Page ----> CLICK HERE ./testing/1.1.0. Seeing the events or quality of therapy may help to guide you whether problems are coming from mask leaks or other therapy issues.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks very much, all. By now I have more thoroughly soaked the Dreamwear nasal frame and saw that the water clouded white considerably, indicating to me that some manufacturing residue remained (thanks, Homer). Hopefully this more thorough cleaning of the outer surface will help ease the hypersensitive reaction I have; I definitely was more concerned with washing the inner tubing before first use and neglected to deal with the part that would be touching my skin. I am also ripping up an old, soft shirt to wrap around the frame until I sew or buy strap covers.

DeepBreathing, thank you for the Primer on mask fitting. I will follow these steps today and try to assess whether this is the right mask for me. I want it to be, because it seems it's the most minimal out there (correct me if I'm wrong). I appreciate your humor and empathy.

As for my diagnosis, SleepRider, some sort of neuromuscular disorder is suspected; a myopathy of some kind. I should know more next month after muscle biopsy and my mtDNA sequencing. My apnea is complex with both OSA and central apneas. My breathing muscles are weak as evidenced by poor MIP and MEP values. I have struggled to breathe my whole life, had apnea as an infant, and not until my fourth decade of life did one of my many doctors think to order a sleep study. I am aware that this is a complex machine and not normally the first course of action. Alas, my case is complex. With weak max expiratory pressures I would not be able to comfortably tolerate CPAP, with this all of my neurologists concur. I am grateful to be able to start with bipap, and because of my myopathy, with AVAPS.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CPAP making me feel very tense while I'm asleep jlpool 15 762 03-16-2024, 05:34 PM
Last Post: jlpool
  Feel worse on lower EPR even though AHI seems the same? LarkinM 10 272 03-14-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Air11 now does daylight savings time! cathyf 0 92 03-13-2024, 08:24 PM
Last Post: cathyf
  TIME FOR SLEEPRIDER'S annual DST WARNING srlevine1 19 549 03-12-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: Homerec130
  First time looking at graphs interpretation help smallhandsfeeding 1 228 03-11-2024, 08:12 AM
Last Post: jdavis
  Taking mask off at the same time everynight sleepyman95 2 144 03-08-2024, 12:25 AM
Last Post: sleepyman95
  Having a terrible time--please help with OSCAR Montacute 25 756 03-06-2024, 10:27 AM
Last Post: sarahsleeps

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.