Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Help. Getting very discouraged. Need a mask that works with BiPAP setting at 18/12
Help. Getting very discouraged. Need a mask that works with BiPAP setting at 18/12
Is there a mask or nasal pillow that will work with my BiPAP machine set at 18/12? I've tried three so far. 1st a ResMed nasal pillow that leaked bad. Next a Philips Respironics Nasal pillows Nuance pro which worked OK but I would mouth breath during REM I think. For the last week I wore a Fisher & Paykel Simplus full face mask.

The Fisher & Paykel Simplus full face mask is leaking so bad that it sounded like my face was farting. (Sorry for the crude reference but that is what it truly sounds like). I’m wondering if that mask is designed for 18 pressure. I gave up trying to sleep from 1:15 to 3:00 last night. I’m pretty discouraged with little hope of a solution. At 3:00, in a desperate effort to try something, I went back to the Philips Respironics Nasal pillows Nuance pro. It worked better. I think when I'm in REM sleep my mouth drops open. Is there some kind of sling that I could use to keep my mouth closed? Or some other kind of solution? Thanks for any help. I'm so exhausted that I'm getting depressed.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Help. Getting very discouraged. Need a mask that works with BiPAP setting at 18/12
Both myself and PaytonA use the Resmed Mirage Quattro FFM; and we both run pressures in the high range.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Help. Getting very discouraged. Need a mask that works with BiPAP setting at 18/12
My brother runs 13/20. He currently uses Fisher&Paykel Forma (https://www.fphcare.com/products/forma-full-face-mask/). He has some leaks along mouth that the doctor says will be eliminated with a chin strap.

Prior to his stroke, he used the F&P Flexifit 432 (https://www.fphcare.com/products/flexifi...face-mask/).

Your face can change shape, but I know these ones work at higher pressures (also with beards).
Post Reply Post Reply
Masks are certainly a preference thing. There are many factors. I would encourage you tonstary with full mask or nasal for a while; pillows arw a little harder at first, especially with higher pressure. It sounds like you may be a mouth breather, or at least possible. I used a chin strap for a while, but have recently gave up the strap. Seems like I am not breathing through my mouth like I was; perhaps I never was a
Mouth breather, just needed more air at times. Keep trying masks until u find one that works. Bu the way, less is more on how tight. It looks like many have leak problems from being too tight.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Not Sure if Setting Changes Helping - Help Appreciated! WiscoKate 6 160 03-25-2024, 11:54 AM
Last Post: WiscoKate
  Which biPAP? HalfAsleep 9 259 03-14-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Setting time and date on Resmed Airsense 10 cmadon 42 32,204 03-08-2024, 09:13 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  AirSense 10 Max Pressure setting Tomt 13 859 03-04-2024, 07:11 PM
Last Post: Tomt
  CPAP pillow that works for forehead mount tube? marylee 7 453 02-04-2024, 12:03 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Air Sense 11 - Pressure Setting goblue2024 3 426 01-10-2024, 02:20 PM
Last Post: dataq1
  [CPAP] Need help with setting minimum pressure for my Father. Jamie Connor 2 389 01-07-2024, 12:18 AM
Last Post: Jamie Connor

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.