Help! How long (days/months) are sleep study results valid for?
ApneaNewbie Offline

New Members

Machine: none
Mask Type: Not using mask
Mask Make & Model: none
Humidifier: none
CPAP Pressure: none
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments:

Sex: Male

Help! How long (days/months) are sleep study results valid for?
Hello,

I have a tricky situation. My insurance benefits with my old employer end on 6-30-16. My new employer health benefits don't kick in until 8-1-2016.

Since I have a sleep study scheduled for tomorrow (6-25-16)... how long will those results be good for?

Will I be able to get the sleep study done now, and wait until August to get a CPAP machine with those that 35 day old study?

Thank you for your help, I'd hate to spend $400 out of pocket for the sleep study... only to find out sleep study results are normally only valid for 30 days Sad
(This post was last modified: 06-24-2016 08:39 PM by ApneaNewbie.)
06-24-2016 08:38 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
JudgeMental Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Respironics DreamStation Auto-CPAP
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Respironics Amara View
Humidifier: Respironics
CPAP Pressure: 11-14
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

RE: Help! How long (days/months) are sleep study results valid for?
The results of your sleep study will remain the same until you take another sleep study. The results do not expire, however they may change from one study to another. It is probably a little late now, but a call to your new health care program should be in order to confirm any questions that you may have. Perhaps someone else my enlighten us with a more definitive answer as to some type of timeline expiration, if there is one.

Yesterday is history; Tomorrow is a mystery; Today is a gift; Thats why its called "The Present".
06-24-2016 08:56 PM
trish6hundred Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed S9 AutoSet for Her
Mask Make & Model: Fisher & Paykel Simplus
Humidifier: H5i Heated Humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 10 - 7-20 Cm H2O
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments: I started CPAP in 2008. Totally blind since birth.

Sex: Female

Hi ApneaNewbie,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck to you with your sleep study.

trish6hundred
06-25-2016 07:51 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
bwexler Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: PRS 1 BiPAP autoSV Advanced, with Heated Tube humidifier
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Sleepweaver √Član
Humidifier: Resperonics Heated Tube humidifier
CPAP Pressure: Max pressure 25.0 cm H20, Max
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncorePro

Other Comments: CMS 50i with Software for SpO2

A sleep study simply reports your sleep experience for that one night under often awkward conditions. Those results will always be valid for that night.
Various entities may require additional sleep tests for various reasons. You may need a titration overnight study. Some insurance providers or Medicare may require perioidic tests before they will pay for new or replacement equipment. If your circumstances change you may need testing before getting an upgraded machine to treat central apnea events.
Your 35 day question is a non issue. Some folks here have gone six months from sleep test to machine. You don't need to be one of them if you do your homework here and take a proactive approach to your care.
I made sure that everyone knew I expected results yesterday, at every step of the way. I think I had each new machine within a week of each sleep study.
06-26-2016 11:02 PM
vsheline Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: S9 VPAP Adapt (USA Model# 36007, not better 36037 or 36067)
Mask Make & Model: F10 or SimPlus w/ 2Liners. MirageQuatro & Gecko gel pad
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 15 EPAP, PS 5-10
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments: Marfan Syndrome, chronic bradycardia, occasional Cheyne-Stokes Respiration

(06-24-2016 08:38 PM)ApneaNewbie Wrote:  Hello,

I have a tricky situation. My insurance benefits with my old employer end on 6-30-16. My new employer health benefits don't kick in until 8-1-2016.

Since I have a sleep study scheduled for tomorrow (6-25-16)... how long will those results be good for?

Hi ApneaNewbie,

This is a question for new employer insurance company, but I think 6 months would be a safe bet.

Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment. The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies - not on matters concerning treatment for Sleep Apnea. I think it is now too late to change the name of the group but I think Voting Member group would perhaps have been a more descriptive name for the group.
06-27-2016 01:02 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
JPDTrek Offline

Members

Machine: Phillips Dreamstation Apap
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Phillips Dreamwear
Humidifier: Integrated
CPAP Pressure: 6cm-16cm
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Hi, ApneaNewbie!

I have to echo the sentiments from the other posters... And I would also strongly suggest calling the insurance carrier for your new employer as soon as possible. Since there are often delays between the studies and follow-up appointments for results (sometimes weeks or months), I personally think you'll be okay. But it may be worth opening a case with the insurance carrier.

Since you don't have an actual insurance ID get, your employer's benefits or HR department should be able to provide you an employer and/or plan ID to call in with. Just be honest with the carrier about your situation and see what they can do. As always, record any case or confirmation numbers and get as much in writing as possible.

Good luck with this process - and with your sleep study! Don't forget to post your results.
08-01-2016 01:24 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Does long term humidifier use affect lungs? Russatrice 2 33 Today 10:56 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  6 months in: From 109AHI to under 4AHI average toinewi 6 162 12-02-2016 11:17 PM
Last Post: OldVet
  [Diagnosis] Waiting for sleep study results...got Pulse Ox in the meanwhile jds2001 10 266 12-01-2016 03:13 AM
Last Post: kwhenrykerr
  [Treatment] One Year in and still have tired days Sleepyv 17 483 12-01-2016 02:58 AM
Last Post: kwhenrykerr
  sending sleep study to another doctor's office sleepytimegal 3 217 11-30-2016 10:26 PM
Last Post: Mosquitobait
  Accuracy of Resmed AS10 vs Sleep Study Type IMSleeplessInSeattle 5 424 11-28-2016 12:11 AM
Last Post: sleepytimegal
  Sleep Study: Nasal vs. Full Mask harmon k 2 296 11-20-2016 06:38 PM
Last Post: harmon k