Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Help! How long (days/months) are sleep study results valid for?
Help! How long (days/months) are sleep study results valid for?
Hello,

I have a tricky situation. My insurance benefits with my old employer end on 6-30-16. My new employer health benefits don't kick in until 8-1-2016.

Since I have a sleep study scheduled for tomorrow (6-25-16)... how long will those results be good for?

Will I be able to get the sleep study done now, and wait until August to get a CPAP machine with those that 35 day old study?

Thank you for your help, I'd hate to spend $400 out of pocket for the sleep study... only to find out sleep study results are normally only valid for 30 days Sad
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Help! How long (days/months) are sleep study results valid for?
The results of your sleep study will remain the same until you take another sleep study. The results do not expire, however they may change from one study to another. It is probably a little late now, but a call to your new health care program should be in order to confirm any questions that you may have. Perhaps someone else my enlighten us with a more definitive answer as to some type of timeline expiration, if there is one.
Yesterday is history; Tomorrow is a mystery; Today is a gift; Thats why its called "The Present".  
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi ApneaNewbie,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck to you with your sleep study.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
A sleep study simply reports your sleep experience for that one night under often awkward conditions. Those results will always be valid for that night.
Various entities may require additional sleep tests for various reasons. You may need a titration overnight study. Some insurance providers or Medicare may require perioidic tests before they will pay for new or replacement equipment. If your circumstances change you may need testing before getting an upgraded machine to treat central apnea events.
Your 35 day question is a non issue. Some folks here have gone six months from sleep test to machine. You don't need to be one of them if you do your homework here and take a proactive approach to your care.
I made sure that everyone knew I expected results yesterday, at every step of the way. I think I had each new machine within a week of each sleep study.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-24-2016, 08:38 PM)ApneaNewbie Wrote: Hello,

I have a tricky situation. My insurance benefits with my old employer end on 6-30-16. My new employer health benefits don't kick in until 8-1-2016.

Since I have a sleep study scheduled for tomorrow (6-25-16)... how long will those results be good for?

Hi ApneaNewbie,

This is a question for new employer insurance company, but I think 6 months would be a safe bet.
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi, ApneaNewbie!

I have to echo the sentiments from the other posters... And I would also strongly suggest calling the insurance carrier for your new employer as soon as possible. Since there are often delays between the studies and follow-up appointments for results (sometimes weeks or months), I personally think you'll be okay. But it may be worth opening a case with the insurance carrier.

Since you don't have an actual insurance ID get, your employer's benefits or HR department should be able to provide you an employer and/or plan ID to call in with. Just be honest with the carrier about your situation and see what they can do. As always, record any case or confirmation numbers and get as much in writing as possible.

Good luck with this process - and with your sleep study! Don't forget to post your results.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Questions on sleep study nikkib9899 0 47 Yesterday, 01:18 PM
Last Post: nikkib9899
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 0 50 03-17-2024, 07:09 PM
Last Post: slowmoto
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 113 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  [CPAP] Please help me interpret my results baganaz 2 155 03-14-2024, 12:48 PM
Last Post: baganaz
Sad [Treatment] 10 Months In and Still Waking Up After 4 to 5 Hours Burnsy 3 236 03-14-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Burnsy
  4 months in - Do I have to live with aerophagia? RedNailz 18 1,596 03-09-2024, 02:14 PM
Last Post: RedNailz
  Going nowhere with ASV after 3 months CaliforniaDreamer 20 423 03-08-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.