Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Help. I keep yanking my mask off in my sleep
Gross 
Help. I keep yanking my mask off in my sleep
I recently underwent a sleep study. The clinic asked if they could use my case for research because I was so bad. I brought my machine home and I am only averaging about 1.7 - 2.1 hours of use a night. I have turned the ramping option off because I fall asleep so fast. My problem is i wake up and my mask in in the floor. It happens about 4-5 times or more a night. Every now and then I might get 3-4 hours of REM sleep, but it is rare. The clinic wanted to bring me back in for a PAP nap to see what I was doing. However, I recently changed job and my new insurance wont kick in for 60 more days so I cant go back until then. I need some help to understand why I keep taking the mask off during my sleep? Is this a problem anyone else has had before?

Thanks,

Sleepless in Texas.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Help. I keep yanking my mask off in my sleep
Your air pressure setting may be too low, it could be too much humidity, you may need a different mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi revraynor Welcome to the forum:
I dont have a full face mask but when I first starting using CPAP I did somehow get my mask off several times but I don't do that any more, Im sure some people that use full face mask will be around to give you some better advice good luck,I do know it takes some time to get use to CPAP.
Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi revraynor, First, WELCOME! to the forum.! I'm sorry you are getting off to such a rough start but don't give up, CPAP therapy can take LOTS of TIME and PATIENCE. Just keep checkin' back into the forum for more suggestions. Best of luck to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
It is a common thing.

Try this: sit up during the day with the mask on and the machine on. Watch tv, read, whatever. The idea is to get accustomed to it. The feel of the mask itself, the feel of the air, etc. Do this for several days, an hour or so at a time.

I once heard of a guy who clipped the hose to his pajamas or the pillow. That way when he took off the mask, it wouldn't go far and the sound of the air would wake him up.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
revray,

If your pressure is set to 21, it may be too high! You really should try using the ramp feature, setting the starting pressure to something you're comfortable with.

Do you sleep on your back or sides? It sounds like you might be moving around quite a bit; have you thought about asking someone to watch you while you sleep to learn why/how the mask is coming off?
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
Revraynor, I'm fairly new at this as well, just a month and a half. I started with a full face mask and it was off every now and then. I was told it's quite common, especially early on. As well, I'm a side and back sleeper and full face masks aren't really conducive to side sleeping, at least for me. As well, even when the mask stayed on, my first few nights were pitiful in terms of sleep or rest.

Stick with it. Hopefully you can try a few masks and see what works best for you. Everyone's different. Even though I started with a full face, as per my prescription, I've ended up with a nasal pillow mask which is great. Not that I want to wear the mask but if I have to anyway. I'm feeling well rested in the morning for the first time in many years.
Post Reply Post Reply
As others have said, it takes time to get used to the machine so be patient. I used to take my mask off at night just as you describe. I would wake up and wonder where it was -- then I would hear it blowing away down on the floor.

If your machine has a high leak alarm turning it on will wake you up as soon as you have removed the mask. Rather annoying, but I suspect it may help you learn to leave the mask on.

This may sound strange but as time went on I learned to go to sleep actually holding onto the hose. I suspect that it somehow helped me to become accustomed to having the hose and mask there. I think I was taking off the mask just because subconsciously I was aware that it wasn't supposed to be there. Increasing my awareness of it as I fell asleep seemed to help.

Post Reply Post Reply
Revraynor, how are you doing since you first posted? Please keep us updated.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi, I use a cpap and manage 13,000 cpap patients at a clinical facility. Been doing this type of work for 20 years+
Here is my advice.
The most common issues that make you remove the mask are dryness and nasal congestion. This can be subtel and can be caused by leaks or inadequate humidification.
Undertreatment can be a factor. Finally just getting used to the cpap in general.
Adjust humidifer, make sure you are not leaking. You should do this less over time if it is just an issue of getting used to the cpap.
Good luck
S
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 165 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,080 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 207 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Woke up feeling air starved, turned machine off fell back to sleep but with mask on Phil487 7 864 01-20-2024, 11:20 PM
Last Post: Phil487
Question [CPAP] Sleep Data - removing mask in sleep James87 10 620 01-04-2024, 11:38 AM
Last Post: James87
  New mask, thoughts on my sleep data? SleepyMcDonald 1 401 11-08-2023, 11:13 AM
Last Post: gainerfull
  Inconsistent Sleep Patterns and Confusing Sleep Studies - Please Review mperry99 17 1,362 10-14-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mperry99

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.