Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Help I'm drowning!
Ohmy 
Help I'm drowning!
Thinking-about

Good morning people.

I have a problem where my mask have condensation that make me cough a lot. I changed the humidifier to 2 to see if this will help. I make use of a heated tube to prevent rain back.

What do you suggest I do? I do not sleep well with this problem. 3 hours a night is I am lucky.
Dont-knowSleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Help I'm drowning!
G'day Infinity. I've moved your post here to the main forum where it will get more exposure.

The heated tube should prevent rainout if set appropriately - unfortunately I don't know enough about F&P machines to comment in any detail. A lot of members use a "hose-cosy" which is basically a long fabric sock which encloses and insulates the hose. I guess you're having similar very cold weather to what we've been experiencing here in WA? That would certainly make the rainout worse.
Post Reply Post Reply
Wink 
Thank you. The heated tube has a spiral of copper that heat up to keep the air heated to the mask. However there is condensation in the mask.
Dont-knowSleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
As a temporary measure you could perhaps use a neck scarf on your tube... winter is here in Australia and it crossed my mind the other day that I have a scarf that is close to the same length as my tube on the Philips Dreamstation.

I laid the scarf on the bed, then laid the tube it, rolling it over a couple of times wraps the tube in the scarf, three or four ties around it and hey presto.... tube cover. Big Grin

It will do until I order a proper sleeve.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi

Thanks, that is why I bought the heated tube. The tube work fine. It is the mask where the condensation take place. I never had this problem in 3 years. It is now the new Fisher and Paykel machine giving me a hard time. Is there perhaps even any one using the Icon auto?
Dont-knowSleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Infinity,
I'm guessing that you are allowing your bedroom to get very cool at night. You might consider keeping it warmer. This idea isn't a cure-all but it will help.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
With the new machine, have you placed it higher than the old one? Check the fill level on the new water tank to make sure you are not over filling it. Do you use a hose hanger? Sometimes the water will flow out of the tube and into the mask causing you problems.

I don't know about your machine, but on mine I can set humidity to auto or manual, if on manual I can set the humidity level separately from the temperature.

While you are waiting for someone that uses the same machine, check your manual and the machine settings to make sure this new machine does not have some settings that are different than your old machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you will look what the manual say.
Dont-knowSleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
The heated tube won't avoid condensation, it is more to make the air you are breathing less cold and more comfortable to tolerate.

I have my humidity set fairly high due to having a sinus problem that sees me block up during the night when asleep.

Room temperature would make some difference as well.

I have my machine on the floor by the bed, the hose hangs in a loop from my bedhead so it has an arc point above mask height.

I do still get a small amount of condensation in my nose mask (mainly on really cold nights), but nothing major, occasionally I feel a small build up of a few drops of water against the side/edge of my nose... I sleep on my sides rather than my back 99% of the time.
Post Reply Post Reply
The purpose of the heated tube is to prevent condensation, the "heat" comes from a metal plate on the bottom of the water chambers.
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.