Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Help Interpreting Flow Rate Graph
Help Interpreting Flow Rate Graph
Can someone out there please explain what this strange breathing pattern is in my flow rate graph. it happened 2 or 3 times last night for short periods. I have only seen this once before. I have been on bipap for about 14 months and rarely have any OA's or H's. I mainly have centrals, however I had no centrals in my sleep study. My centrals are normally short ( in the 10 to 20 range ). I am quite pleased with my AHI which is an average of 2.45 for the last 12 months.
I am attaching the flow rate graph.[attachment=2545]
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Help Interpreting Flow Rate Graph
It looks like you are taking a series of shallow breaths without significant exhale.
It's a bit hard to tell given the vertical axis scale. (You can rescale the axis)

I don't think it's significant. I cannot give you a reason why is occurs.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
this seems like one of those "very technical" evaluations and some here are indeed very technical and should chime in. kind of an obvious pattern though, but that does not mean it is or is not a problem, just easy to see the pattern. Sleep can be strange.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi, nadprok.

It may be (not 100% certain) what people on this forum usually refer to as "lip-leaking" or "mouth-leaking" on exhale.

Take a look at the next to last graph called "expiratory mouth breathing" here in the Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead and see if you think there's a similarity.

P.S. If you put your cursor over the Y-axis on your breathing flow rate graph in SleepyHead and right-click, an option will appear to draw a dotted red line at the zero point. It makes evaluating the flow rate graph easier.
Post Reply Post Reply
It does indeed look like the image in the BGtSH. However, the OP is wearing a FFM. So, lip leaks should get included in the flow pattern.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Ah, rats. I told myself to check what sort of mask they used while I was writing that, but I forgot.

(06-15-2016, 01:32 PM)justMongo Wrote: However, the OP is wearing a FFM. So, lip leaks should get included in the flow pattern.

Post Reply Post Reply
Nadprok, it would help if you added a zero dashed line to your graph. That can be done by right-clicking on the left Y axis and selecting Dotted Lines / Zero.

My best guess is that during this period you inhaled through a nasal device and exhaled through your mouth. No problem with that as long as your overall leaks are under control. No leak data was shown on the graph. Are you certain you were asleep at the time?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Sleeprider.
Yes I was asleep during that period and there were no leaks. I don't normally have a problem with leaks once I get done with MaskFit. I don't use a nasal mask. I use the AmaraView Minimal mask.
I have added the dotted line to my graph now so I am attaching the new graph.[attachment=2546]
Post Reply Post Reply
It just looks to me like you paused after each exhale for a little while. It does not look to me like a reason for concern as long as it does not happen for longer or with great regularity.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks PaytonA for your comment. I was somewhat concerned because it was an unusual pattern that happened twice that night for about a minute each time. I am less concerned now after your comment.

Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Awoken by air flow? ReclaimingMySleep 7 226 1 hour ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Flow rate kink at end of exhalation ahuman 0 22 2 hours ago
Last Post: ahuman
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 9 238 Yesterday, 06:16 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  Help Interpreting Charts to ID Potential Palatal Prolapse - Deep Sleep Issue reedro287 5 101 03-26-2024, 08:39 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  [CPAP] Adjusting for flow limitations jane2911 10 305 03-25-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: jane2911
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 6 1,410 03-25-2024, 05:49 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  [Equipment] HELP - BIPAP-ST Restricting Inhalation/Exhalation Air Flow / Tidal Volume PAPPER101 3 110 03-24-2024, 09:29 PM
Last Post: stevew168

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.