Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Help Interpreting OSCAR Data
Help Interpreting OSCAR Data
Today is the first time I'm using OSCAR and I'm hoping I could get some help using it and also interpreting the data. Last night I actually switched my minimum pressure from 4 to 7 and even though I had some wine at dinner, the results still seemed to have improved. In terms of using the OSCAR program:
  • At the bottom left of the screen there are a few different time periods. Am I right that that is for each session during the night (i.e., if I disconnect to go to the bathroom, it creates a new session)? I usually get up 1-2 times/night, but last night was a bit unusual because I had a lot of water before bed. 
  • When I click on any of the time periods (e..g 1h0m, 2h0m, 3h32m), the data changes. Am I right that it just switches between the data for that specific time period and data for the entire night? If so, I'm pretty sure the data that I posted here is for the full night.

Anyway, I'm not sure what I should be focusing on with this data, but if any of you out there can help me interpret the data that would be great. As an FYI, before I switched the minimum pressure, my average AHI was about 7.5 (which was a significant reduction from the 25 AHI from my sleep study). I'm particularly wondering whether there is anything I can do to improve the results even more. Thanks in advance for all your help. 

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Help Interpreting OSCAR Data
Welcome,

First thanks for including the remaining data in your second screen shot.
1 you turned off the first session that started at 2300 See the red indicator in session info lower left corner of the 2nd screen shot. When you ckick on those sessions you get data for that session which is why that data changes.

Too things to always look at are the overall AHI and the CAI. Your CAI is not bad but we want to keep an eye on it. Increasing Flex typically increases CAI. Lowering it typically lowers CAI.
See how your obstructive events are clustered? That usually indicated that you are tucking your chin and as a result causing obstructive events. Typically high pressure, even really high pressure does nothing for these. I'd want to see that these 'clusters" are regularly occurring and if so I'd suggest that you get a soft cervical collar (see my signature).

You also have IMHO Flow Limits and RERAs which are typically under-reported. PR machines do a very poor job of managing those as the treatment of choice is Pressure Support. Thus put these on a watch.

The charts themselves. We like to maximize the presentation of data in the screen shots, so turn off the right sidebar, click on the black triangle to the left of the date to remove the calendar and file/Preferences/Appearance to deselect the pie chart. See the "Organization" link in my signature. The basic charts, and all we normally need to see, we will ask if we need more, are Events, Flow Rate, Pressure, Leaks, and Snore.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for this, I really appreciate it.  Silly question - am I right that I want the CAI to be lower? If so, I'll try reducing Flex. I also have it set for only A-Flex. Do you think I should change that to C-Flex?

When I include that first session my AHI dropped to 5.87. Any thoughts on why OSCAR would show an AHI of 5.87 and DreamMapper would show 6.5?
Post Reply Post Reply
It is a balancing act, with Obstructive higher concentrate on that for now. Definately7 keep an eye on centrals, but remember your machine does NOT treat centrals. Here centrals are "treated" by avoiding them, and that depends on their cause. If they are CO2 based, a good probability, they could be treated via EERS but with CA as low as it is here I do not recommend that.

Why the difference? I don't know. It would take a detailed analysis of OSCAR, and DreamMapper. Frankly, I NEVER rely on the OTA consumer apps.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  oscar data sleeper2460 0 53 Yesterday, 09:13 AM
Last Post: sleeper2460
  New user OSCAR data after one week Everlong 2 107 03-26-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: Everlong
  Help Interpreting Charts to ID Potential Palatal Prolapse - Deep Sleep Issue reedro287 5 105 03-26-2024, 08:39 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Current OSCAR Data Tylermdugan 0 67 03-26-2024, 07:06 AM
Last Post: Tylermdugan
  Need help with OSCAR data Abhi 5 405 03-26-2024, 05:31 AM
Last Post: BigWing
  First night done, now what? (OSCAR data attached) Stephaniea0213 5 147 03-20-2024, 02:35 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 2 148 03-20-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: slowmoto

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.