Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

What are the latest and greatest CPAP Machines?
What are the latest and greatest CPAP Machines?
I have the Resmed S9 - got it 5 years ago. Starting to have a few issues with the SD card reader in it. It tells me I either have to eject the card for the machine to work, or I have to erase the card. I have to bring the card with me to the doctor's appt, so I didn't think erasing the card was a very good idea.

That being said, it got me thinking about the latest models in CPAP. If I have to replace my CPAP at some point (after all, it is 5 years old), what would be a great replacement?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: What are the latest and greatest CPAP Machines?
Resmed AirSense 10 or Resmed AirCurve VAUTO depending on your needs.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
ResMed 10 series is the next and newest with that manufacturer. IMO they are very good machines. They would be a bit quieter than yours I think.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
You currently have an Auto CPAP, so the logical new machine is the Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset. It will provide the same therapy you are accustomed to, with a more compact form factor and some other nice upgrades. This will not require any revision to your prescription, but you may need to have your doctor renew the prescription and verify your continuing medical need for CPAP therapy. I use my primary car doctor (internal medicine) for this.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-08-2018, 03:57 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: You currently have an Auto CPAP, so the logical new machine is the Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset.  It will provide the same therapy you are accustomed to, with a more compact form factor and some other nice upgrades.  This will not require any revision to your prescription, but you may need to have your doctor renew the prescription and verify your continuing medical need for CPAP therapy.  I use my primary car doctor (internal medicine) for this.

I use my sleep doctor for all my CPAP prescriptions. Something I have wondered about, however. When I first got my ResMed S9, I had to pay $25/month for about 5 months (I think it was) and then the machine was mine. So, insurance must've paid a good portion of it. Does normally pay for the new machine like the old, or do we usually have to assume it's going to be all on the patient?
Post Reply Post Reply
Your first machine was rented until you demonstrated compliance and efficacy. Rental terms vary from 3-months to 13 months. Many times the replacement machines are purchased outright.

It sounds like you're all set for treatment continuity. Although the SD card malfunction is not critical, with the number of hours on that machine, it should be no problem for your supplier to justify the replacement. If you have been using the same DME all these years, just ask them how would be best to proceed. They want to sell you the new unit and know how to work with your insurance. Let them know you want the Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset as a replacement. Keep the old S9 as an emergency backup.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-08-2018, 03:46 PM)gsykes Wrote: I have the Resmed S9 - got it 5 years ago. Starting to have a few issues with the SD card reader in it. It tells me I either have to eject the card for the machine to work, or I have to erase the card. I have to bring the card with me to the doctor's appt, so I didn't think erasing the card was a very good idea.

Not sure about these SD cards and the amount of data they hold, but have you considered just replacing the SD card with a fresh one?
5 years of data seems like it might be full?

If you're comfortable with your current machine or don't want to bother with getting a new one (although if possible, I would consider the AirSense 10) just try the inexpensive card replacement and see if the old machine is OK with it.

Just a thought.
My get-up-and-go musta got up and went.  Cool

Download OSCAR for your sleep data.  
https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR

Post Reply Post Reply
I's a common situation with the S9, If you want to, you can copy the card to a file first. I would and do, erase the card when this happens. The compliance data and such is still in the machine and will reload to the card. You loose the detailed 7 day data. It's time for a new machine if it's not too much out of pocket. The new resmed 10 apap is new, it isn't going to treat you better than the S9.
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Returning defective machines to Philips Respironics big_dave 5 623 02-04-2024, 02:15 PM
Last Post: big_dave
  Central vs. OA Events: Switching Machines or Tweaking Current CPAP Settings? fjones416 4 487 12-14-2023, 12:28 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Difference in Machines SufiMindtricks 8 566 11-26-2023, 11:59 AM
Last Post: HappySailor
  SoClean & other CPAP cleaning machines britincanada 505 81,815 11-12-2023, 12:35 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
Angry [Equipment] KILLER STORY ON PHILLIPS CPAP MACHINES srlevine1 10 1,970 11-03-2023, 08:27 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  What's the latest on the connection between PTSD and OSA/UARS? TryingToGetItRight 0 396 10-08-2023, 09:23 PM
Last Post: TryingToGetItRight
  My Mother's latest chart, I try to raise max pressure but she doesn't like it: Phaleronic 9 835 06-26-2023, 11:31 AM
Last Post: Phaleronic

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.