Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Apnea just as falling asleep, even w/ CPAP
Apnea just as falling asleep, even w/ CPAP
Hi!
I am new to the board.
I have been using a CPAP for 10 years and by-and-large it has been okay.
But lately I have been experiencing a real troubling thing.  Just as I am about to fall asleep, with my mask on, I will have an apnea, and then wake up with my heart racing.
I think it is because just as my body is about to fully relax, even with the CPAP on, that change in my throat causes me to gasp.
Maybe I should increase the pressure? Sleep in a chair, elevated?
Additional note:  I currently have a cold, and it's quite likely that this is related.
I have only had a tiny bit of sleep over the past few days and I am losing my mind.  
Any suggestions are appreciated.

tx
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Apnea just as falling asleep, even w/ CPAP
Welcome! Sleep-transition events are not uncommon, but they sure can be disruptive. Do you have the ramp feature on? If so, you might try experimenting (a) by turning it off and (b) by lengthening the ramp time. One of those changes might give you some help.

I warmly recommend that you download the Oscar software to a laptop or desktop computer and use it to generate charts from the data on the SD card in your machine. If you would then attach a screenshot of a Daily chart, people in the forum may be able to give you more tailored advice.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Apnea just as falling asleep, even w/ CPAP
(01-19-2021, 11:12 PM)JHoffman555 Wrote: Hi!
I am new to the board.
I have been using a CPAP for 10 years and by-and-large it has been okay.
But lately I have been experiencing a real troubling thing.  Just as I am about to fall asleep, with my mask on, I will have an apnea, and then wake up with my heart racing.
I think it is because just as my body is about to fully relax, even with the CPAP on, that change in my throat causes me to gasp.
Maybe I should increase the pressure? Sleep in a chair, elevated?
Additional note:  I currently have a cold, and it's quite likely that this is related.
I have only had a tiny bit of sleep over the past few days and I am losing my mind.  
Any suggestions are appreciated.

tx

Do you have a fever? Loss of smell? Achy joints? Exposure to other individuals who appear sick or coughing? Do you have a way to track your heart rate -- and does your heart appear to race only at the time of waking after an apnea? 

I often get sleep/wake junk at the beginning and end of my sleep sessions as do many others. This appears somewhat normal.

Best advice, if something is troubling you and you are seeking peace of mind... give your doctor a quick call. More and more of them are doing things via teleconference.

Best of luck.
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] First Post - Can't stay asleep with CPAP DKane 9 166 Yesterday, 12:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 617 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Central events while falling asleep michaelyu15 7 273 03-20-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: michaelyu15
  CPAP making me feel very tense while I'm asleep jlpool 15 836 03-16-2024, 05:34 PM
Last Post: jlpool
  [CPAP] Trouble staying asleep with CPAP sarahsleeps 44 1,874 03-12-2024, 01:50 PM
Last Post: sarahsleeps
  [CPAP] Month on CPAP can't stay asleep Trep1018 1 139 03-08-2024, 06:10 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  SPO2 still falling with CPAP freedom yayy 12 397 03-07-2024, 10:13 AM
Last Post: freedom yayy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.