Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Help Mask Hicky
Help Mask Hicky
Hello Cpap friends,

I have been on cpap for the last couple of months...been through 3 masks...
the mask I have been using the most (full face) is giving me issues now..have a mask picky and just got fed up last night and took it off..
What to do? I have tried the nasal pillow but my jaw drops open...tried the chin strap but I have to have it so tight ...it hurts.
Please help!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Help Mask Hicky
What do you mean a Hicky ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi forhumanservices,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck to you with your CPAP therapy, hang in there for answers to your question.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
By hickey, do you mean your skin is getting pinched, and then bruised, around where the mask sits?

Note: I'm an epidemiologist, not a medical provider. 
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, correct.
Last night I went back to the nasal pillows because I was worried about
getting all marked up...
woke up several times during the night trying to re-position and keep my mouth closed...
I wonder if the whole thing works at all if my mouth opens, and all the air just comes out my mouth...
Truly a PITA to get used to..
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-12-2017, 09:45 AM)forhumanservices Wrote: I wonder if the whole thing works at all if my mouth opens, and all the air just comes out my mouth...

It is not working. The pressure is being released through the mouth. You'll have to find a way to keep the mouth closed; or use the full face.

Take a look at padacheek from Supplier #31. It might permit you to wear the FFM in comfort.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Try a chin strap.

There are also some strong views against using tape (e.g. 3M Nexcare micropore) but do read up on the different views and cautions on it before contemplating it.
lots-o-coffee
The doctor says coffee does not affect my tinnitus and it's got lots of antioxidants....however, the after dinner drinks are a different matter altogether. 
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks,
so far the chin strap has to be so tight it hurts...
Maybe I need to find a better chin strap..
Who has the most comfortable fuel face mask there is?
Post Reply Post Reply
It appears your full face mask is a poor fit. It should not require being tightened in a way that causes bruises and marks. What brand/model of mask is it? What are your pressures? Please consider filling out your profile more completely.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
thanks I had it sized at the cpap place...
mask res-med Airfit-10 size large
I use the res-med -AirSense 10 Auto
Pressures 7-20 CWP with ramp starting pressure 5 CPW
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face WWu777 8 2,484 03-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Resmed P30i pillow mask user unable to get beyond 1.5 hr on mask Roy289 28 3,172 09-27-2022, 10:47 AM
Last Post: Roy289
  Advice for f and p vitera mask leaks full face mask accetableplaintain 2 3,679 03-23-2022, 09:37 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Help with mask, Definition of EPAP/IPAP and Mask Pressure wesozzzz 1 1,088 11-15-2019, 07:57 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  What's the mask setting of Dreamstation for Bleep DreamPort mask? ChinaMan 5 2,421 10-11-2019, 07:17 PM
Last Post: ChinaMan
  Changing mask from p10 resmed to philips respironics: Mask seal issue Visitor 10 4,822 10-11-2019, 07:25 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Personal Experience On Nasal Mask Compared with Full Face Mask ramphil2019 19 4,518 04-07-2019, 12:01 AM
Last Post: ramphil2019

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.