Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Help! My machine quit working.
Exclaimation 
Help! My machine quit working.
I'm in desperate need of help!

My sleep apnea doctor wanted me to get the Resmed 9 VPAP but my DME would not cover the machine, so I got it online. Now when something happens to the machine, the DME won't cover it.

After 6 months, the CPAP machine stopped blowing correctly. You know how if you pull the mask away from your face while the machine is on, you get the full force of the machine in your face? Well my machine has stopped blowing at the normal pressure.

When I put my hand on the mask during the time that the VPAP machine is on, I can hear a slight blowing but I can't feel any blowing. Also, I have noticed that all the water in the humidifier is still at the level that I put in the night before. I guess that means that air is passing over the water.

Has anyone out there had this problem and if so do you know how to fix it? If not, does anyone know where do I go to get it fixed? I'm so tired, I can hardly move.Sleep-on-pillow

Kate
:Using cpap then vpap since Feb.2013,
Kate
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Help! My machine quit working.
Hi Kate. Even though you bought it online - if new, it should still have warranty? I live in Australia and bought mine online from America, but I know if there is a problem, I can send it back to the states. Hope you find a resolution and get some sleep
Post Reply Post Reply
could your filters be clogged on it? good luck that would have to be scary
Post Reply Post Reply
Kate, check out a few things:

1. Check to be sure the air hose hasn't developed a leak. Take it off the back of the machine and see if you get air pressure without the hose connected.

2. Check to be sure the lid is secure on the water chamber. Disconnect the water chamber from the Resmed unit and see if you get pressure without the water reservoir connected.

3. Check to be sure nothing is blocking the air filter in the back of the machine. Make sure it isn't clogged from dirt or other debris.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-02-2014, 07:11 PM)Kate Wrote: My sleep apnea doctor wanted me to get the Resmed 9 VPAP but my DME would not cover the machine, so I got it online. Now when something happens to the machine, the DME won't cover it.
The machine comes with two years warranty from the manufacturer, get in touch with online supplier
Post Reply Post Reply
I sincerely appreciate everyone's quick response.

I had changed the filter two days before but I just took it off and looked as far in as possible. Nothing. Checked the hose for holes, checked with a new hose, nothing. So I will call the online site. I guess when it comes to machines, it is better not to pay half price because I am on my second replacement since January 2014. Maybe I can get them over the weekend.
Kate
Kate
Post Reply Post Reply
Kate, you have a rather low pressure. Are you sure the machine isn't working properly? Is the ramp time set to zero? If not you'll get an even lower pressure during the ramp time.

Check to see if the machine is producing the correct pressure. With the machine on dunk the end of the hose in a tub of water. When you do this it will make bubbles in the water until you get the hose deep enough for the bubbles to stop. At a pressure of 4 cm H2O, the depth at which the bubbles stop should be 4 cm. Any deeper and there should be no bubbles, any shallower and there should be bubbles.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-02-2014, 10:05 PM)Sleepster Wrote: Check to see if the machine is producing the correct pressure. With the machine on dunk the end of the hose in a tub of water. When you do this it will make bubbles in the water until you get the hose deep enough for the bubbles to stop. At a pressure of 4 cm H2O, the depth at which the bubbles stop should be 4 cm. Any deeper and there should be no bubbles, any shallower and there should be bubbles.

Thanks Sleepster for that po-boy manometer test method. There is a wealth of good instruction and friendly help on this forum. I'll try to add my 2¢ when I can be sure of whereof I speak. I don't have a formal ° in anything but have seen the elephant.

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
I have been using CPAP fora year and a half, so I do know how the ramp pressure feels. But your test is fabulous! I will try that this evening, for sure and let you know what happens. Thank you so much.

Kate
Kate
Post Reply Post Reply
Kate,

I wanted to respond and, in fact, started to but I noticed that you have an SV Adapt machine and I am not familiar with it at all. If it has a smart start feature I would check first to see if the mask type is set to a full face mask. If it is not then check to see if there is a smart start feature and if there is check to make sure that it is not turned on. If it has smart start and it is turned on, this could cause at least some of the symptoms you are experiencing. It would also cause the machine to fail any flow testing.

best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 291 264,053 Yesterday, 05:00 PM
Last Post: Poolboy
  nore cpap is working, again ? Jst617 5 184 03-31-2024, 07:10 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  New Machine and settings not working snapperzz 3 147 03-26-2024, 02:10 AM
Last Post: snapperzz
  Is my Philips Remstar Pro System One working? alanbc 11 471 03-13-2024, 11:41 AM
Last Post: alanbc
  25 years of cpap, and still not working good Johan van der veen 2 224 03-08-2024, 10:15 AM
Last Post: Johan van der veen
Question SD Formatting and OSCAR not working smallhandsfeeding 2 223 02-02-2024, 03:24 PM
Last Post: smallhandsfeeding
  [Equipment] 12 months of therapy. Tried several masks/nothing working Tiredkiwi 5 521 12-30-2023, 11:15 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.