Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Help! My machine quit working.
RE: Help! My machine quit working.
If the power supply is putting out insufficient voltage/amperage for the machine, if it is programmed intelligently, it should throw an error message, or not even boot up, depending on how bad it is. Most modern electronic systems will be barely functional, if at all, if they are running on a questionable or sub-optimal power supply.
Post Reply Post Reply
Paralel,

Any suggestions as to what would cause this problem? Something has made my EPAP pressure go from 8 to 4. This was confirmed by a manometer.

Kate
:Using cpap then vpap since Feb.2013,
Kate
Post Reply Post Reply
Update:

When one of the replacements was sent, I kept trying to use it for about a week. But the machine had the same problem, the EPAP pressure was 4cm and never varied.

But when I took the SD card and read it, it registered 2 days but without any statistics or graphs. It showed no recordings of either Central or Obstructive AHIs.

I believe this means the machines are not fully turning on.
Kate
Kate
Post Reply Post Reply
Kate I wish I knew what to tell you. I think it's probably the best guess that it's the power brick that's causing the problem. Can you take your machine, with the power supply, someplace to be tested?

There is an OUTSIDE CHANCE that it could have something to do with where you have it plugged in. So try it in a different part of the house, or even in a different house.
Post Reply Post Reply
Do you have a meter? If so I'd check the voltage at the wall (slim chance this is the issue) and then check the voltage at the cord prior to the brick (slim chance here as well) then check the voltage from the supply (likely where the issue is).

If you don't have a meter maybe you have a local company that could at least allow you to try one of their power supplies on the unit?

Also, when you sent back the other machine that was exhibiting these problems did you ask them to test it and see what they found? Since they would be using a different supply they could at least confirm or deny there is a problem with the other unit.

Keep in mind that you could have a supply that is frying machines too, we see this on older computers where the supply is bad, and every time you plug a system in you fry the system power board.

Sorry I can't be of more help, that's all I have to offer.
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-15-2014, 10:05 AM)Galactus Wrote: ...Keep in mind that you could have a supply that is frying machines too, we see this on older computers where the supply is bad, and every time you plug a system in you fry the system power board...

I believe this is a strong point. I have seen this go both ways, one power supply eating every system it is attached to, as well as the reverse in recent years with the intelligent power supplies where a bad machine will shut them down and they won't come back until they've been disconnected for at least a minute or two from the mains power and the internal soft fuse auto-resets.

What you may want to do is get one of those universal power supplies at a Best Buy, Radio Shack, local computer place that is capable of putting out the minimum number of watts and the correct voltage for your machine along with the correct tip to interface with your machine. The power supplies for modern CPAP machines are nothing more than re-purposed portable computer power supplies. The PR System One power supplies are nothing more than 80W laptop chargers with a larger than typical barrel attachment so you can't easily use a laptop power supply with it (since that would be cheaper and you wouldn't need to go to them for a new power supply, and they certainly don't want that).
Post Reply Post Reply
UPDATE TO MY MACHINE QUIT

UPDATE: Sent all of the machines back and Supplier #2 is sending me my money for the original purchase.

I have ordered a new machine from a supplier that does not sell second hand machloines. They have my prescription online which says " new mask, plus easybreath and 8/4 under it". The supplier says that does not say specifically a new machine. They need another prescription from the doctor. My doctors front office is terrible, so for three days I've been calling in to the supplier to see if they have the prescription.

Yesterday, they told me that that was enough and they would send it out today. But I called today and they had no record of the call yestarday and they were still waiting to hear back from the doctor. So much for customer service makin notes.

I am no closer to getting a machine than I was on July 31. What am I, chopped liver?

Kate
Kate
Post Reply Post Reply
Me personally, I'd show up at the doctors office and wait till someone gave me the stupid script. But that's just me and I can be mean at times, especially when people ignore me.
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
While I cant help with the machine really I can on the DME thing. Unless you are paying out of pocket, your insurance uses codes to class the types of machines. Any machine under that code pays your DME the same amount of money. So some if not most will simply say we dont carry that or we cant or wont get x machine because the make more on a cheaper machine.

I fired my first DME who I had a temporary O2 compressor from while going thru titration study because of that very thing. Because they "claimed" which I found out from their national office was baloney btw" they werent allowed to get me the machine I wanted that feel under the same code but was fully data capable with latest firmware etc and cost about 300 more. Which left them making 650 bucks on the machine instead of 850.

Get a hard copy of your prescription and dont be afraid to let the DME know YOU know what the story actually is when it comes to insurance and machines.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Machine and settings not working snapperzz 3 93 03-26-2024, 02:10 AM
Last Post: snapperzz
  Is my Philips Remstar Pro System One working? alanbc 11 372 03-13-2024, 11:41 AM
Last Post: alanbc
  25 years of cpap, and still not working good Johan van der veen 2 176 03-08-2024, 10:15 AM
Last Post: Johan van der veen
Question SD Formatting and OSCAR not working smallhandsfeeding 2 199 02-02-2024, 03:24 PM
Last Post: smallhandsfeeding
  [Equipment] 12 months of therapy. Tried several masks/nothing working Tiredkiwi 5 492 12-30-2023, 11:15 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 283 262,143 11-10-2023, 10:24 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [Treatment] new to this - is it working? human 7 571 11-04-2023, 11:45 AM
Last Post: human

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.