Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Help Needed - Continued Insomnia with APAP
Help Needed - Continued Insomnia with APAP
I need some help with sleep maintenance insomnia/middle of the night insomnia.

I'm 7 months into treatment and have 100% compliance with my APAP. I do feel better to an extent, but I'm still struggling to feel functional. (There's a LOT of coffee in my life still.) My AHI is generally under 1.5.

My main issue is that after about 5 hours of sleep I wake up and can't fall back asleep for between 30 minutes to several hours. I absolutely have to go back to sleep as I typically need 8-9 hours to be functional. This has been a nightly problem for me since childhood, so it's not related to age or situation (I'm 46 now). I have implemented pretty strict sleep hygiene, and thus I'm pretty sure it's related to the Apnea. I was hoping strong APAP compliance would fix the problem, but it has not improved at all. I'm wondering if maybe this is a RERA issue or something that is subtle and that I'm not understanding.

I'm wondering if anyone has experience with fixing this type of issue? I'm so tired of being tired. Attached are a few screenshots from Oscar as well as some data from my initial sleep study. I'm happy to provide zoomed-in shots or other data if needed.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Help Needed - Continued Insomnia with APAP
Look at http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php/Sleep_hygiene
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi thank you! Yes. I have been very strict with sleep hygiene for several decades now. I worked with a therapist to get that under control (including sleep restriction) for a while, but it has not been effective. That's why I'm asking now about possible RERAs or something more breathing related.
Post Reply Post Reply
Then bring EPR in and let's knock down the flow limitations.

Try EPR=2
Post Reply Post Reply
Okay cool. I can try that.
Post Reply Post Reply
BTW - how many nights of using the EPR do you think it would take to see if that will make a difference?
Post Reply Post Reply
Hard to know.

We'll want to see what happens to your FL graph and numbers with increased EPR, and whether it increases your centrals.
Caveats: I'm just a patient, with no medical training.
Post Reply Post Reply
Show at one night. When we get where it looks promising we will let it run a while.
Post Reply Post Reply
What physical size are you?
Your minute vent / tidal volume figures are quite low.
Those flow limits could be really impacting on you, bonjour's advice is good.
Your flow limits aren't baaaad, but at tidal volumes that low they may well be causing you issues.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm 5'4", 125 lbs. (f)
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bad Insomnia r4robin 5 212 03-25-2024, 09:58 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Issues with APAP WWYD FlyingUmbrella683 1 86 03-22-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Canadian here without insurance. Purchase advice needed. TrailerSweetheart 31 5,515 03-21-2024, 06:54 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New APAP machine: Lowenstein Prisma Smart Max Robert Detz 10 362 03-21-2024, 07:58 AM
Last Post: WisNaeMe
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 2 143 03-20-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: slowmoto
  [Health] RESMED APAP tuning sleeper2460 10 557 03-18-2024, 08:43 AM
Last Post: sleeper2460
  APAP optimization assistance jayed53 9 426 03-14-2024, 03:13 PM
Last Post: jayed53

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.