Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Help Needed [am I doomed?]
My pressure setting was just upped to 13. It started out at 9, then upped to 10, 11 and 12 over the course of 6 years that I've been using CPAP therapy. Before CPAP my AHI was about 20 events per hour, now I still have 8-9 AHI's per hour. I would think that after all these 6 years using CPAP nightly that my AHI's would have improved significantly. I also use the Fisher & Paykel Simplus full face mask and I seem to be up half the night adjusting it as I move around continuously during the night. I probably get only 2-3 actual hours of sleep at night even though I may be in bed 7 hours! Never have any quality sleep and unlike you am still very tired during the day with little energy. Everyone I know that has sleep apnea and using CPAP have raved about what a difference it's made in that they feel so refreshed and rested during the day now and don't feel like they need a daytime nap. I get so tired during the day that when I'm driving I close my eyes and rest every time I'm at a traffic light just to get a few seconds of rest. My insurance company rarely pays for new equipment for me but I'd like to be able to have a machine like you have that adjusts the pressure automatically when you sleep. I have a very difficult time breathing out (exhaling) against the air and that also keeps me awake a good part of the night. Am I doomed or do you think I should just continue to fight through the discomfort I have with my mask and my extreme lack of sleep???
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: [split] Help Needed
(10-11-2016, 05:44 PM)jennie54 Wrote: Am I doomed or do you think I should just continue to fight through the discomfort I have with my mask and my extreme lack of sleep???

I think that you could be doomed if you give up!

There are some things you can do.

1. Software. Sleepyhead is good, especially for your machine. Your profile says you're using ResScan, but that can't work with your PRS1 machine. Software will help you determine whether pressure increases really were the right thing to do, and help you get your AHI lower. It will also let you know just how bad the leaks are.

2. Better-fitting mask. Work with your equipment provider to get a better fitting mask. Why are you wearing a full face mask instead of nasal pillows?

3. Craigslist. Keep your eye out for a better machine. An auto-adjusting bi-level machine will help you exhale against the pressure.

(Note that I moved your post to a new thread to help others see it.)
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: [split] Help Needed
I recently saw new Philips Dreamstation machines for $427 and new Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset for $650 on Amazon. Good deals are also available from Supplier #2. If your insurance is high deductible or you can't get something from them, have your prescription in hand and save for a better machine.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Jennie54,

I had the same problems with having to readjust the Simplus mask through the night. I found a simple fix for me. After I have the mask adjusted properly and with the machine on, I gently pull the mask away from my face slightly so air is escaping from all around the perifery of the mask. Then let the mask back down onto my face. This ensures that all of the cushions get inflated and will be effective.

Another thing to pay attention to is the tightness of the upper straps. Most people get the best results with the forehead stabilizer not quite in contact with their forehead. This depends on how much drop there is from your forehead to your nasal bridge. You want it so that the roll-seal at your nasal bridge is about in the middle of its travel so that it has the best chance of doing its job.

I hope some of this might help you. I know it helped me.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Canadian here without insurance. Purchase advice needed. TrailerSweetheart 31 5,515 03-21-2024, 06:54 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 2 143 03-20-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: slowmoto
  Help needed to understand chart SteveC 0 97 03-11-2024, 11:54 PM
Last Post: SteveC
  Help needed SteveC 23 1,062 03-02-2024, 05:16 PM
Last Post: SteveC
  help needed teamarliss 7 290 02-25-2024, 10:11 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
Wink [CPAP] NEW USER - Assistance Needed Interpreting OSCAR Data tommythecat 1 276 02-17-2024, 12:55 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  Advice Needed With Settings and Deciphering OSCAR Data WhatIsRemSleep 16 947 02-12-2024, 01:04 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.