Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Help Needed with SleepyHead on Mac
Help Needed with SleepyHead on Mac
I downloaded sleepyhead 9.8-1 from Sorceforge and can't make it work on my computer (a 2.3 GH, 8GB RAM Mac Powerbook currently running OS 10.8.5).

The Sleepyhead program starts up but quits "unexpectedly" frequently right at the start, though it seems to let me "reopen" the program okay. Then, when I try to import the data from the SD card, there is never any data displayed--all the screens are totally devoid of data.

I've frequently gotten a reminder message saying to be sure that I point to the root file or something like that, but I don't understand what I'm being told.

Frankly, I'm not even sure I've got the right version of Sleepyhead (Is it possible I downloaded the PC verison?) and if I have got the wrong version, I have no idea how to uninstall it so I can get the right one.

I'm totally lost.

Can someone help me with this? I hope to find someone who can really walk me step by step through fixing this.

Thank you.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Help Needed with SleepyHead on Mac
G'day VisitorX, welcome to Apnea Board.

The latest official release of Sleepyhead can be found here: http://www.sleepfiles.com/SH2/ The Windows and Mac versions are clearly labelled. The regular version should be fine, but if you experience graphics problems, try the "Broken GL" version.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you. Two questios.

1. If I had accidentally downloaded the PC version, would it run at all? (If not, then I must have the Mac version.)

2. If I want to download another version (whether the right--Mac--version or a "Broken GL" version [if there is one for Macs?]) I assume I need to remove the old version from my system. How do I do that?

Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
I doubt the Windows version would run at all on a Mac, but I'm no expert on Macs so I may be wrong.

On Windows, you can install a new version without removing the old one, which will remain inactive on your hard drive. This allows you to revert to the old version if you need to. Again, I don't know how it works on a Mac, but I suspect it would be the same.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-07-2015, 07:24 AM)VisitorX Wrote: 2. If I want to download another version (whether the right--Mac--version or a "Broken GL" version [if there is one for Macs?]) I assume I need to remove the old version from my system. How do I do that?

Thanks!

Hi VisitorX,

I'm pretty familiar Macs and how to remove unwanted programs from them.

Here's what you do:
1. Open a new Finder Window (you can find the Finder right besides the Apple on the far upper left - The Finder is to the immediate right of the Apple)
2.Look down the menu bar of the Finder until you get to your APPLICATIONS FOLDER - open the applications folder
3. Look for the Sleepyhead program
4. When you find the Sleepyhead program - drag it to your trash can that is located in your dock! Empty trash can.

That's it. You have now deleted the Sleepyhead program from your Mac and can download the Broken GL version into your Mac.
Be the change that you wish to see in the world
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks. I deleted the version from my applications folder (and dock) and downloaded the broken GL one for Macs. A message came up saying that my computer was compatible with the Open GL, so (after trying the broken GL version--still didn't work) I deleted that and downloaded the Open Gl for Mac version. I then dragged the new sheep icon to my applications folder and also my dock.

Still not working -- no data displays.

I'm wondering if one problem might be that I keep getting a message that says to point my cursor (or something) at the root folder. I tried pointing it (that is, selecting/highlighting) the "users" folder in the window that came up, as that semed to be the highest and most emcompassing folder. But still no luck.

I hope that someone can keep helping. Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just FYI I had exactly the same problem happen on my MacBookAir (13" Mid 2011 1.7 GHz Intel Core i5 with 4GB DDR3, Intel HD Graphics 3000 384MB, running OSX Yosemite 10.10.5. I have downloaded and installed the broken GL with the exact same message VisitorX got. However, before when I had the Open GL version, on my Dock it just showed a question mark ? instead of the little sheep that is the logo for Sleepyhead, so I have reason to hope this might work on my MBA.

I don't know if it's fully functional yet as I don't have any data to add into Sleepyhead yet. If I have time, I'll try in the next few days.
APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!!  Rolleyes  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm still not able to get this going. Is there anyone who really knows Macs and Sleepyhead well enough to resolve this with me?
Post Reply Post Reply
I really need help. I just found out today, based on my last PSG, that my situation is not good. I have complex sleep apnea with obstructive apneas during REM sleep and central apneas during non-REM sleep. I may be developing heart failure. It is really essential that I get my SleepyHead up and running so that I can evalate which of the treatments I am trying are working, and whether they are affecting the obstructive apneas, central apneas, or both. Is there someone, please, who is really a computer expert, who can walk me though the set up by phone? This must be someone who truly a computer pro and knows both Macs and SleepyHead backwards and forwards. The advice I've gotten so far was no help.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi VisitorX

I have been on macs since 2009 but I am not a pro however I see no one has answered you for weeks, so I'll take a stab at it although I don't have much of anything new to add.

I would recommend getting an app called AppCleaner and installing it first. It is a small app I keep on both my MacBook Air and my iMac desktop. It allows you to completely remove a program and all it's little files computers have a way of installing all over the place. After you have installed it drag the SleepyHead icon from your App Folder into the open AppCleaner program 'window'. You will likely see a list of files it has found on your mac. Then click 'remove'.
Now we go back to install the BrokenGL version. I'm pretty sure I still got the message you did saying I could run the OpenGL version but I ignored it and proceeded anyway.

Only other thing I can think of is your OSX version. I don't really think it's that, but I am running Yosemite 10.10.5. I am wondering if you updated your OSX if that would help?

Keep us updated on if any of this works.
APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!!  Rolleyes  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Z1 software advice needed aavenger 1 461 09-07-2023, 06:52 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Software needed for APEX XT auto (model 9S-005720) Boruch 6 2,403 05-20-2023, 09:35 PM
Last Post: Jeff8356
  Data from Prisma Smart & Soft CPAP machines [no longer needed] GuyScharf 31 6,255 04-29-2023, 07:19 AM
Last Post: dannahaz
  Oscar - export daily "details" needed - power of data analysis / correlation PaulNL 16 1,648 10-27-2021, 12:13 PM
Last Post: pholynyk
Sad OSCAR help needed MikeyT 18 1,782 01-31-2020, 07:24 AM
Last Post: MikeyT
  Help needed with Graphics Registry Change Buzzard 2 617 11-05-2019, 06:47 PM
Last Post: Buzzard
Arrow [Admin Note] SleepyHead Dreamstation AutoSV Patch [DATA NEEDED see post #2] Greggory 59 18,331 08-29-2018, 09:40 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.