Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Help Needed with SleepyHead on Mac
RE: Help Needed with SleepyHead on Mac
Hi VisitorX, I'm not a Mac person, neither am I a computer professional. However I do have a couple of observations which may help.

Quote:I'm wondering if one problem might be that I keep getting a message that says to point my cursor (or something) at the root folder. I tried pointing it (that is, selecting/highlighting) the "users" folder in the window that came up, as that semed to be the highest and most emcompassing folder. But still no luck.

I'm not entirely sure from your description, but that sounds like a message you get when SleepyHead is trying to find your data for the first time. It is searching for the root directory of your SD card (which on my computer is H:\). If this is the case, then SleepyHead is running and just can't find your data. Perhaps you could post a screenshot to confirm if this is the case.

The second issue doesn't relate to SleepyHead at all, but to your apnea. If you were getting a large quantity of central apneas in your sleep test (and presumably while not experiencing CPAP), then your current machine will not treat them. An Autoset will simply record a central and add it to your AHI score but takes no other action. If the centrals are a significant component of your total apnea score then you will require a different type of machine called adaptive servo-ventilator (ASV). If you are getting centrals in conjunction with heart failure then you need serious medical advice. Sorry to be blunt, but messing around with SleepyHead is not going to solve this issue for you. You need to get your sleep doctor and cardiologist talking to each other and jointly with them devise a treatment strategy.
Post Reply Post Reply
Kate 1898 and DeepBreathing,

Thanks for both of your replies; and thanks for responding at all notwithstanding my (overblown) demand for Mac / SleepyHead pros only. I wrote that in a moment of stress and only because I have very limited time to try to debug this myself, but in reality I'm happy to keep trying, to the extent I am able, approaches suggested by informed laypeople.

Hopefully this evening I will have time to try the approach that Cate1898 suggested. I will respond to both posts after I try Cate's suggested approach.

Thanks again,

VX
Post Reply Post Reply
Kate 1898 and DeepBreathing,

I'm finally getting to your suggestions and comments. Thanks for your patience.

Kate - I downloaded AppCleaner, removed my old SH, and downloaded the broken GL version. Still no luck. I'm running OX 10.8.5--not the newest OS but not too old either, so I doubt age is the issue. In case it's relevant, while trying to import data, I got a message which I've attached as "Grab 1." I responded to that by (properly or not) deleting the folder from my documents folder. In any case, there was no data to be seen.

DeepBreathing - As noted, no data this time, either. I've attached a screenshot as Grab 2 showing what I'm getting (or not getting). I welcome other ideas.

As for my medical condition, thanks for your "blunt" comments. I am in the process of arranging to see a new cardiologist. Between 2009 and 2012, I did three echos, all showing my ejection fraction (EF) at the lower limit of normal (LLN), which the cardiologists kept reading as perfectly fine. I did these echos in response to an increase in my respiratory rate when I'd lie down in bed--I guess you'd call this recumbent relative tachypnea--but with no dyspnea. However, during the past year, I've developed dyspnea on reclining (i.e., orthopnea), which as gotten worse over the past several months. I'm in the process of trying to connect with a different (academic) cardiologist who is an expert in global strain echocardiography, which is said to be more sensitive and precise than traditional EF measurements, because I don't want to end up with another LLN read as normal and telling me to go home. The strain analysis should give a more sensitive test if there is something serious going on, even if my EF is in the normal range. I've just sent this new (prospective) cardiologist's office my most recent polysomnogram; once I see him, if he feels there is in fact a cardiac problem, I'll definitely connect him and my sleep doctor.

As for my sleep study: I just started seeing a new doctor, an expert in complex sleep apnea, and had a PSG last week (this was my 11th or 12th since 2000) which showed an AHI in the low 20's, consisting almost entirely of hypopneas, including both obstructive hypopeas during REM and central periodic-form hypopneas during Non-REM. These NREM hypopneas apparently involve periodic respirations with the hypopneas at the troughs, but there is some element of (partial) respiratory effort present as well, so they are being scored automatically as obstructive, though the doctors are calling them primarily centrally mediated, based on the incomplete respiratory effort and their periodic form. My desats are not too bad, a low of 84% and only 2 minutes spent below 87% during four hours of sleep. However, my sleep is badly fragmented, with 0 time in N3 and only 13 minutes in REM.

The doctors are describing my situation as "severe complex/mixed" with evidence of both REM-dominant obstructive disease and NREM-dominant centrally mediated disease. They are pescribing an extensive sent of interventions, some of which I've already been doing. The complete new regimen being recommended is: (1) auto-CPAP 8-12 range (I've currently been using fixed CPAP at low pressures, like 6 cm) to deal with the REM obstructive hypopneas without, hopefully, exacerbating the central hypopneas; (2) continued use of my mandibular advancement device and (3) "back pack" to keep me off my back--again for the obstructive component; to which they are adding (4) 100 cm of dead space to raise inspired PCO2 and (5) acetazolamide--both for the central component. On my own, I'm in the process of buying a recliner to see if sleeping semi-upright has any benefit (and it's likely to be helpful for when I have orthopnea in any case). Oh, by the way, I sleep with tape over my mouth for a bad mouth leak with my nasal mask (so far, I've not found a FFM that first well enough) and I recently started sleeping also with a foam cervical collar to prevent "neck tuck." I'm not a very appealing bed partner, as you can imagine.

If you have any comments, they're most welcome; you sound like someone with a good bit of knowledge and experience...

Thanks to all.

VX
Post Reply Post Reply
G'day VisitorX

OK, it looks like you're well on top of the medical side of things so I'll offer no more gratuitous advice on that score. Smile

In relation to SleepyHead it's obvious the program is running. The message about the lock file can be ignored if you're not already running a copy of SH - it always shows up after a program crash or other non-standard exit from the program. The thing now is to get the data into your computer so that SH can process it. Click on the Import icon (looks like an SD card) and SleepyHead will first look for the SD card and put up a dialog box asking if you want to import from that location. Just click Yes, and it should automatically import the data from your card. You mentioned in an earlier post about being directed to the root directory - this refers to the root directory on the card, which will something like E:\ or F:\ (depending on how the drives are configured on your PC). If you try to select one of the directories within the card (eg Datalog) then SH can get confused.

All this relates to the Windows version, but I assume the Mac is essentially similar.

Hope this helps
Post Reply Post Reply
I have been hitting the import button right along, and continue to end up with no data. I just tried again. It says "please insert a data card"--it says that even if the card is already inserted. Then it gives me the option to choose a folder. I get the same negative result regardless whether I do nothing or click on the folder SH established in my documents file. BTW, there is no drive designation (e.g., H:// etc) on Macs; it's all done with images. Thanks for hanging in there with me. I've gotten nowhere so far.
Post Reply Post Reply
Blind leading the blind here... Cool

Ignoring SH for a moment, what happens when you insert a data card into the Mac? Do you get an icon pop up or something like that which would give you something to click on when SH asks for it?
Post Reply Post Reply
DB - I just inserted the SD card again, to find the answer to your question, and for the first time (or the first time I noticed) I got a message (see attached screen shot) asking if I wanted to import from that location. I said yes and (!) I now see data in SH. I just repeated the process, and it worked again. So thank you very much. I have noticed, however, that an icon of the SD card appears on my desktop only some of the times that I insert the SD card--so perhaps that is part of the problem. Well, I'm going to assume that things are working now. Question: If I now want to understand how to use the program and what all the data graphs mean, do you have suggestions for self-education? Is the SH users' guide sufficient to teach me how to interpret / expand the graphs? Are there videos anywhere? (Ideally for Macs but I'll try my best with others, too). Thanks again, very much.
Post Reply Post Reply
I wonder if you have been inserting the SD card before you start SleepyHead, or starting SleepyHead first?
It may be that OSX hasn't had time enough to mount/open the SD card. Or that having SH open and looking at /Volumes prevents OSX from mounting the card.
I would try inserting the SD card first, waiting for it to show up, and even opening it yourself, all before starting SleepyHead. This works for me with Linux; it may work for you. Sadly, my Mac stopped recognizing it's hard drive before I got my xPAP machine, so I haven't tried any of this.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-04-2015, 09:20 AM)VisitorX Wrote: DB - I just inserted the SD card again, to find the answer to your question, and for the first time (or the first time I noticed) I got a message (see attached screen shot) asking if I wanted to import from that location. I said yes and (!) I now see data in SH. I just repeated the process, and it worked again. So thank you very much.

Banana Banana Banana Banana Banana Banana Banana Banana Banana

Quote:Question: If I now want to understand how to use the program and what all the data graphs mean, do you have suggestions for self-education? Is the SH users' guide sufficient to teach me how to interpret / expand the graphs? Are there videos anywhere? (Ideally for Macs but I'll try my best with others, too). Thanks again, very much.

RobySue's guide http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...SleepyHead is very good and detailed. It's a little out of date but most of it is still relevant. It was originally written in thread form and the wiki version needs a bit of a tidy up (on my to-do list) but it's still the best written guide I've seen. If you prefer videos, search YouTube for SleepyHead CPAP and quite a few will come up. TheLankyLefty27 seems to know his stuff.

Post Reply Post Reply
Pholynyk -- it doesn't seem to matter whether I have SH running first or not. Sometimes the icon for the SD appears and sometines not, unpredictably. If it doesn't appear, I don't have the option to import data from it. In fact, I'm not quite sure I'm actually even quitting SH. I close the window and on my Mac doc it looks like the program is closed, but when I try to close SH by going directly into the menu, the "quit" command is not available to me (it is grayed, not selectable).

DeepBreating - thanks for that suggestion for self-education. The Wiki guide looks substantial, to say the least. Mabye I'll check out some videos, too.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Z1 software advice needed aavenger 1 460 09-07-2023, 06:52 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Software needed for APEX XT auto (model 9S-005720) Boruch 6 2,400 05-20-2023, 09:35 PM
Last Post: Jeff8356
  Data from Prisma Smart & Soft CPAP machines [no longer needed] GuyScharf 31 6,245 04-29-2023, 07:19 AM
Last Post: dannahaz
  Oscar - export daily "details" needed - power of data analysis / correlation PaulNL 16 1,644 10-27-2021, 12:13 PM
Last Post: pholynyk
Sad OSCAR help needed MikeyT 18 1,782 01-31-2020, 07:24 AM
Last Post: MikeyT
  Help needed with Graphics Registry Change Buzzard 2 615 11-05-2019, 06:47 PM
Last Post: Buzzard
Arrow [Admin Note] SleepyHead Dreamstation AutoSV Patch [DATA NEEDED see post #2] Greggory 59 18,315 08-29-2018, 09:40 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.