Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Help! New Resmeds Puffing Air
Help! New Resmeds Puffing Air
I have used an Escape II cpap at pressure 6 for 5 years. It is time for a new machine, so I got the fancy Airsense 10 for Her. I hated it because as I would start to fall asleep and breathe more slowly, it would start these little puffs of air at me that woke me up. It even did that when I was fully awake. I tried on an S9 Elite, and it did that, too. Why did they ruin my nice resmed from 5 years ago? Does anyone know about the S9 Escape or Escape Auto? What about the autoset? I hate to waste money and sleep on bad machines. I emailed Resmed, and they said they said to ask my DME provider. I asked two DME providors who had no idea.

Also, the heated hose still got water up my nose and was on the lowest setting. I am in humid Texas, but I thought a lowest setting would help with dry mouth.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Help! New Resmeds Puffing Air
Clearskiesaustin, you can set the Airsense 10 autoset for her to CPAP mode. You are accustomed to single pressure, and it will work fine on that machine. You can get the clinical manual here, http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-pr...tup-manual and the way to get into the setting menu is:

Quote:he "dial" can be turned or pushed. The button below the screen with the house icon is called the "home" button. To access the clinician menu, press the dial and the home buttons simultaneously for 3 seconds. The clinician menu will appear. Select parameter(s) you wish to modify with the dial (push down to select, turn to modify). When done, press the dial and home buttons for 3 seconds again, or find the "exit clinical menu" option in the menus. (complete manual available via email, below)
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, we set it to pressure 6 and turned off every feature possible but it still puffed air at me. I returned it and am back to my 5 year old Escape II.

Post Reply Post Reply
The new version CPAP with data is the Autosense 10 Elite. There is also a CPAP and Escape, that cost slightly less, but they don't produce data. Yours is the first complaint I've heard on the Autoset for Her, which is considered by many to be the nicest auto CPAP on the market.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Clearskiesaustin,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
It may be that you need to keep trying the new machine so you can get used to it. If you can do that, you would be better served by the newer technology in the AirSense 10 AutoSet For Her.
Hang in there for more responses to your post and much success to you as you continue your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I tried the Airsense for the maximum weeks they would let me keep it before I had to decide to return it. Another forum said that it sends out puffs of air after you stop breathing for 4 seconds to determine if your airway is open, but they said the Philips brand waits 10 seconds. I counted my speed of breathing awake, and I sometimes wait 4 seconds to breathe awake. However, my daytime oxygen tests at 98, so it should not be a problem. This machine does not like the way I breathe. However, I got a simple z1 travel cpap, and love it. I had no trouble adjusting to it when traveling, so that tells me that the Airsense is not a good match for me and it is not a matter of practice. I just need a simple machine for daily use at home. I am wondering if the s9 Escape has tha horrible air puffing, or if it is like my old Escape II. I just am trying to find a simple machine that works for me. The Airsense was horrible.
Post Reply Post Reply
I know the puffing, but it is, for me, not very noticeable. It helps with central apneas'.
Post Reply Post Reply
You're probably feeling the "Forced Oscillation Technique" (FOT) pulses the ResMed machines use to try and distinguish central apneas from obstructive. There appears to be no way to turn this off. It is not related to Auto, CPAP mode, EPR, or anything else you can adjust.

I suspect the S9 Escape machines wouldn't do this, but I'm not 100% sure. All of the Airsense 10 machines detect apnea, so I presume they do FOT.

Philips Respironics PRS1 uses "pressure pulses," which don't flutter. The PRS1 pressure pulse is a higher pressure change than FOT, but it only turns on and off once. I'm guessing the PRS1 Plus, SE, and DS160 won't do this, since they don't detect apnea, but I'm not 100% sure.

Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yeah - my S9 did that. When I wake up early in the morning, I sometimes pause between breaths, not because of some apneic event, I just breathe that way sometimes. The S9 Auto would start a little staccato bop-bop-bop-bop-bop rythmic pressure bumps that I found disturbing.

I have switched to the Respironics 560 as of a few days ago and I haven't noticed the same phenomenon - I think the S-9 is thinking I (or you) are having some kind of apnea and is using little jack hammer pressure bumps to knoc the airway open.

I would suggest for you that you find out how to take the Airsense 10 out of auto mode and run it in CPAP mode for a few nights, at your 95% pressure, and see if that works better for you. BTW - I jsut read what Archangle wrote right above, so this may not work.

Did you send the Airsnese 10 back? If so, and you still need a new machine, you may consider looking at another line like the Respironics - or I even like the DeVillbiss Intellipap Auto - but it lacks some of the ease of reporting that the Resmed and Respironis feature unless you be a snap on module.

OMM
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, everyone!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Chipmunk cheeks/mouth puffing her.suit 2 452 01-29-2024, 08:56 PM
Last Post: mesenteria
  Mouth puffing up with tape shamrock72 12 2,189 11-02-2023, 01:29 PM
Last Post: antond
  AirSense 11 makes "puffing" sounds after power off alexbtr 3 3,568 08-11-2022, 12:52 PM
Last Post: alexbtr
  Need Help with SH Results and cheek puffing littlefatcat 14 2,074 02-24-2019, 03:05 PM
Last Post: littlefatcat
  cheek puffing causing me to open mouth mzdawn74 19 6,599 08-11-2015, 01:48 PM
Last Post: MsFigg
  difference between ResMeds ASV Machines apneaguy 2 2,741 02-22-2015, 04:06 PM
Last Post: vsheline

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.