Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Help New User
RE: Help New User
(06-25-2014, 04:06 PM)tcarmen Wrote:
(06-25-2014, 01:36 PM)jaycee Wrote: Don't give up. I've spoken with 100's of patients that have told me that CPAP has litterally changed their lives. Many of those success stories will be posted right here on this message board.

I'm one of them. I spent my entire adult life waking up feeling awful.

Now I wake up and feel awesome almost very day. Even when I don't feel awesome, I feel "OK".

Whenever someone mentions "compliance" problems, I always get a chuckle, because the difference is so astonishing, I absolutely won't ever sleep without my machine, anywhere, ever.

It does take a lot of trial-and-error. I actually ordered probably a half dozen different masks on the internet because my DME only carried one brand. It figures that the one that doesn't hurt and doesn't leak at all is one he doesn't carry and disparaged as "old fashioned", so it might take a little pro-active work, but it's definitely worth it.

Terry
Thanks for the encouragement. Hope I can get adjusted soon. The claustrophobia gives me near panic attacks not conducive to sleep. Now that I know I am experience the same things everyone does perhaps that will help me relax and let the machine do what it does
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-25-2014, 07:37 PM)truthornothing Wrote:
(06-25-2014, 04:06 PM)tcarmen Wrote:
(06-25-2014, 01:36 PM)jaycee Wrote: Don't give up. I've spoken with 100's of patients that have told me that CPAP has litterally changed their lives. Many of those success stories will be posted right here on this message board.

I'm one of them. I spent my entire adult life waking up feeling awful.

Now I wake up and feel awesome almost very day. Even when I don't feel awesome, I feel "OK".

Whenever someone mentions "compliance" problems, I always get a chuckle, because the difference is so astonishing, I absolutely won't ever sleep without my machine, anywhere, ever.

It does take a lot of trial-and-error. I actually ordered probably a half dozen different masks on the internet because my DME only carried one brand. It figures that the one that doesn't hurt and doesn't leak at all is one he doesn't carry and disparaged as "old fashioned", so it might take a little pro-active work, but it's definitely worth it.

Terry
Thanks for the encouragement. Hope I can get adjusted soon. The claustrophobia gives me near panic attacks not conducive to sleep. Now that I know I am experience the same things everyone does perhaps that will help me relax and let the machine do what it does

WOW!! Last night I slept almost 8 hrs, the previous night my AHI was over 39 last night 6.9 my 95 was 15 and my mean was 10 Smile It took about an hour but I stopped fighting the machine and just let it have its way with me. I changed the settings as you guys recommended and for the first time in I cannot remember when I actually feel rested. I hope this is not an anomaly but I really feel good. Thank You for all your help

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-26-2014, 05:13 AM)truthornothing Wrote: WOW!! Last night I slept almost 8 hrs, the previous night my AHI was over 39 last night 6.9 my 95 was 15 and my mean was 10 Smile It took about an hour but I stopped fighting the machine and just let it have its way with me. I changed the settings as you guys recommended and for the first time in I cannot remember when I actually feel rested. I hope this is not an anomaly but I really feel good. Thank You for all your help

Good job Truth guy, way to go.

Now, just keep everything as it is for a few days and see where your ahi and such settles in. 1/2 the battle is to stop fighting the machine and realize that you and the machine are one. You got that done and that's great.

Your 6.9 will probably come down a bit all by itself as you settle in to your new lifestyle, and if not we'll figure out what minor tweaking needs done to get to your sweet spot.

Good job!
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-26-2014, 01:00 PM)retired_guy Wrote:
(06-26-2014, 05:13 AM)truthornothing Wrote: WOW!! Last night I slept almost 8 hrs, the previous night my AHI was over 39 last night 6.9 my 95 was 15 and my mean was 10 Smile It took about an hour but I stopped fighting the machine and just let it have its way with me. I changed the settings as you guys recommended and for the first time in I cannot remember when I actually feel rested. I hope this is not an anomaly but I really feel good. Thank You for all your help

Now, just keep everything as it is for a few days and see where your ahi and such settles in. 1/2 the battle is to stop fighting the machine and realize that you and the machine are one. You got that done and that's great.

Your 6.9 will probably come down a bit all by itself as you settle in to your new lifestyle, and if not we'll figure out what minor tweaking needs done to get to your sweet spot.

Good job!

Thanks,

I slept very well last night after I got my GF to leave me alone..She thinks my mask and home made chin strap are sooooo sexy lol.
Here are my numbers from last night p95 11.5 mean 9.5 AHI 1.5 !!Snore index 4.3

Not too bad considering 2 nights ago my AHI was 39 plus!! Yesterday I felt so good it was near Eurphoric today I feel amazing as well. Which is good as we are packing and loading for a cross country move today. Leaving on Sunday. It will be nice to drive without nodding.

Two things, my nose is killing me at the base. Any suggestions? The other is the ramp. I have discovered that I become anxious and feel that I cannot breathe while it ramps up but once I am at full pressure I am ok Its ok to turn it off right?
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-27-2014, 08:02 AM)truthornothing Wrote: I slept very well last night after I got my GF to leave me alone..She thinks my mask and home made chin strap are sooooo sexy lol.

The other is the ramp. I have discovered that I become anxious and feel that I cannot breathe while it ramps up but once I am at full pressure I am ok Its ok to turn it off right?

well, better to have her think it's sexy than discouraging you from wearing it like some other poster elsewhere complained about HIS wife... of course, maybe she's just after his insurance money Smile

the ramp is there purely for your comfort. if you don't like it, do turn it off!
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-27-2014, 08:02 AM)truthornothing Wrote:
(06-26-2014, 01:00 PM)retired_guy Wrote:

Good job!

Thanks,

I slept very well last night after I got my GF to leave me alone..She thinks my mask and home made chin strap are sooooo sexy lol.

Not too bad considering 2 nights ago my AHI was 39 plus!! Yesterday I felt so good it was near Eurphoric today I feel amazing as well. Which is good as we are packing and loading for a cross country move today. Leaving on Sunday. It will be nice to drive without nodding.

Two things, my nose is killing me at the base. Any suggestions? The other is the ramp. I have discovered that I become anxious and feel that I cannot breathe while it ramps up but once I am at full pressure I am ok Its ok to turn it off right?

Yes, now that you're a "pro" just turn the ramp off. Or increase the starting pressure for it to 8 or so.

The nosie thing will hopefully get better on it's own. I wouldn't recommend you start swapping masks just yet because you're just now having such great success, and you're beginning a life change moving across country. But once you settle a bit I would suggest you look into a pillows mask. I think you're ready for it and it will provide a lot of comfort for you.

Good luck and safe journey on your move! Check in when you can, and yep, it is wonderful to not doze off behind the wheel anymore. That's my favorite thing!
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-27-2014, 12:05 PM)retired_guy Wrote:
(06-27-2014, 08:02 AM)truthornothing Wrote:
(06-26-2014, 01:00 PM)retired_guy Wrote: Good job Truth guy, way to go.

Good job!

Thanks,

Yes, now that you're a "pro" just turn the ramp off. Or increase the starting pressure for it to 8 or so.

The nosie thing will hopefully get better on it's own. I wouldn't recommend you start swapping masks just yet because you're just now having such great success, and you're beginning a life change moving across country. But once you settle a bit I would suggest you look into a pillows mask. I think you're ready for it and it will provide a lot of comfort for you.

Good luck and safe journey on your move! Check in when you can, and yep, it is wonderful to not doze off behind the wheel anymore. That's my favorite thing!

Happy to report all is good on the sleep front AHI is often below one. Its very nice not to fall asleep at stop lights. Thanks again for the help and encouragement

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi truthornothing, welcome to the forum.

I am not familiar with your machine but on my machine the ramp feature can be turned off. I turned mine off after one day of having my machine and never looked back. I had trouble tolerating low pressure even in my titration study. They had to raise the pressure (from 4) just to get me started in my titration. When I got my machine from the DME, I had that same 'can't breath' feeling. Because I had been reading here on the forum, I knew the ramp could be turned off. When the DME called me a week later to check on me, I told them I turned it off. The person I talked to seemed surprised I would do that and could tolerate going straight into pressure 10.

Congratulations on getting good results so quickly. As others have mentioned, things usually settle down after your body gets used to everything.

Good luck on your move. Take your machine with you into hotels if you require overnight stays anywhere. I travel often and although it is a bit of a hassle, it is important. You may want to consider having a power strip you keep with your machine and even an extension cord. While some hotels have good access to outlets, there are others that do not have good access. I even keep a plug adapter with me. I have never needed it but it is good to know I have one if needed.
Post Reply Post Reply
If your nose hasn't already gotten better, don't worry. I had a very sore red nose between the nostrils with the nasal mask for about a week. It just got better by itself and it doesn't bother me anymore.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  10 year CPAP user, new system and new mask and 1st time Oscar user armandxp 2 1,109 01-26-2021, 05:44 PM
Last Post: armandxp
  Long Time User...First Time 'Advanced Detail' User DerekN 25 10,156 08-11-2013, 04:59 AM
Last Post: sleepyhead2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.