Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Help! Newbie! Can nasal only work for 30 yr mouth breather
RE: Help! Newbie! Can nasal only work for 30 yr mouth breather
Just got my chinstrap yesterday and what a dramatic difference in the leaks.
Post Reply Post Reply
From a life time mouth breather and a full face mask hater I will tell you that pillows are the ticket for me. Don't know how I keep my mouth closed but am thankful I do because the idea is to get all the hardware off my face. I would try a strap if needed but the lightness and the small contact with my face is a dream, not to mention leaks are much easier to fight. You may need to keep trying different masks to find the right set up for you but never give up!
Good Luck!

Doc J (despite my nickname I am not a doctor)

Remember to donate to the board if you can, it has helped a lot of people including myself.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am 62 years old and been on cpap/apap for over 14 years and use a nasal mask. Prior to that I was a mouth breather. I trained myself to stop mouth breathing by using the chin strap to keep my mouth closed. It took awhile but I have not had to use a chin strap for most of those 14 years. My nose has stayed open for 99% of the time since I stopped mouth breeding. The only disadvantage is that my nostrils have become much larger. Probably only because they are now being used for what they were designed for.
Good Luck and stick with it. It is definitely worth it.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am a mouth breather also, I have a quarto fx full face mask and when I have it too low on my chin the air seems to choke me down, I moved the top piece near the upper part of the bridge of my nose and now it works great, good luck
Post Reply Post Reply
i didn't read the other replies, but i can tell you this. I am 41 and a mouth breather my whole life. I have a deviated septum and have restricted air thru my nostrils because of this. I started this 3 weeks ago and have been using the swift fx nasal pillows and love it!!! The pillows open up my airway so much it's great for me. Now i know you are not in the same boat because of your surgeries, I'm sure your airways are already wide open, but the fact is i was a mouth breather my whole life and have no problems with the pillows. I do need to get me a chin strap though cause i find i open my mouth a little at night...
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Newbie Q on using OSCAR for first time Tman1966 0 9 24 minutes ago
Last Post: Tman1966
  Tech Nerds-think this battery setup will work for Transcend Micro? johnbrain 7 107 5 hours ago
Last Post: johnbrain
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 33 9 hours ago
Last Post: LaraM
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 383 Yesterday, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 374 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 131 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 190 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.