Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Help On Dreamstation settings
Help On Dreamstation settings
I started therapy in January 2018 using a Respironics Dreamstation.  I did not have any problems for the first year and adapted from the very first night with no major issues until late January of this year.  I use a nasal cushion, size small with a medium frame.  I originally started with a medium cushion, but it seemed a bit too big as only the tip of my nose barely touched the medium on the sizing chart, so I moved to a small.  I try a medium every now and then, it does seem to provide a little more air flow, but after a while it leaks unless i really cinch it down and then it hurts the bottom of my nose.  My initial settings were 5-20.  After about two months that was changed to 7-20 and remain there.  Humidity was set at 3 in adaptive mode.  After the first year I began to get sinus congestion, not a lot of mucus or drainage just feeling dry and swollen which was making it harder t breath through my nose. My AHI was always pretty good usually below 2.  Since I have been fighting this issue my AHI had been less consistent.  On good nights it is the two range, on bad nights in the 5-6 range.  On a bad night I'm usually awakened with it being tough to breath.  I get up remove the mask and things come back to normal quickly.  I put the mask back on fiddle with the humidity and go back to sleep.  I know my AHI will not be good and I'll have 1 % or less of periodic breathing from fighting the issue.  This has also caused me to move to more mouth breathing which was not an issue for the first year.  I got a heated hose which helped at first.  I began with setting of 3 and 3.  Since then I have moved the humidity setting to 5 and the hose to 1.  I did this because the 5 was going to give me the highest humidity and the 1 the least heat in the hose, I don't like the warmer air.  I'm in arizona so it is pretty warm and dry already.  I do not have any sinus issue throughout the day.  So.... given where I am I know using CPAP can at times be a challenge, I don't want to stop it, so I'm wondering if I tweak my settings if things will go back to where I was when I started.  I am currently at 7-20, 1 on flex.  With heated hose use I run 5 on humidity and 1 on hose temperature.  If I go to non-heated hose I run at 3-4 on fixed.  At times I may get a little rainout on 4, that's why I got the heated hose. I have tried the dreamwear full face mask, size medium, leaks pretty bad and no improvement in mouth breathing.  I'm also thinking moving the humidity to lower numbers.  I was doing really well for better than a year so before I make any wholesale changes I have attached some charts with some good and bad nights to see if anyone has any suggestions on my settings.  -- Thanks in advance, John

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Help On Dreamstation settings
With pressure from 7-20, flow limitations, hypopnea and obstructive apnea figure prominently in your results suggesting a need for higher minimum pressure. I think your best course is to increase the minimum pressure to 8.0 and observe results, but I think you might end up at 9.0 based on 95% results. The sad fact is Philips Auto machines need to be set with a minimum pressure very close to what we'd choose for fixed CPAP because they don't respond fast enough to flow limits to prevent the obstructive events. I don't know your AFlex setting, but keep it at 1 or 2, but not 3.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleeprider-  Thanks for the input, I will make the pressure adjustments and monitor.  You asked about my A-flex, it is set to 1.  As I noted in my post I was thinking of reducing the humidity.  I read a few threads on humidity settings and found that often times less is better.   I started that last night and set the humidity to 1 and the hose temp to 1.  This made a huge difference, no stuffy nose and no dryness which surprises me, but I'll take it.  Perhaps I was over analyzing things, probably should have done this sooner.  There are so many variables, its hard to know where to start. DME's are not a lot of help. Attached is a screen shot from last evening showing the result.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Your humidity setting resulted in an improvement in obstructive events across the board with fewer OA, H and FL. Glad this was also comfortable. I still think you'd benefit from the higher minimum pressure, but this is a more comfortable looking night. The therapy that is comfortable and restful to you is normally the best, and you did a good job figuring out the humidity issue.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New CPAP user, help with Dreamstation settings IndigoLioness 10 868 12-09-2023, 04:06 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  VAUTO Settings vs. CPAP Settings MrIvanDrago 9 898 11-18-2023, 10:29 AM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  Need Help on Settings - DreamStation - Oscar Data 93celicaconv 2 522 09-15-2023, 06:23 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Dreamstation 2 settings MontanaGoat 4 414 08-15-2023, 08:57 AM
Last Post: MontanaGoat
  Unable to change my Dreamstation 2 CPAP settings mkorine1 5 5,259 05-21-2023, 10:25 AM
Last Post: Jeff Rogers
  Need help to interpret and suggest settings for my CSA, for Dreamstation ST turtlez 1 408 03-03-2023, 09:25 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  CPAP Athlete Dreamstation Settings pandaman13 28 3,365 01-27-2023, 01:05 PM
Last Post: pandaman13

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.