Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Help? Oxygen level and ResMed Astral 150
Question 
Help? Oxygen level and ResMed Astral 150
My mother's oxygen level stays steady on the canula.

When we switch her to the vent (ResMed Astral 150) at night, we have to turn up the oxygen level some.

I think there is an oxygen leak in the vent somewhere.

Last night, I ended up having to turn up the oxygen from ca. 2.6 liters (where it is set for her canula) to 4.4 liters to keep her oxygen level high enough (93-96)

A sleepless night of oxygen checks and turning the concentrator up.

New hose from concentrator to vent, no kinks, no splits. Mask fits well, no alarms going off.

Someone from the DME is coming to do a machine check today.

What should I ask them to check?

Thanks very much. Smile
====
Am caring for nonagenarian parents:  one uses a ResMed Airsense 11, and the other a ResMed Astral 150, full face masks, oxygen, humidifiers, modems.

Anyone else caring for very elderly loved ones?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Help? Oxygen level and ResMed Astral 150
Helena, any ventilator uses more air-flow than is required to be respired. This is to ensure that air won't be re-breathed. The oxygen supplied by a canula is not as diluted as when it is injected into the airflow of a ventilator. The doctor estimates the oxygen flow to increase the fraction of inspired oxygen (FiO2) above the normal atmospheric concentration to meet a patient's needs. When that oxygen is delivered through the ventilator circuit rather than a canula, the oxygen flow must be increased. This wiki we wrote explains this problem in both basic and detailed terms http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._with_CPAP

It is possible to estimate the required oxygen flow in Liters per Minute that must be delivered, depending on the vent pressure and designed leak rate of the mask. It appears you have figured this out by titration. Be assured this is normal, but requires some expertise to understand the difference between oxygen delivery via canual and via ventilator.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleeprider, thank you very much. Fascinating reading! I appreciate your help. Smile

My concern is that the oxygen level for the vent is having to be turned up higher now than in the previous months, although the level of oxygen required for the canal is lower than she has sometimes needed.
====
Am caring for nonagenarian parents:  one uses a ResMed Airsense 11, and the other a ResMed Astral 150, full face masks, oxygen, humidifiers, modems.

Post Reply Post Reply
What you describe is a normal difference between FiO2 delivered through a canula, and the need to increase the concentrator flow output to maintain the same FiO2 with a vent. We have seen individuals that use 2-L/min O2 during the day by canual, require 4 to 5 L/min when that oxygen is delivered through a vent or CPAP. Perhaps you are saying that you are needed to increase oxygen flow higher than you have in the past, assuming the ventilator and mask setup is the same? A common reason that SpO2 will drop significantly is if the leak-rate at the mask or anywhere else in the Vent circuit increases. The vent or CPAP must increase flow significantly to maintain an effective pressure when leaks are present. This means any oxygen bleed will be diluted more than when leaks are not present.

We have an Advisory Member Staceyburke that uses 5 L/min supplemental oxygen. When he has developed leaks, his SpO2 drops significantly. I'll have his stop by this thread.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
There are several factors that change the airway resistance and the breathing. It can be affected by how well any bronchodilator drugs are inhaled, nasal congestion, or pain medication. Some adjustment is needed to compensate for daily fluctuations as they occur.  The DME normally checks the oxygen concentration delivered by the concentrator.  Be aware that most concentrators max out at 5 liters, and if you find that is not sufficient, you will need her prescription and concentrator changed. We eventually needed a 10 liter machine that we had to put in a different part of the house with a long tube because of the heat and noise of 2 compressors.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have used O2 for about 15 years. I have to increase 2 L to keep O2 levels up at night 

I would purchase a cheap night time O2 monitor. They will cost 100 - 150   Make sure it records the Entire night. I have cms 50f. You don’t need to monitor every night but once ever 2 to 3 weeks.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleeprider, thank you so much for the explanations. They are very helpful. I appreciate your kind help. Smile

Lindan, thanks. It is good to know what might lie ahead. I appreciate your help.

StaceyBurke, thanks for your post. I was wondering if I could monitor all night, and have it alert me if oxygen goes too high or too low.

I will look into the cms 50f.

Still waiting for the DME tech to come check the vent.

On hold, again, with DME, waiting for answers.....
====

Post Reply Post Reply
Just a note. Any O2 monitor will have spikes (down) because of movement and poor contact with the probe. I would not set anything to wake you up. Rather look to see if you go under 88% for minutes during the night which would mean O2 might be needed at night. 

Again everyone will have some low spikes it is the duration under 88%.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
The CMS 50F has a user set low oxygen alarm. I found that mine went off frequently and cancelled it. I can feel when my oxygen levels drop making the alarm a pest.

Also I think the Astral 150 should have some alarms if you feel those may help in monitoring.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Pulmonologist is running some monitoring tests tonight. I am to write down oximeter numbers several times and record time and number. RT was here and said that one thing that could be making the oxygen level read lower on the oximeter is that the volume of air coming into the thoracic area from the vent makes the heart pump in a less expansive way and that the fingers could have less of a pulse for the oximeter to read.

Depending on what the read-out is (which the vent sends to the doctor's office), there may be an overnight oxygen monitoring test coming up.

RT said that pulmonologist said not to increase oxygen level on the concentrator above 3 for now.

My mother is on the vent because her body does not expel carbon monoxide well.

Increasing oxygen could cause problems with carbon monoxide.

I am to wait for further instructions.

Stacyburke, thanks for bringing up the duration of low oxygen times. That is part of what they are checking long distance from all the info the vent collects.

SarcasticDave, thanks for mentioning the alarms. I asked the RT about setting the alarm for low oxygen levels. She said, "No" for now. RT said I should check for symptoms more than oximeter numbers, at this point.

I am to check mask fit at low oxygen times. She is to take deep breaths and see what that does, for now.

Thank you all for you help and kindness. I appreciate it very much. Smile
====

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  traveling from sea level to SLC eok361 2 80 04-16-2024, 09:31 PM
Last Post: eok361
  Need parts for Resmed Astral 150 PappaJoe 2 178 04-03-2024, 10:36 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Bi-Level Help, Prisma 25ST Macka 0 159 03-21-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: Macka
  [CPAP] PRISMA SMART MAX PROBLEMS WITH SOFTPAP LEVEL 2 rretamalt 18 2,232 03-19-2024, 06:17 PM
Last Post: motivationalGust
  New Bi Level AC/11 VAUTO skcampbell2 19 624 03-18-2024, 02:27 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  APAP->Bi-level Titrating sleepymf 8 638 03-11-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: sleepymf
  Oxygen levels below 90% for 7% of night and below 94% for 34% inspite of Bipap bhavintu79 14 812 03-08-2024, 05:06 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.