Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Help Please! First post.
RE: Help Please! First post.
(05-06-2016, 08:44 AM)Harlon Wrote: So based on what you are seeing, do you think I'm good with the machine I have now? Or should I be considering something else?

I'm pretty sure your Autoset will do the job. Let's sort out the leaks and comfort factors and I think you'll be good to go.

Having said that, it is five years old and your insurance might cover you for a new machine. This would probably require a sleep test and a whole lot of rigmarole. So long as your machine's working OK at the moment, stay with it until you get all the basics sorted.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-06-2016, 09:20 AM)Harlon Wrote: Also - the mask I am currently using is a FlexiFit 431. So based on the fact that it is leaking, are there any other suggestions before I call? I can order a new mask, but I'd be totally guessing (as I was when I selected the 431).

Well we really need to know why it's leaking. There are a number of possibilities: 1) It's the wrong mask for you 2) It's the right mask but it's not fitting properly 3) It's the right mask but the cushion is old and lost its seal, else the headgear has stretched 4) None of the above, but you have knocked it loose when rolling over in bed. Consider if any of the above apply to you.

There's a video on how to fit it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3_3ujHFxhk

Post Reply Post Reply
Doggoneit! I think I agree again.

The S9 is working great for you and I think it can be optimized. If you want to upgrade to a Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset, that is between you and your insurance. You will get the same results in a newer format. There is nothing to suggest you need a different type of machine.

I have no experience with the Flexifit 430 F&P mask. It is a relatively inexpensive full-face and I would recommend spending some quality time investigating and trying some alternatives. If you have a supportive DME supplier, express your interests in overcoming the comfort and leak issues that have been the key problem in your therapy, and let them help. Normally they will help you with fitting and selection, and let you exchange masks if things are not working out. You're way overdue for a new mask, put the DME to work for you.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-04-2016, 02:41 AM)Harlon Wrote: Hi. My name is Harlon. I'm new to the site so I guess this is my hello!! I was diagnosed with sleep apnea 5 years ago. Like many of you here (I'm sure) I thought the sleep study was a stupid waste of time. Come to find out I stop breathing 23 times a minutes. They say that is moderate. IDK. But they gave me a CPAP (ResMed S9). When I picked it up they just handed it to me and said "thanks". Now 5 years later I can't hardly use the thing (I swear I sleep better without it). I find it bulky, awkward and I feel that my exhaling against the pressure tires me out as much as snoring. I don't know what to do. I don't even know what my pressure is supposed to be. I realize this is a serious issue. My dad died suddenly at 63, and I'm pretty sure sleep apnea was a reason for that. I'm 46 and suddenly worried about my health. I can't keep this heavy snoring thing up. I walked into my (only) local sleep doctor and told him "I'd like to try a BiPAP. Maybe multiple pressures is what I need". He says "cool" and does the paperwork. Insurance is now pushing back. And I don't even know what the hell a BiPAP is. I just saw it on a website. Now I see something called APAP. Please - I need to start learning what this is I'm dealing with and what I need to do to treat it. I have had zero help. I want to give up, but I also do not. I have 2 daughters who think I'm super dad (I am, by the way) and now a grandson who thinks I'm the greatest thing since doggie kisses. And so I'd like to figure this out and make good and intelligent decisions and hang around a while. Can anyone recommend a doctor in the Houston area that can actually tell me what this is I'm dealing with and what this pain in the butt machine does for me???? Thank you. Sorry to ramble and to come off as an idiot. But I want this to improve my life. I'm tired of being tired. I'm tired if my wife sleeping in another room. I'm tired of not being able to concentrate. Etc. Etc. Etc. Thank you!

I just thought I'd quote your first post. I love it when someone comes here with a problem and sticks with the same thread as they work it out. Look how far you have come in a short time. You now understand what machine you have and how to change the settings to make it work better for you. It's at least a work in progress, and you get credit for not quitting, and coming back to make this work.

What this shows is that you were dumped on with a machine and no support. You are entitled to support that ensures you tolerate the therapy, get decent results, and that when something is not working right, it gets fixed. Use that new knowledge to get a new mask picked out, and I think you'll not only resolve your own issues, but soon will be helping other people that come here with similar problems.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi, Harlon,
Am sort of a transplanted Texan nowadays, but If I were in Houston now, I'd try to line myself up with an appointment at Baylor/St. Luke's. My thinking is that they're known for being a really good outfit, and it's a pretty good bet that whoever in the sleep medicine department it would be who would get your case would have the skills you need. I don't know anyone who has been there for sleep medicine, but had family travel from Corpus to get a niece treated there for pulmonary issues, and my dad flew there from D.C. for bypass surgery - lots of good places here, but St. Luke's was the only place to be as far as he was concerned. Wasn't really involved in my niece's situation but had a front row seat for Dad's and could tell when he got back here that they took really good care of him. Good luck ... and go get some good barbecue for me, I sure do miss it!
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-06-2016, 02:25 PM)FormerFed Wrote: Good luck ... and go get some good barbecue for me, I sure do miss it!

Oh yeah - hard to beat BBQ and Mexican food from these parts! I'll sure keep you in mind next time I'm making a huge mess! And thank you for the advice!
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleeprider and DeepBreathing (and everyone else who has replied) - thanks so much for all your advice and for your encouragement. My only regret is I failed to do all this research 5 years ago, but I admit I was against it and hated the thought of wearing this thing. I guess age and experience have changed me. I have a new mask on the way. I'll give it some time, if it doesn't suit me I can swap it out. And I'll report back when things have lined out a bit. And when I have more knowledge I'll surely help others here when I can.

Thanks again!!
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-06-2016, 08:44 AM)Harlon Wrote: So based on what you are seeing, do you think I'm good with the machine I have now? Or should I be considering something else?

If your sleep is improving, I'd say stick with what's working. The newer machines are not really much different than the S9. The only reason I upgraded was because my machine was 9 years old, not an APAP, and not data-capable.

Good luck.
Just my personal opinion.  My posts are not medical advice or a statement of fact.  Please consult a qualified physician or other qualified medical personnel.  Please comply with all applicable laws, codes, regulations, and protocols.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] First Post - Can't stay asleep with CPAP DKane 9 165 Yesterday, 12:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Arrow Your Personal CPAP Success Story - Post Here SuperSleeper 1,364 626,092 03-24-2024, 07:19 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
Question [Diagnosis] First post-CPAP visit to Sleep Doc - What to talk about? FlyAU98 6 188 03-23-2024, 09:08 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  r4robin - Therapy Thread (Help with BiLevel settings-post #5) r4robin 42 1,840 03-11-2024, 01:26 PM
Last Post: bertchintus
  First Post - Help with Settings Ideas jrudicel 3 173 03-10-2024, 12:10 PM
Last Post: jrudicel
  First post, provider is not much help. DPAlaska 2 271 01-26-2024, 07:53 PM
Last Post: DPAlaska
  [CPAP] New User Struggling - PSG and CPAP Data Post PSG1 4 2,117 01-08-2024, 06:57 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.