Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Help Please, with Oscar Data
RE: Help Please, with Oscar Data
So for the 1st 2 weeks it was looking like moving from a DS to the AS10 lowered my AHI a bit. With the DS I was seeing an AHI of +/- 1. The AS10 seemed to lower it to AHI .6 with the EPR=2.

One of the suggestions to me was to raise the EPR to 3. I did that for a week starting July 20th. And now it looks like my AHI went back up.

Do you think I should keep EPR=3 and collect more data or lower it back to 2 and see if my AHI drops?

Here's a summary of my AHI. My next post will be the OSCAR reports for last night.

And these are the OSCAR screenshots from last night.

(I haven't tried increasing my min pressure yet, which was another suggestion, just trying one change at a time)

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Increasing EPR to 3 without an increase in minimum pressure left you more vulnerable to obstructive events. It makes sense that if you lower the minimum EPAP by increasing the amount of exhale pressure relief by 1-cm, that any increase in events should be in obstructive events. I don't see much in the way of CA so, I think you can either go back to EPR 2, or follow the original advise which was EPR 3 with minimum pressure 9.0. The obstructive events seem to occur mostly in clusters over a short period of time. This may be minor positional apnea or chin-tucking. Not suggesting a soft cervical collar, but be aware that a thicker, higher pillow and head/neck position can account for this. http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...onal_Apnea
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks,

I'll stay at EPR=3 and increase min pressure to 9 (already done for tonight) and watch that over the coming days. I don't use a high pillow, it's fairly low, so I'd guess it's more head/neck position than my pillow.

(Sorry about only making 1 of the 2 suggested changes. I guess it goes back to my working days, a techie environment, where we only liked to make 1 change at a time to see the effects of just 'that' change.)
Post Reply Post Reply
In a way increasing EPR and pressure at the same time is only making one difference, it increases IPAP by 1 cm while holding EPAP constant. EPAP is a more critical variable than IPAP because it is the minimum pressure the machine uses and is what holds your airway open.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think I get what you're trying to 'teach' me. 

With the min pressure at 8 and EPR=2 ... assuming the machine was delivering the min pressure during inhalation, then on exhalation the pressure would be 6. 

If I change both min pressure to 9 and EPR to 3 ... likewise assuming the machine was delivering the min pressure during inhalation, then on exhalation the pressure would still be 6. 

So even though two value were changed (min from 8 to 9 & EPR from 2 to 3), actually only 1 was changed the min pressure. 

So much to learn about to understand my CPAP therapy. For the last 3 1/2 years I just put the mask on and used the machine. Now I've finally trying to understand how the settings effect my therapy and what the OSCAR graphs are trying to tell me.
Post Reply Post Reply
You got it Mike.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi, time to stop back with updates and questions about my therapy since moving to a Resmed Airsense 10. I started with these settings.

1. Min=8, Max=16, EPR=2 which averaged an AHI=.63

Then after suggestioins from 'you folks' I changed to:

2. Min=8, Max=16, EPR=3 which averaged an AHI=1.17

oops, I didn't make the changed correctly as suggested because I left the Min=8. So I changed that to 9

3. Min=8, Max=16, EPR=3 which averaged an AHI=.83

My last month's average using the recalled Dreamstation 1: AHI=.92

So currently I am doing a bit better with the AS10 but I'm curious if I should go back and try the original settings where I was getting an average AHI=.63 or was that just my 1st week honeymoon with the new machine and everything was just going right for me that 1st week?

I attached my AHI summary and a daily statistics from one of my highest AHI's (1.54 on Aug. 3rd ) on the current settings. I'm still reading and re-reading the Wiki on OSCAR but still such a novice interpreting the graphs, I'm again asking for comments on the attached OSCAR graphs.

Thanks.

Post Reply Post Reply
Crickets ... silence ... not one comment or observation offered? Did I forget to put on my deodorant before posting.  Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
If your highest AHI is just over 1.5, there really isn't anything to comment about. You are in excellent shape, and there is nothing to change.
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'll have to agree with Phil. Once your results are under 2-AHI and you are using only a fraction of your pressure range, this looks pretty good without more input on how you feel. I think most of your residual obstructive events are chin-tucking, but not severe enough to warrant a soft cervical collar, and centrals are not an issue. What do you think?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Adjusting Settings based on Oscar data rygonzo93 4 68 2 hours ago
Last Post: gainerfull
  Help reading OSCAR data JenniferJuniper 24 1,277 10 hours ago
Last Post: JenniferJuniper
  [CPAP] Help with OSCAR data to help improve sleep Akaharu 7 253 Today, 04:04 AM
Last Post: Akaharu
  [CPAP] OSCAR Data Review for New User goodfella7763 3 184 04-15-2024, 08:42 PM
Last Post: goodfella7763
  Just getting started, looking for an OSCAR data review mattcole3 3 108 04-12-2024, 12:56 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Help - OSCAR Data Flspearfisher 2 386 04-11-2024, 01:09 PM
Last Post: Flspearfisher
  Oscar Data Interpretation UPDATED Johand77 1 111 04-10-2024, 08:37 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.